26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have no idea whether this is required or not..

We need pay more tax if my hubby and me join account... struggling...... any suggestion??

- 7/23/2008 came to US with F-1 visa
- 9/11/2012 I-485, I-130 and I-765 package sent to USCIS Chicago lockbox
- 9/12/2012 package delivered and signed by XXX
- 9/14/2012 received email with receipt numbers
- 9/17/2012 check cashed
- 9/30/2012 received hard copy of biometrics appointment on 10/19/2012, notice dated on 9/21/2012
- 10/12/2012 successfully walk-in one week earlier without asking reason at New York Long Island City office
- 11/5/2012 started to work in a new firm
- 11/11/2012 EAD approved!!! AWESOME!
- 11/19/2012 EAD card delivered, one day ahead of my birthday!
- 1/11/2013 received txt and email about interview time
- 2/14/2013 interview - Got APPROVED on the spot!!
- 2/27/2013 USCIS online update - 485 decision!! we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status :) Later, my 130 update too!!!
- 3/4/2013 Card Production!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- 11/24/2014 I-751 package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center to remove conditions

- 11/25/2014 package was delivered and signed by XXX

- 11/26/2014 check cashed @16:49 before thanksgiving!

- 12/17/2014 bio letter received, scheduled on Dec 30, 2014 11:00 AM

- 12/19/2014 early bio done in Long Island City Office!

Good Luck!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have no idea whether this is required or not..

We need pay more tax if my hubby and me join account... struggling...... any suggestion??

Read the post linked below and it might answer your question:

http://www.visajourn...used-about-tax/

Timeline

Why do you need to pay more? Usually you pay less with filing jointly than with filing separately.

it is complicated.. I wish I knew some tax rules. Since I am F1 student working with my CPT and in US less than 5 calendar years, I am a non resident. So I am eligible for waiving my SSN/Med care tax. Also, there is a 5000 US-China treaty. The first 5,000 is waived for tax. If I join my hubby's account. I will be treated as resident and pay more.. But I will ask our accountant to calculate both ways.. maybe the final results are the same....

Read the post linked below and it might answer your question:

http://www.visajourn...used-about-tax/

thank you!! same issure resident and non resident. only difference is I have a 1099 form not paying anything last year!! That is so annoying!!

- 9/17/2012 check cashed
- 9/30/2012 received hard copy of biometrics appointment on 10/19/2012, notice dated on 9/21/2012
- 10/12/2012 successfully walk-in one week earlier without asking reason at New York Long Island City office
- 2/27/2013 USCIS online update - 485 decision!! we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status :) Later, my 130 update too!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- 11/24/2014 I-751 package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center to remove conditions

Good Luck!!

Filed: Timeline

it is complicated.. I wish I knew some tax rules. Since I am F1 student working with my CPT and in US less than 5 calendar years, I am a non resident. So I am eligible for waiving my SSN/Med care tax. Also, there is a 5000 US-China treaty. The first 5,000 is waived for tax. If I join my hubby's account. I will be treated as resident and pay more.. But I will ask our accountant to calculate both ways.. maybe the final results are the same....

thank you!! same issure resident and non resident. only difference is I have a 1099 form not paying anything last year!! That is so annoying!!

Actually, those sections of the China-U.S. tax treaty in particular apply to residents as well as nonresidents.

As for the FICA taxes, it's unclear whether you would owe them if you elect to be treated as a resident. On this page, it has a line that says "In addition, you may still be treated as a nonresident alien for the purpose of withholding Social Security and Medicare tax." Some people take that to mean that you would not owe them since you did not as a nonresident; but other people on the Internet think otherwise.

Timeline

Actually, those sections of the China-U.S. tax treaty in particular apply to residents as well as nonresidents.

As for the FICA taxes, it's unclear whether you would owe them if you elect to be treated as a resident. On this page, it has a line that says "In addition, you may still be treated as a nonresident alien for the purpose of withholding Social Security and Medicare tax." Some people take that to mean that you would not owe them since you did not as a nonresident; but other people on the Internet think otherwise.

really? However, I started to use my EAD card last december even my I20 still hasn't expired. I guess I should be treated by resident in any way. So If I am selected "non resident spouse treated as resident", I should pay resident tax in the whole year not the part?

Wish you best of luck!! Really great to see some accounting profesional here!!

- 9/17/2012 check cashed

Good Luck!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

practice identifying taxable income on you, todayish, aye?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

really? However, I started to use my EAD card last december even my I20 still hasn't expired. I guess I should be treated by resident in any way. So If I am selected "non resident spouse treated as resident", I should pay resident tax in the whole year not the part?

Well, you were F1 most of the year, so even if you possibly lost your F1 status in December, that would not be enough to make you a resident for the year, unless you actually got your green card by December 31. I am not sure what you mean by "resident tax". If you mean the FICA tax (Social Security and Medicare), it is my interpretation that you don't have to go back and pay it (plus the company is responsible for deducting it, not you; so how would you pay it anyway?), but you might want to get some more opinions about this.

Timeline

Well, you were F1 most of the year, so even if you possibly lost your F1 status in December, that would not be enough to make you a resident for the year, unless you actually got your green card by December 31. I am not sure what you mean by "resident tax". If you mean the FICA tax (Social Security and Medicare), it is my interpretation that you don't have to go back and pay it (plus the company is responsible for deducting it, not you; so how would you pay it anyway?), but you might want to get some more opinions about this.

Thanks for your suggestion! We will go to a professional accountant this saturday my hubby goes to every year. Let's see. Much appreciated your help!!!!!

- 9/17/2012 check cashed

Good Luck!!

I also would like to confirm if I file my taxes jointly with my husband it is necessary to include a letter/statement explaining that I was non-resident for the tax year but decided to file as a resident for tax purposes?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i say do a paper return , as it's yer first year.

first year for a lot of things, aye?

first year having that SSN or ITIN

first year filing with that status.

Turbo Tax can be used for prep, but print it out, no e-file available, as she won't be able to pass the 'prior year lookup' that turbotax does with the SSA.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Whether you are a non-resident alien or a resident alien you should be paying FICA and Medicare taxes. The U.S. - China tax treaty only covers income taxes and there isn't a "Totalization Agreement" between the U.S. and China on Social Security taxes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.