^_^

Education... another thing the liberals are wrong about!!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Research presented here by researchers from Wabash College -- and based on national data sets -- finds that there may be a minimal relationship between what colleges spend on education and the quality of the education students receive. Further, the research suggests that colleges that spend a fraction of what others do, and operate with much higher student-faculty ratios and greater use of part-time faculty members, may be succeeding educationally as well as their better-financed (and more prestigious) counterparts.

The research did not rule out some impact from higher spending at some institutions, but suggested that, in many cases, the gains are small -- and the costs (in higher tuition) are large.

The study raised the question of whether those who attend a regional public master's university might be getting 90 percent of the value of an education at an elite private for 20 percent of the cost.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/01/25/study-casts-doubt-idea-spending-more-student-leads-better-educational-outcomes

Filed: Timeline

The faculty do seem to be more accessible at the state university level, than they do at the larger, more expensive universities. I remember some heated arguments we had in some of our classes, that challenged the authority of the professor, that would never be tolerated in an elite institution, with an elitist faculty. We ended up with an older student body at Sonoma State University, than they had at Berkeley, or Stanford. There was an outright mutiny against one former UCB Physics professor, that had to be mitigated by the Department head, not by admonishing the students, but by publicly rebuking the prof.

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1359408837' post='5946309]

Research presented here by researchers from Wabash College -- and based on national data sets -- finds that there may be a minimal relationship between what colleges spend on education and the quality of the education students receive. Further, the research suggests that colleges that spend a fraction of what others do, and operate with much higher student-faculty ratios and greater use of part-time faculty members, may be succeeding educationally as well as their better-financed (and more prestigious) counterparts.

The research did not rule out some impact from higher spending at some institutions, but suggested that, in many cases, the gains are small -- and the costs (in higher tuition) are large.

The study raised the question of whether those who attend a regional public master's university might be getting 90 percent of the value of an education at an elite private for 20 percent of the cost.

http://www.insidehig...tional-outcomes

Odd isn't it that many of our Elders went to school in poor districts with very little money, but were very well educated .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Odd isn't it that many of our Elders went to school in poor districts with very little money, but were very well educated .

Your subject title is well beyond misleading and very close to blatant, pulled it out of your xxx, outright BS!

Other than that, what you quote here is not news to anybody who has paid attention. For most people 90% is good enough but for some they want the best, especially in education. The best of anything often costs a LOT more than that which is just 'good enough'! And the quality of the education depends at least as much on the quality of the student as it does that of the school! This is neither a liberal or a conservative issue, just simple facts.

Your subject title is well beyond misleading and very close to blatant, pulled it out of your xxx, outright BS!

Other than that, what you quote here is not news to anybody who has paid attention. For most people 90% is good enough but for some they want the best, especially in education. The best of anything often costs a LOT more than that which is just 'good enough'! And the quality of the education depends at least as much on the quality of the student as it does that of the school! This is neither a liberal or a conservative issue, just simple facts.

My subject title ??? I don't have no stinking subject title. You have gone off the reservation

Timeline

My subject title ??? I don't have no stinking subject title. You have gone off the reservation

Sorry. Was trying to reply to OP! :blush:

Edited by james&olya

Sorry. Was trying to reply to OP! :blush:

Go forth and sin no more my son :)

As a trained teacher who has worked in developing and developed countries, I can attest that student motivation, not money or high teach toys, is the leading indicator of student success. When kids know and believe that they are responsible for their academic outcomes, they will succeed. When failure leads to no negative consequences for the student, failure surely follows, no matter how much money is thrown at the situation.

As a trained teacher who has worked in developing and developed countries, I can attest that student motivation, not money or high teach toys, is the leading indicator of student success. When kids know and believe that they are responsible for their academic outcomes, they will succeed. When failure leads to no negative consequences for the student, failure surely follows, no matter how much money is thrown at the situation.

I agree. Student motivation is often the biggest issue. I had a class in college that was a "give me" and the teacher pretty much handed everyone an A but still some students didn't pass. Often it has nothing to do with money or the teachers.

Timeline

I agree. Student motivation is often the biggest issue. I had a class in college that was a "give me" and the teacher pretty much handed everyone an A but still some students didn't pass. Often it has nothing to do with money or the teachers.

True! Employers are aware of the differences between different schools. A degree from some schools is worth little more than the paper it is printed upon. I am glad I went to a school where you had to earn your grades. It is harder but it is an investment. You get more back when you invest more. Invest almost nothing and that is what your reurn is likely to be!

True! Employers are aware of the differences between different schools. A degree from some schools is worth little more than the paper it is printed upon. I am glad I went to a school where you had to earn your grades. It is harder but it is an investment. You get more back when you invest more. Invest almost nothing and that is what your reurn is likely to be!

I agree. ITT comes to mind as a school of little value from a employers stand point. With universities I think it is all about making sure that the degree you're going for is accredited.