Alcatraz63

K1 Police report query

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

We are still waiting to hear back on the NOA2 but trying to get everything ready. With regards to the police reports from countries you have lived in over 12 months. I had a working holiday visa and i was in Australia for two days short of a year. Is this classed as under or over 12 months?

I'm obviously trying to avoid having to get a police report from Australia as it costs $99 and they require fingerprints which seems like a huge hassle.

If it is required, does anyone have any experience of getting one and what's the fastest way?

Thanks

Edited by Alcatraz63

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

We are still waiting to hear back on the NOA2 but trying to get everything ready. With regards to the police reports from countries you have lived in over 12 months. I had a working holiday visa and i was in Australia for two days short of a year. Is this classed as under or over 12 months?

I'm obviously trying to avoid having to get a police report from Australia as it costs $99 and they require fingerprints which seems like a huge hassle.

If it is required, does anyone have any experience of getting one and what's the fastest way?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know its a cost and a pain in the neck. But I would do it. so it dose not look like you aqre trying to hide any thing. be forth coming and all will be well. just what I think

Timeline

I know its a cost and a pain in the neck. But I would do it. so it dose not look like you aqre trying to hide any thing. be forth coming and all will be well. just what I think

That's what i thought. I've read reports it can take 3 months though? That's ridiculous.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks

In France they ask for police records from countries you have lived in for at least a year. I guess each embassy can interpret the guidelines the way they want?

Anyway, for 2 days, I would play safe and get the police certificate. It costs money and takes time but this whole process is expensive and awfully long...

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

That's what i thought. I've read reports it can take 3 months though? That's ridiculous.

You will have to get your fingerprints taken at a UK police station. There. Is a list on the London embassy website of the approved stations that can do that for you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks

Check the requirements carefully. Kiev required a police certificate for any country in which you lived for more than 6 months.

I can assure you if your visa is witheld because you did nto spend the $99 or get fingerprints, you will WISH you had. This process is a hassle, get used to it. Any time you can avoid a problem for the low, low price of $99...jump on it.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thats why you need to do it NOW and not wait 3 months for your visa to be issued. The police certificate is valid for ONE YEAR in any consulate regardless of what it says. You can start on it now and have it ready for the interview. Are you willing to risk a 3 month delay for $99?

If you are unsure, email the consulate and ask them, give them the exact specifics and see what they answer

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

The police certificate is valid for ONE YEAR in any consulate regardless of what it says.

Exception to the rule (I guess): beautiful embassy of paris: french police certificate must be less than 3 months old (this was what was written in my packet 3, in bold). But they don't say anything about how old police certificates from other countries the applicant lived in can be. Doesn't make sense.

Edit: I really don't mean to freak out the OP. Most cases must be exactly what Gary said. He knows what he is talking about. Just want to point out that there are some inexplicable exceptions.

Edited by CaroSL

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Timeline

Check the requirements carefully. Kiev required a police certificate for any country in which you lived for more than 6 months.

I can assure you if your visa is witheld because you did nto spend the $99 or get fingerprints, you will WISH you had. This process is a hassle, get used to it. Any time you can avoid a problem for the low, low price of $99...jump on it.

I checked the requirements. Here it advises from the US embassy ...

Police Certificates: Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S. Please follow this link for further information.

I am going to get it anyway. I found the link online for which police station to go to. I just hope they can electronically take my prints and i dont have to have them taken by ink, then send them via mail.

Timeline

Also, Does the London embassy accept co-sponsors for the K1? My fiancée is here with me in the UK and has been for the last 3 months ( Hopefully until we are approved for the visa). Therefore, She is unemployed at the moment. Her mother and father have both said they would be willing to do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.