Help needed

I overstayed in the US for 3 months, now I want to go back to the US to visit

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm new to here. And I really need your help.

Here is my story of overstay -

I entered the US with F-1 student visa for grad school in 2008 and kept legal status while I was in the U.S.. When I finished my OPT, I went back to my country on time. After I went back to Taiwan, I got a M-1 student visa for flight school and came back to the US for school. I-94 expired on August 24. 2012.

After finished my M-1, I got a job offer (related to my grad school major) when I was in M-1 grace period. They submitted my H1B application before my grace period ended. Then about a month later, my H1B got denied because of cap-exempt rule. (long story..)

I started to pack and tried to sell my stuff, contract of the place I was living and my car. Meanwhile, Thanksgiving and Christmas were coming, I thought if I already overstayed since the day after H1B got denied, couple of more days overstay shouldn't change anything. I decided to go back after Christmas because I'm the only Christian in my family and we don't celebrate those big holidays in Taiwan anyway. So I could celebrate these two holidays with my friend and her family.

I overstayed for about 2.5 months after h1b application got denied.

I have no intent to stay illegally, otherwise I wouldn't come back to Taiwan after I overstayed. Now my best friend's sister (I'm very close to her family while I was in the US) is getting married in May and I really want to attend her wedding. I'm just wondering what kind of problems I will have when I re-enter the U.S.? Or how can I enter the U.S. without causing any problems?

P.s. my country just joined visa waiver program not too long ago, and I haven't used it yet.

My M-1 visa grace period expired on Sep 23, 2012

H1b application got denied on Oct 17, 2012 (Lawyer told me that we were not going to appeal on Oct 24, 2012)

I went back to my country on Jan 3, 2013

p.p.s. I already got a manager job in a big company in Taiwan. Will this be enough to show I have ties to my home country?

Thanks for your answers and help.

Well you don't have a ban, that doesn't mean it will be easy to get a tourist visa.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

It doesn't hurt to try the VWP. You have to fill out an ESTA and see if you get approved for travel. If not, your only other option is to apply for a different kind of visa which may or may not be approved. An employment letter showing you have ties to Taiwan is great, but will only help you for, say, a tourist visa B2, or at POE. I'm not an expert in any of this by any means, so if someone else has more information than me, please respond.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Here is the link for the ESTA:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The chances of being approved for VWP with such a recent overstay are near zero and you will also have a hard time getting a visitors visa. You may have a wait for a few years before coming back.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

thanks guys, for your response. If anyone has more opinion, I'd like to hear them.

I also found this, (sorry, can't post a link yet due to being a new member)

britishexpatsdotcom/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

it says,

An overstay or breach of conditions if you had a U.S. visa does not make you ineligible to use the VWP (so long as you did not overstay long enough to cause a 3 or 10 year ban to be imposed, and the ban is still in force) but you may want to avoid the risk of problems on arrival by obtaining a U.S. tourist visa. Of course, applying for a tourist visa does carry a risk of refusal.

Can anyone verify this statement is true? Since I overstayed on M-1 student visa instead of VWP.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by CarrieW

It's true. You could try for the ESTA. Answer all the questions honestly.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.