Found Frolicking

2012 Canadian Applicants Thread

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

We met online in chat, did that for over a year, met and the rest is history :) I'm really looking forward to the day that I just be with him all the time, even though flights can add up we try and see each other at least once every month or 1.5 months. It makes waiting a little bit easier, I always have a next visit to count down too. :)

Its nice to see lots of people from Alberta, my home province! I'm an Albertan living in Ontario.

I'm from BC, and my fiance is from the DC area also! We try to see each other every few months, but our finances are limited. Our journey is almost over, just need one more paper and I'm done!

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Met my husband playing CoD: Modern Warfare 2 on Aug 20, 2011. I Facebook stalked him after a few emails and found out we had the same birthday, Feb 20. Lol. We emailed a lot because at the time he was in the USAF and stationed in Guam. He left there Nov 2011 and moved to CO. By this time after gtalk and emails we decided we just had so much in common and it felt like we both filled a part that was missing. Basically I knew I loved him and that I wanted him around forever. He knew he loved me too. It was so quick but I can't imagine it any slower. It might have been we'd done it all in person but online you spend so much time talking. Lol. I met for the first time in person in CO after Xmas 2011.

After that we knew it wasn't just in our heads. We talked about him moving up here. I am pretty good at research and knew it would take a while, but it would be easier if we were common-law too. He asked me in Jan if I would want to live with him. It was a hard thing for him because he had been married once before and it lasted less than a year. He knew he loved me but he still felt that he wanted to take it slower. A week later I guess that was out the window because he asked me to marry him. Lol!

I have a daughter from a previous relationship and I felt it was important that they meet for a decent amount of time. As he was job searching but also thinking of going to school (probably up here) he came up for a month and a week in Feb 2012. We were able to spend our first birthday together. He fell in love with my daughter, who in time herself has told him she loves him too. As long as she liked him, I never expected more from her. Neither did her and never told her how he felt until she said it first. If she hasn't liked him at all that would have drastically changed my life from how it is now.

We were married by my mom, who is a minister in BC, on May 20, 2012. It was small and simple with some of my family there and none of his. Our best friends couldn't make it. Mine never forgave me and after her wedding in July hasn't talked to me. I don't understand. I didn't get to visit him again until Aug. He finally found a job so we started looking into me moving there. He has a career job with the FAA. Its hard because my daughter wants to stay with her Dad. She's lived with him since we broke up because we both felt it was more stable for her to stay in the same house, with her room and stuff. I have a room for her where I live now but when I first moved out I didn't have a place to live and stayed with friends. She's also almost 10 and we both think she is allowed some choice in this. If she chooses to come live with us in the USA then her father says that's okay too. We both want her to be happy. Its one of the hardest things I've ever done is to make a choice to keep living my life. I spent 9 years on hold because I was too scared to leave.

My hubs and I won't be having any kids. I had decided a while ago I didn't want any more kids and had my tubes tied. He never wanted kids to begin with even though he'd be a fantastic father IMHO. Too scared he'd turn into his dad I guess.

Anyhow that's our story. I've visited him again in Oct and Jan. He has a lot of training to do in the FAA the first year so visiting will be pretty limited the rest of the year. He has to save up his vacation time for when I eventually move too as he only gets 2 weeks a year right now. I got an extra week at Xmas but I've used up that and any paid time off as well. So our birthday this year will be spent with him in OK city and me here. The same with our 1 year anniversary. I hope that by next year this time, we won't ever have to spend those alone again. :-)

Sorry for the novel! LOL. It's the first time I've written it all out for a while. Guess I could have went with the shortened version.

That is such a sweet story :)!!!

We eloped in Calgary, and my parents weren't there. Pretty sure they're still mad about that ;)! Must have been so nice to be married by your own mom!

Dreadful how expensive and straining it is on a relationship to have to be apart :(. But yes, hopefully it is only for now, and then you'll be united for good! They say absence makes the heart grow fonder! At least there's always Skype! Wish I had known about it before I came up here, when my husband and I were trying to be long distance! Would have helped a lot!

Our History - 5 years of marriage, known each other for 8 years (and counting!)
06/15/2006 - Met my husband online
05/06/2007 - Met in person for the first time in San Francisco, CA
11/04/2007 - Met in person again for two weeks in San Francisco, CA
12/15/2007 - Decide to be friends, due to distance
06/01/2009 - Entered Canada with my husband, intending to return to the US (started living together)
06/09/2009 - My husband and I fall in love
09/20/2009 - Married in Calgary, AB, Canada
06/09/2010 - 1st Anniversary
06/09/2011 - 2nd Anniversary
12/18/2011 - Expecting our first child
06/09/2012 - 3rd Anniversary
08/31/2012 - Our son is born in St. Albert, AB, Canada

06/09/2013 - 4th Anniversary

06/09/2014 - 5th Anniversary

USCIS - 36 days
12/10/2012 - Mailed I-130
01/01/2013 - Received NOA1 email
01/11/2013 - Received NOA1 letter in mail
02/05/2013 - NOA2 (Approved) but update is not reflected anywhere
02/19/2013 - Received NOA2 letter in mail

NVC
03/06/2013 - AOS fee invoice received
04/18/2013 - AOS fee paid
04/21/2013 - AOS paperwork mailed

01/06/2014 - Supporting documents requested

06/24/2014 - Mailed supporting documents

07/03/2014 - Email verifying documents were received

07/10/2014 - Received interview date

08/11/2014 - Scheduled medical

08/15/2014 - Scheduled interview date (APPROVED!)

08/18/2014 - Visa status changes to ISSUED on CEAC website

08/19/2014 - Waybill # for Loomis arrives in e-mail

08/20/2014 - Visa/Passport ready for pick up early morning

Timeline

In a way, I guess it's a good thing, because based on what she said, we didn't end up paying her to actually handle our case and only lost $150. Of course, she also told us there was NO WAY we could get married in the US without the government thinking we were trying to commit immigration fraud--yeah, even if he returned to Canada immediately after--so we filed the marriage license in Ontario, where it takes four effing months to register a marriage. That slowed us down more than anything!

I'm from the Bay Area.

Very cool!!! I am only familiar with Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco. But I miss it dearly! Alberta is such a far cry from it ;)!

Hi everyone!

We met online in chat, did that for over a year, met and the rest is history :) I'm really looking forward to the day that I just be with him all the time, even though flights can add up we try and see each other at least once every month or 1.5 months. It makes waiting a little bit easier, I always have a next visit to count down too. :)

Its nice to see lots of people from Alberta, my home province! I'm an Albertan living in Ontario.

I wish I were in Ontario! If only because the trip to Montreal for the immigration and medical would be a lot easier on us that way! Where in AB are you from?

06/01/2009 - Entered Canada with my husband, intending to return to the US (started living together)

USCIS - 36 days

NVC

My husband and I met on Match.com We talked online for about 2 weeks and then decided to meet for coffee. I live in Windsor and he lives in Detroit so we're about 1 hour away from each other by car. We dated for 3.5 years and got married last year. We filed last year and are now in the middle of the NVC maze :whistle:

That is such a sweet story :)!!!

We eloped in Calgary, and my parents weren't there. Pretty sure they're still mad about that ;)! Must have been so nice to be married by your own mom!

Dreadful how expensive and straining it is on a relationship to have to be apart :(. But yes, hopefully it is only for now, and then you'll be united for good! They say absence makes the heart grow fonder! At least there's always Skype! Wish I had known about it before I came up here, when my husband and I were trying to be long distance! Would have helped a lot!

Skype is a life saver. I'm not sure how I'd survive without it. LOL It was nice to be married by my mom. She's a minister but I had a non-denominational wedding. During one part we were supposed to have a hand fasting but I forgot the ribbon at my sister's house! EEK! Probably the main thing that went wrong that day, but I'm pretty happy with overall. :) I have the ribbon, maybe we'll do it another day. It was spring, there were flowers, and it was green everywhere in the Okanagan.

I haven't met his mom or his dad, or his brother and his family. I can't wait to do so. He's met all of mine, at least the important ones. I'm pretty happy we have NOA2. I can't wait to get the NVC process done. I want my daughter to be able to come down and visit for a good chunk of the summer so that she feels happy and comfortable here too. We only have a 1 bdrm appt right now, but eventually we'll have at least a 2 bdrm house so that she has her own room.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I just found out I can pick up my police certificate today! For the first time during this whole approval pending process, I am happy. I am hoping to have my visa in my hot little hands by the end of next week!

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

Timeline

I just found out I can pick up my police certificate today! For the first time during this whole approval pending process, I am happy. I am hoping to have my visa in my hot little hands by the end of next week!

That is wonderful news!!! Congrats!!! Hope everything goes smoothly from here! Wish I were as close as you to having it all over with ;)!

USCIS - 36 days

NVC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from BC, and my fiance is from the DC area also! We try to see each other every few months, but our finances are limited. Our journey is almost over, just need one more paper and I'm done!

Oh Sweet! I love the area (BC and DC..heh.), both are beautiful. YAY! I hope it is a quick end to your journey. :)

Very cool!!! I am only familiar with Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco. But I miss it dearly! Alberta is such a far cry from it ;)!

I wish I were in Ontario! If only because the trip to Montreal for the immigration and medical would be a lot easier on us that way! Where in AB are you from?

I wish I was in Alberta! I'm from Edmonton. I miss it dearly. Switch spots? lol. ;-) Are you in St. Albert?

YAY! Congrats :)

Edited by Buxi&Dusk

Another Albertan here.

I was born and raised in Calgary, but have since lived in Wainwright (AB), Chilliwack (BC), Edmonton (Griesbach base and Lancaster Park base) and now Lethbridge. I really don’t like Lethbridge. I thought that people were exaggerating about the wind when the ex and I were picking where to live after he left the military.

Sometimes I feel sad to be leaving AB. Especially when I see stuff like this:

But I can always come home to visit. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another Albertan here.

I was born and raised in Calgary, but have since lived in Wainwright (AB), Chilliwack (BC), Edmonton (Griesbach base and Lancaster Park base) and now Lethbridge. I really don’t like Lethbridge. I thought that people were exaggerating about the wind when the ex and I were picking where to live after he left the military.

What a lovely video of Alberta! My brother still lives there and I shared it with him. The huskies are beautiful and those lakes are just breath taking. I was just there last summer and already want to go back!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That video inspired me so I had to go hunting for the BC equivalent :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHcl8FFvDyY

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

That video inspired me so I had to go hunting for the BC equivalent :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHcl8FFvDyY

I will miss my home so much.

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

I miss home. Beautiful BC. Loved the video. Thanks for sharing.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another Albertan here.

Oh wow, what a beautiful video of Alberta! Aww, that makes me homesick. I need to visit home before I move. Thanks for posting that. I hope the tar sands don't go through. We'll lose a lot of that.

The video of Alberta has so many mountains in it. I guess when people think of Alberta they do think of Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. But I don't think of mountains when I think of Alberta. LOL I call it "The Land of Flat" and Sask is known as "The Land of Flatter." LOL

But I love how much horseback riding is in it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.