Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ping Ting

Marriage Based Citizenship, Passport of Spouse or Birth Certificate

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am appearing for Immigration interview after couple of days. I have a quick question. I am married to a US Born Citizen. Appearing on the basis of three years marriage. In addition to my passport or birth certificate, will USCIS officer also require birth certificate of my spouse or just passport is enough. I am not sure where my spouse kept the birth certificate but we do have passport showing USA place of birth.

I will welcome expert advise.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems crazy to me, we supplied all that information during our AOS, I had to prove that I was a US citizen, we both had to prove we were free to marry with our divorce papers, then show an original certificate of our marriage.

All that information is in the that 3" file the USCIS already had, but wanted it again for US citizenship for her. With delays in our I-751 processing, USCIS requested up to date information with proof we were living together, within three weeks of her interview, they also wanted that same proof again for her interview. Making her file now 4" thick.

Either a birth certificate or a US passport is proof of US citizenship for the sponsoring US citizen spouse, what the heck, as I was already wearing out my copying machine, submitted both. Its again our state law to make copies of marriage certificates so we had to buy originals, the USCIS has three of them, all identical.

You also have to bring in all these originals in with your at your interview, just make darn sure you walk out with all of these originals in your hand. Especially your green card, or you will have to buy another for your oath ceremony.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.