jons_wifey

B2 visa or 1I-130 for Parents

6 posts in this topic

here are some facts first

67 year old parents

dad is DISBALED and a diabetic and gets free UK healthcare with drugs and doctor visits etc...

mum is healthy.

B2 visa- yes i know it is a NON immigrant visa.

It gives them at least 6 months to stay here in the US with us - they hardly get to see their grand-daughter now aged 20 months.

I-130 - yes its better for them - but no healthcare options for them....

I think B2 may be a better option for them? $160 each. they are retired and own real estate back in London.

Will the B2 interviewer ask them question at the interview on how my dad will supply for this own drugs (cause normally he bring his drugs prescribed by his UK GP with him) on short visits here.

I-130 will cost me $840 ($420 each). so I have a few months to save up for that.

any advice would be appreciated.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

here are some facts first

67 year old parents

dad is DISBALED and a diabetic and gets free UK healthcare with drugs and doctor visits etc...

mum is healthy.

B2 visa- yes i know it is a NON immigrant visa.

It gives them at least 6 months to stay here in the US with us - they hardly get to see their grand-daughter now aged 20 months.

I-130 - yes its better for them - but no healthcare options for them....

I think B2 may be a better option for them? $160 each. they are retired and own real estate back in London.

Will the B2 interviewer ask them question at the interview on how my dad will supply for this own drugs (cause normally he bring his drugs prescribed by his UK GP with him) on short visits here.

I-130 will cost me $840 ($420 each). so I have a few months to save up for that.

any advice would be appreciated.

Jons, you speak of two different types of situation.

If your parents only want to come and visit once a year they can do so on VWP, for 90 days, if they carry British passports or with a B visa, if their country of citizenship is not afforded VWP.

The I-130 is a form to start their immigration process to the US, in which case the presumption is that they will move permanently to the US. If they are not entertaining such plans it will only be a waste of money, time and resources.

What are they trying to accomplish?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

wanting to spend more than 90 days on VWP to see their grand daughter

Have them apply for tourist visas which allows them to visit up to 180 days.

With the I-130, you would be petitioning for them to come and live permanently in the US. This could be incredibly difficult if the US Embassy determines that without private health insurance, your father is likely to become a public charge and is thus inadmissible to the US. After an immigration visa denial, he would not be able to use the VWP to visit the US or may have great difficulties getting a tourist visa. I recommend you not pursue this avenue when all your parents want are long visits.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

B2 is a way better option if you can do it. IR5 should only be done if its desired for them to live here longer than 6 months a year. I weighed these options too for similar reasons. In my case I did the IR5 but that's only because the B2 was denied (because they were afraid she would immigrate; so their desire to keep her from visiting is what caused her to immigrate, go figure).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.