Aussie Mummy

Moving with Pets

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Have been trying to look online to find information about moving to America from Australia with pets but can not find anything specific enough about what the process is. Can someone send me some indepth links or give me a run down of everything I need to know.

I have a 5 year old dog and a 4 year old cat, both are microchiped and fixed up and both are up-to-date with their vaccinations.

Thank you! :)

1st USA trip - Dec 2010
Baby Girl born - August 2011
2nd USA trip - May-June 2012
3rd USA trip - Oct-Dec 2012
Engaged - 18 December 2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Have been trying to look online to find information about moving to America from Australia with pets but can not find anything specific enough about what the process is. Can someone send me some indepth links or give me a run down of everything I need to know.

I have a 5 year old dog and a 4 year old cat, both are microchiped and fixed up and both are up-to-date with their vaccinations.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/travelingWithPets.jsp&locale=en_IN.

Most airlines won't transport animals on the Australia to US route. Qantas does, but only through Qantas freight. They were very helpful when I was considering it (I ended up leaving my dog in Australia). Best to call them and talk to them. They will know everything you need to know about getting animals into the US

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/travelling-with-pets/global/en#quarantine

If you send me a PM I can send you all the information I was sent, otherwise just call Qantas Freight and they will send it to you direct.

It is fairly easy to take pets to the US, but very hard to get them back into Australia, so consider it a one-way trip.

Another option is to use a pet transport agent. They will arrange everything, but you pay a price for it.

I'm in the same boat as you, moving over sometime around May-July and bringing my dog.

I'm going to have my dog shipped with DogTainers, it roughly works out to be $100 per kg of the pet, so for my 20kg dog I'm looking at a little over $2000 to get him there. That is all the way from Brisbane to Dallas, including all pre-vet work, vet check on the other end, the crate to ship in, and all documents and stuff completed and sorted. They handle everything, they can even do a pick up here and drop off at your door on the other end. I have a friend who works for them so I've been asking endless questions on the process to ensure the best way for my dog to go, and it definitely seems easier to let a pet shipping company handle it, you wouldn't want anything to go wrong on a trip like that for your pet... I know it's costly but for the peace of mind and less stress on myself, it seems worth it. Other companies have quoted $3000-3500 for my dog... but I found DogTainers to be the cheapest.

You'll also need to get them both a rabies shot before you leave, you could get it once you get there but then you have to 'quarantine' them in your house for 30 days which is difficult with a dog, so it's easier to get the rabies shot before leaving here..

Good luck!

Step-child of a USC

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I am having the same issue, though from a different country (and not in a while still). I'm trying to decide if it's worth the stress to take my cat over to California when I go. He means the world to me and I would probably have a much easier time with adjusting, but I don't want to put him in the cargo really... And I'm not sure I can find airlines who let him be in the cabin the whole way through.

Does anyone have experience bringing cats/dogs over to the US? How stressful was it for them? Or for you? I can't decide what to do with this :(

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same issue, though from a different country (and not in a while still). I'm trying to decide if it's worth the stress to take my cat over to California when I go. He means the world to me and I would probably have a much easier time with adjusting, but I don't want to put him in the cargo really... And I'm not sure I can find airlines who let him be in the cabin the whole way through.

Does anyone have experience bringing cats/dogs over to the US? How stressful was it for them? Or for you? I can't decide what to do with this :(

Start contacting all the airlines you can find that fly from where you are to the US. I've read some things on people flying from EU to US & being allowed pets in the cabin as long as they fit in the carrier under the seat etc. Maybe you'll have to drive or travel somehow to where ever will let you fly with him in cabin all the way to the US. It'd be worth it! I can't imagine going without my dog, I'd feel lost.

Step-child of a USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.