Gakkykiba

Help!! Girlfriend / Re-entry permit.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! First of all, I just want to say that this is a very helpful forum, I've been browsing around and people seems very nice. Kudos.

I am a green card holder since 2007 but been in and out the states since then. In 2004 I went to the US for the first time as a Tourist, then in 2007 I received my green card and went to NY with my mother. However, in my 6 months stay I decided that I wanted to go back and study here in the Philippines instead. So I applied for a re-entry permit so I can be away for up to 2 years (Until 2009). In 2009, I moved back to the states (stayed for 3 years), but this time in Nevada because my mom moved there. Studied a little more and was able to graduate in the College of Southern Nevada. Worked for more than a year in a bank, didn't like my field which is accounting and decided I wanted to try a different field and that's when I decided to come back 'again' to the Philippines to try and take up Nursing. I again, applied for another re-entry permit so I can stay away longer.

I left the US last February 2012 and my re-entry permit will expire sometime in January 2014. That's my brief timeline. Now, my questions:

Re-entry Questions:

1. Since I am studying, time is very crucial for me as I cannot afford to miss any classes, regular or summer. I plan to go back this December 2013 before my re-entry expires. My problem is how can I possibly sort and apply for another re-entry permit in 2 weeks time. Before they implemented biometrics I know it is possible but now that we have to wait for the Biometrics appointment before we leave the states, it's gonna take me at least 4 weeks to wait which I cannot do because my Christmas break will only last a couple weeks. Is there any other way to get a re-entry without the Biometrics? I know they re-entry permit cannot be extended so I definitely need to apply for a new one.

I also know that I have the option of just going back to the states without relying on re-entry which means I have to be back before a year, but then I heard from friends that the immigration changed the allowable stay out of the us for permanent resident is now just for 6 months or your green card expires if you do not have a re-entry. Gets me confused, is it really 1 year or 6 months? Shed some light please. Thank you. As much as possible I don't like to go this way since it costs way more time and money to go back and fort even every year. So I really wanna sort things out and find a way to get a new re-entry within the shortest time possible stay in the US.

Girlfriend Questions:

1. I have a girlfriend of almost 2 years, we went to the same grade school and have a lot of common friends thru high school and college. We now live in together in my place, we're going to be living in for a year already this coming February 2013. We, of course, plan of the future and I think it's best to sort this out this early than late. I want to bring her with me when I get back to the states permanently to work and live there which is after I graduate, probably 2014 or 2015 the latest. How can I do this the most convenient way?

2. I am also thinking if it is possible to run her papers while I am studying and staying here in the Philippines with her. In that case we won't have to be apart while waiting. Is it possible for me to file here in the Philippines or do I need to stay in the US before doing all this? I am hoping that we can, so we can both leave the same time after I graduate. I read that the wait is usually 2-3 years, which is the probably the same time it will me to graduate.

3. Should we marry? or just be engaged? Which would go smoothly and faster? also, if marrying is a chioce, is having a baby going to help the process?

Some other infos:

- We are both 24 years old.

- Both of our mother lives overseas. Mine lives in Nevada and she just recently got her USC. Her mother lives in Japan. (If this may help)

If you need anymore information to be able to give the right answers please just ask. Thank you so much VisaJournal. Have a good day everyone. :)

07-26-2015 Mailed out I-130 Application to Chicago Lockbox
07-29-2015 I-130 Delivered, signed by J. CHYBA (Priority Date)
08-01-2015 Case Accepted (E-Notification)
08-10-2015 NOA1 (I797C) Received

12-17-2015 NOA2 Approved via USCIS website.

12-23-2015 NOA2 Received by Mail

12-30-2015 NVC Received our case (confirmed via phone)

01-12-2016 Received Case Number via Email and IN via phone

07-23-2016 DS261

07-25-2016 WL & AOS Invoiced

07-27-2016 AOS "Paid"

07-29-2016 AOS&IV Package Sent

08-01-2016 AOS&IV Package Received (Scan Date)

08-01-2016 IV Invoice
08-02-2016 IV "Paid"

08-02-2016 DS260

09-08-2016 Case Complete

-------------- In-Transit NVC to Consulate

-------------- Consulate Received

-------------- Packet 3 Received

-------------- Packet 3 Sent

-------------- Packet 4 Received

-------------- Interview Date

-------------- Interview Result

-------------- Visa Received

-------------- POE

:jest::jest::jest:

Timeline

You have to renew the Re-entry Permit in the US. You'll just have to adjust your classes.

At this point, you can't do anything for your GF. You can't file a petition for her unless you marry her. It will take 2-3 YEARS before your wife can immigrate to the US.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=16aa3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=16aa3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Having a baby will not speed up the process.

Timeline

You have to renew the Re-entry Permit in the US. You'll just have to adjust your classes.

At this point, you can't do anything for your GF. You can't file a petition for her unless you marry her. It will take 2-3 YEARS before your wife can immigrate to the US.

Having a baby will not speed up the process.

Thanks for the quick response.

Re-entry:

How long does the US allow green card holders to be out of the states without re-entry permit? is it 1 year or 6 months?

Girlfriend:

Say, we marry this mid 2013, how long do we have to wait before we can file for a petition or can we do it instantly after marriage? If so, can I file a petition while im here in the Philippines? Thanks again

07-26-2015 Mailed out I-130 Application to Chicago Lockbox
07-29-2015 I-130 Delivered, signed by J. CHYBA (Priority Date)
08-01-2015 Case Accepted (E-Notification)
08-10-2015 NOA1 (I797C) Received

12-17-2015 NOA2 Approved via USCIS website.

12-23-2015 NOA2 Received by Mail

12-30-2015 NVC Received our case (confirmed via phone)

01-12-2016 Received Case Number via Email and IN via phone

07-23-2016 DS261

07-25-2016 WL & AOS Invoiced

07-27-2016 AOS "Paid"

07-29-2016 AOS&IV Package Sent

08-01-2016 AOS&IV Package Received (Scan Date)

08-01-2016 IV Invoice
08-02-2016 IV "Paid"

08-02-2016 DS260

09-08-2016 Case Complete

-------------- In-Transit NVC to Consulate

-------------- Consulate Received

-------------- Packet 3 Received

-------------- Packet 3 Sent

-------------- Packet 4 Received

-------------- Interview Date

-------------- Interview Result

-------------- Visa Received

-------------- POE

:jest::jest::jest:

Timeline

Thanks for the quick response.

Re-entry:

How long does the US allow green card holders to be out of the states without re-entry permit? is it 1 year or 6 months? http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3023/general-information/returning-resident.html

Girlfriend:

Say, we marry this mid 2013, how long do we have to wait before we can file for a petition or can we do it instantly after marriage? If so, can I file a petition while im here in the Philippines? I think you can file while you're still here in the Philippines. You can immediately file as long as you already have a Certified True Copy (from the Local Civil Registry) of your Marriage Certificate. You will have to send the forms, documents and cheque to the corresponding address in the US. Follow the instructions for i-130 here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=c67c7f9ded54d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.