DavidLovesPheap

NOA1 (woot!) Plus a few questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Just got NOA1 today! So excited things are moving along! My petition got sent to the California processing center

Anyway, just have a few questions.

1) Engagement ceremony pics. I included them in my packet, and now I'm worried that since they look pretty extravagant someone might possibly think we're married. From what I understand our ceremony was pretty typical of Cambodian culture. I attached the pic I sent, look and you can tell me what you think. Do I need to be worried about my petition or is it only the consulate I need to fear? What can I provide that might help our case that we've never been married (besides being basically legally impossible for me to have married her in Cambodia, the laws are way too strict these days)

2) Receptions. We are planning to have 2 receptions, one in Cambodia before we come the the US and get married, then one here after we get married. Is this dangerous also? We are planning in holding our Cambodian reception after the visa is in hand, so I don't think they will be anyone who really questions if we are married after the consulate interview, right?

3) Honeymoon. We've talked and we really want to go on a cruise. Are there going to be restrictions on cruises with her status?

Anyway, wish me luck and fast processing times!

post-149119-0-30653900-1357699757_thumb.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just got NOA1 today! So excited things are moving along! My petition got sent to the California processing center

1) Engagement ceremony pics. I included them in my packet, and now I'm worried that since they look pretty extravagant someone might possibly think we're married. From what I understand our ceremony was pretty typical of Cambodian culture. I attached the pic I sent, look and you can tell me what you think. Do I need to be worried about my petition or is it only the consulate I need to fear? What can I provide that might help our case that we've never been married (besides being basically legally impossible for me to have married her in Cambodia, the laws are way too strict these days)

2) Receptions. We are planning to have 2 receptions, one in Cambodia before we come the the US and get married, then one here after we get married. Is this dangerous also? We are planning in holding our Cambodian reception after the visa is in hand, so I don't think they will be anyone who really questions if we are married after the consulate interview, right?

If it follow local customs and you really don't get married and don't be silly and call each other husband and wife before the US marriage, then you're probably fine. Maybe?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would take such a chance a mucking everything up....but to each their own.

3) Honeymoon. We've talked and we really want to go on a cruise. Are there going to be restrictions on cruises with her status?

Yes, until she AOSs and recieve either her AP or GC, if she leaves the US, she won't be allowed back in and will have to return from wherever you are, back to her country.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Be very careful about ceremonies/receptions before you get married. It is a red flag for sure and is very risky. Strongly advise waiting until the visa is in hand to do anything!

But congrats on the NOA1 and welcome to the waiting room!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

1. As long as the documents say engagement and all you did was the ceremony, you should be ok.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hey congrats on your NOA1 we're in the same stats I got mine in Oct. 29, 2012 waiting on NOA2. Our timeline is probably the same. I did a I130 though. As far as the ceremony pics you're fine it seems to be the norm and traditions within their cultures. The receptions and honeymoon is up to you guys I don't see a problem with having 2 receptions. I'm uncleared about the cruise part are you planning on a cruise trip here in America after she gets the visa or over there? Good luck on your journey.

USCIS

Oct. 29, 2012 NOA 1
Feb. 01, 2013 NOA 2
NVC
Feb. 13, 2013 NVC received case
Mar. 15, 2013 Mailed AOS & IV packet
Mar. 27, 2013 NVC Case complete

Apr. 03, 2013 NVC case complete email

Aug. 26, 2013 Interview email noticed

Oct. 1, 2013 Interview date

Good Luck To Everyone Here @ VisaJourney
Never take my opinions and comments as factual representation because I'm not one of the VJ gurus

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Cool looking ceremony. You wrote on the pictures "Engagement ceremony," right??? I hope so. Hey, at least she's not in a white dress.

I don't think you need to do anything to prove you AREN'T married. You're not married, so just go in there assuming there's no reason anyone would think you are.

There's nothing dangerous about having a reception in Cambodia. The people at the embassy aren't going to be watching you from the bushes with bino's. The only way they know that sort of thing is if you step on your own toes and tell them.

As far as the Honeymoon, I'd avoid leaving the US with her for any reason until she has a green card in hand. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck! You and I got our NOA1 at about the same time.

2naTm4.png

P&Y's K1 Journey
04-25-2010 Met at a wedding in Tokyo
04-27-2010 First date
09-05-2010 P visits Y in Japan
12-29-2010 Y visits P in US
04-01-2011 P moves to Japan
04-01-2012 First apartment together
12-23-2012 P moves back to US
12-31-2012 K-1 Packet Sent, $340
01-03-2013 Arrival confirmation
01-09-2013 NOA1 (text/email)
01-14-2013 NOA1 Hardcopy

06-17-2013 RFE (Request for Passport Photos)

06-26-2013 Notification of my RFE reply arriving at USCIS
07-15-2013 NOA2
08-07-2013 Packet 3 received

08-09-2013 Packet 3 returned to Embassy
08-13-2013 TBC Medical

08-26-2013 Interview
09-07-2013 Visa Received
09-19-2013 US Entry
10-19-2013 Wedding

10-29-2013 AOS and AP package sent

12-20-2013 Biometrics

02-03-2014 AP approval received

03-17-2014 Letter received stating no interview necessary, but up to 6 more months waiting for decision

05-10-2014 Moved to Hawaii

06-18-2014 Call from USCIS confirming change of address, now mailing paperwork to Hawaii

08-18-2014 Received NOA confirming permanent residency

08-22-2014 Received Green-card in the mail!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Not sure about cruises. I OBVIOUSELY wouldnt go on an international cruise (unless i got an advance parole, which i'm very vague on how difficult it is, whats the burden of proof, etc) but the travel document guidelines for cruises that are purely domestic are fairly vague as well. They state you dont need a passport, but just any govt issued ID. But what if the traveler is not a citizen? These are probably questions i'll need to direct to an expert of some kind

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Congrats on your NOA1. With my experience, if u hold a green card you can go abroad but u need to check the country ur going if u need a visa. Remember u r not a us citizen so u need to check..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.