Dexter_Morgan

receipt for I-865?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

we moved some 6 months ago, I'm a conditional permanent resident and my spouse is my financial sponsor. I filed AR-11 online, and spouse mailed a paper I-865. Should we have received a receipt from USCIS for the I-865? We never did. We actually did not hear from them at all re our change of address. Should we be worried? Do they sometimes just not mail receipts for I-865?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

We got a receipt. I can't say how consistently they're sent, however. If you're greatly concerned, you might want to phone USCIS and speak with an actual immigration officer (not the front-line know-nothings), or even set an InfoPass appointment if it's not too inconvenient for you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

We got a receipt. I can't say how consistently they're sent, however. If you're greatly concerned, you might want to phone USCIS and speak with an actual immigration officer (not the front-line know-nothings), or even set an InfoPass appointment if it's not too inconvenient for you.

How would you get on the phone with actual immigration officer? All we ever got was the front line people who told us that they don't have access to our info, and if we would like to, we could schedule an info.pass appointment. The issue is that it is very difficult for us to do the info.pass, because there isn't a location that is close to where we live (the closest one is 4 hours drive away). We (and especially my husband, who is the sponsor) cannot travel that on a weak-day.

Since we did mail that sponsor change of address form, and I'm pretty sure we kept a copy of it somewhere and the mail return receipt (I can double check that), would it be safe to assume that we are covered, and if they did not update the sponsor's address, then it is not our fault and we will not be penalized? The easiest thing for us would be either do that, or mail the change of address form again.

Timeline

When the front-line know-nothings give you flak, ask that your call be escalated to Tier 2, or an actual immigration officer. When you receive resistance (and you will), insist that your call be escalated, because the front-liner must do so if you thus request. Be as stern as you must.

You should be covered if you mailed the form to the correct address (somewhere in Kentucky, it was for us, if I recall). Sadly, even though you've covered your end of things (in a manner that would suffice in any other aspect of life), there would be the chance of missing future immigration mailings if the people on the other end dropped the ball.

However, if you already have the conditional green card, and your next step is to apply for ROC, the ball is in YOUR court, meaning that the next meaningful contact with USCIS will be initiated by you when you apply for ROC. At that time, you'll list your current (new) address on the forms, and you can even throw a photocopy of the AR-11 & I-865 into the ROC package.

Fight through the phone call to USCIS if you're that concerned, but if your next step is to apply for ROC, I wouldn't worry.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

When the front-line know-nothings give you flak, ask that your call be escalated to Tier 2, or an actual immigration officer. When you receive resistance (and you will), insist that your call be escalated, because the front-liner must do so if you thus request. Be as stern as you must.

You should be covered if you mailed the form to the correct address (somewhere in Kentucky, it was for us, if I recall). Sadly, even though you've covered your end of things (in a manner that would suffice in any other aspect of life), there would be the chance of missing future immigration mailings if the people on the other end dropped the ball.

However, if you already have the conditional green card, and your next step is to apply for ROC, the ball is in YOUR court, meaning that the next meaningful contact with USCIS will be initiated by you when you apply for ROC. At that time, you'll list your current (new) address on the forms, and you can even throw a photocopy of the AR-11 & I-865 into the ROC package.

Fight through the phone call to USCIS if you're that concerned, but if your next step is to apply for ROC, I wouldn't worry.

Thank you! We will try that. Yes, I have the conditional green card, but I have a while until I apply for removal of conditions (I've had the green card for about 6 months now, so I guess the earliest we can apply for removal of conditions is in a year and 3 months). However, it's likely that we will move again in a couple of months, so we will probably have to update our address again.

Is it likely that immigration will mail us anything/ have mailed us anything in the meanwhile? We moved a couple of weeks after I got my conditional green card...

We also set mail forwarding with USPS when we moved, but I know they do not forward mail from immigration, for some reason...

Timeline
Is it likely that immigration will mail us anything/ have mailed us anything in the meanwhile?
Nope. All that you might get would be a courtesy letter that it's time to remove conditions on your green card. Not everyone gets those, however, and you can keep track of the timing by yourself.
they do not forward mail from immigration, for some reason.
Official Government mail like that isn't supposed to be forwarded. However, when you're a citizen, you'll find that jury-duty summonses are forwarded... aaarrrgh...

You're in good shape! If I were you, I wouldn't even waste the time trying to get through to USCIS. :)

Edited to add: Start reading the ROC forum now, if you haven't. And begin collecting evidence that your finances and lives have merged. A good technique (recommended by Kathryn, the chief VJ moderator) is this: Anytime something comes in that you can use, throw it into a box. By the time you're eligible to apply for ROC, you'll have a smorgasbord of evidence to choose from. It really works!

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all,

we moved some 6 months ago, I'm a conditional permanent resident and my spouse is my financial sponsor. I filed AR-11 online, and spouse mailed a paper I-865. Should we have received a receipt from USCIS for the I-865? We never did. We actually did not hear from them at all re our change of address. Should we be worried? Do they sometimes just not mail receipts for I-865?

Thanks!

I never got a receipt for I-865.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.