californiagurl28

Bona Fide Marriage Evidence (a little complicated)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm trying to get ready to petition my husband, and I'm having a little trouble with evidence. Don't get me wrong, I read all of the primary and secondary evidence you can give, but I feel like our case is a bit complicated.

For one, we met online and I'm not sure we have many logs of the conversations anymore. Secondly, I changed phones a long time ago, so no phone logs. So, we met in January of 2010. We became friends very fast and talked every single day. About 5 1/2 months later, I decided I wanted to be in a relationship with him even though we never met. I just felt a connection. I visited two times (first time for 2 weeks, second for 3 weeks) and I still have the plane ticket receipts. I moved here on May 19th, 2011.

So, here's where it gets even more complicated as far as proof goes: I was never put on the lease. But, I DID get an ID shortly after(and I still have the receipt) that is the exact same address on the lease his mom had (which he was included in). We moved into a new apartment a few months ago, and I was the cosigner for the lease for his mother. Since he can't get a job because he's out of status, they only wanted myself and her on the lease. However, I did have him initial the bottom of all pages with us. I also put him on my bank account, so now it's a joint one. So, my question is, what can I do? Would sending in the first lease along with my ID (again, they have the same address)and the receipt/plane ticket when I moved here be good? What about the second lease if I got a letter from the apartment manager saying we both live here? And, if these both are OK, should I write up a short letter explaining the first lease and a picture of my ID/receipt my proof for living together?

Also, I'm just very nervous. Is anyone kind of introverted and had issues with the marriage interview? I know it's far off as we didn't even file yet, but I feel like people will only consider our marriage valid if we are this outgoing couple. I mean, I'm a low wage earner (didn't go to college yet), and we have a budget and just enjoy being at home with each other. I also don't have a great relationship with my family, and he barely has a relationship with his, so we don't have many "family pictures". We have only have 20 or so pictures of us because we both hate being in pictures. I'm also kind of young (21) and he is 25. Finally, I feel like our story might not be "believable". We met online, but it was in a chat room on an Anime site. And given the fact that we started our relationship before we met in person, and I only visited for a total of 5 weeks, I can just see how someone might question it. But, we are both kind of loners and it took us both by surprise that we met someone that fit so well. I mean, he's my best friend, and I feel like sometimes he's the missing part of me. We even finish each others sentences! But, I'm just not sure how to properly convey this to the person interviewing us.

So, would this all count against us? Are there any tips for proving our marriage is out of love? I think the only thing we may have going for us is the fact that I moved here and waited a year of living together to marry, and by the time we have an interview, we will be married 1 year and have been together 3 years.

Any advice is very appreciated, even if you can't answer my questions or are/were in the same position.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

I can't answer all of these but I will try---my comments in red.

Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm trying to get ready to petition my husband, and I'm having a little trouble with evidence. Don't get me wrong, I read all of the primary and secondary evidence you can give, but I feel like our case is a bit complicated.

For one, we met online and I'm not sure we have many logs of the conversations anymore. Secondly, I changed phones a long time ago, so no phone logs. So, we met in January of 2010. We became friends very fast and talked every single day. About 5 1/2 months later, I decided I wanted to be in a relationship with him even though we never met. I just felt a connection. I visited two times (first time for 2 weeks, second for 3 weeks) and I still have the plane ticket receipts. I moved here on May 19th, 2011. Keep the plane ticket receipts and any other evidence you might have.

So, here's where it gets even more complicated as far as proof goes: I was never put on the lease. But, I DID get an ID shortly after(and I still have the receipt) that is the exact same address on the lease his mom had (which he was included in). We moved into a new apartment a few months ago, and I was the cosigner for the lease for his mother. Since he can't get a job because he's out of status, they only wanted myself and her on the lease. However, I did have him initial the bottom of all pages with us. I also put him on my bank account, so now it's a joint one. So, my question is, what can I do? Would sending in the first lease along with my ID (again, they have the same address)and the receipt/plane ticket when I moved here be good? What about the second lease if I got a letter from the apartment manager saying we both live here? And, if these both are OK, should I write up a short letter explaining the first lease and a picture of my ID/receipt my proof for living together? Out of status---someone else will need to weigh in on this

Also, I'm just very nervous. Is anyone kind of introverted and had issues with the marriage interview? I know it's far off as we didn't even file yet, but I feel like people will only consider our marriage valid if we are this outgoing couple. I mean, I'm a low wage earner (didn't go to college yet), and we have a budget and just enjoy being at home with each other. I also don't have a great relationship with my family, and he barely has a relationship with his, so we don't have many "family pictures". We have only have 20 or so pictures of us because we both hate being in pictures. I'm also kind of young (21) and he is 25. Finally, I feel like our story might not be "believable". We met online, but it was in a chat room on an Anime site. And given the fact that we started our relationship before we met in person, and I only visited for a total of 5 weeks, I can just see how someone might question it. But, we are both kind of loners and it took us both by surprise that we met someone that fit so well. I mean, he's my best friend, and I feel like sometimes he's the missing part of me. We even finish each others sentences! But, I'm just not sure how to properly convey this to the person interviewing us. You said you are a low wage earner, do you make 125% or more of the poverty level for a family of two? If not, you will need a co-sponsor. Your ages aren't that far apart. Lots of people meet online now days. 20 pictures in a good start. You have a long journey ahead of you, you can always take more pictures.

So, would this all count against us? Are there any tips for proving our marriage is out of love? I think the only thing we may have going for us is the fact that I moved here and waited a year of living together to marry, and by the time we have an interview, we will be married 1 year and have been together 3 years. I assume you are in the USA since you said he is out of status? I think that might be the main concern but I'm not the person to ask.

Any advice is very appreciated, even if you can't answer my questions or are/were in the same position.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Timeline

Thank you for replying! Yes, he is out of status, and I am the USC. His mother brought him here when he was 11 on a tourist visa and she never petitioned him. I already have a joint sponsor, and he is a good friend of my husband. He made $19,480 last year (he was still in college), and has had a job right after college for 7 months now. He makes $50,000 a year, so I'm sure this will not be an issue.

My main concern is with the evidence (mainly leases) and our story of how we met. I know a lot of people say expect that they automatically consider your marriage a fraud and the burden of proof is on us, so I just figured I'd get a feel for how people who don't know me consider all of this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just gather as much evidence as you can that you lived together, married and are living together as a married couple now. You do not need everything on the list of primary evidence, so just gather up anything and everything you personally have or can get. IDs showing same address on them, joint accounts of any kind(bank, insurance, health, etc.), joint utilities, your lease papers with an explanation and highlighting his initials on the papers, joint taxes, cards/letters addressed to you both, etc.

As for being worried about meeting online, you can get rid of that one. This is nothing new for the USCIS. MANY couples going through the immigration process met online. Good luck!

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Whoops. Can someone move this to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas? I just realized it said "Family Visa" here. My husband came here when he was little on a tourist visa...

Also, Jay Kay, thanks for answering! This makes me feel better about my situation. That's a good tip on highlighting his initials, thanks!

Edited by californiagurl28

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.