PuppyLove

Joint Bank Account for Foreign Husband

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Last week I went to my credit union to update them with my new married name and to ask them if they could add my husband to my account as a joint owner. I almost didn't ask because I was sure they couldn't do it until my husband came to the US on his visa. The teller told me that he didn't know about it and we started to wait for the manager to come over, but then a women came and helped us out (maybe an assistant manager). She never mentioned form W-8BEN and instead told me that they just need his passport number as something to report under, and his passport signature page so that they can compare his signature on the form to the one on the passport. She said these cases are approved on a manager basis and then gave me the regular form to fill out. I asked her if they will really accept this form being scanned abroad to my husband and him signing it then scanning it back to me and she said yes! So I took the form home (btw the line for SSN also said TIN or Passport number!) and scanned it to my husband to fill out. The next day the credit union approved his joint ownership and printed his debit card with his name and his own card number. I was beyond happy! Now I can't believe that I almost didn't ask them at all and gave up before I even tried!!!

USCIS I-130 Petition for Spouse

September 2012: Filed from abroad to Chicago Lockbox

4 days later: NOA1, Routed to California Service Center

7 days later: Transferred because of new jurisdiction

5 days later: Case Status changed to: Under processing at USCIS office

NOA2 arrived 78 days after NOA1 :)

*I-130 Approval Notice hardcopy finally received in Pakistan, the only notice that arrived.

Last week I went to my credit union to update them with my new married name and to ask them if they could add my husband to my account as a joint owner. I almost didn't ask because I was sure they couldn't do it until my husband came to the US on his visa. The teller told me that he didn't know about it and we started to wait for the manager to come over, but then a women came and helped us out (maybe an assistant manager). She never mentioned form W-8BEN and instead told me that they just need his passport number as something to report under, and his passport signature page so that they can compare his signature on the form to the one on the passport. She said these cases are approved on a manager basis and then gave me the regular form to fill out. I asked her if they will really accept this form being scanned abroad to my husband and him signing it then scanning it back to me and she said yes! So I took the form home (btw the line for SSN also said TIN or Passport number!) and scanned it to my husband to fill out. The next day the credit union approved his joint ownership and printed his debit card with his name and his own card number. I was beyond happy! Now I can't believe that I almost didn't ask them at all and gave up before I even tried!!!

My credit union flatly refused. I went to Wells Fargo instead and opened a new account with my husband (who was present and showed his passport, and we filled all the paperwork out in the office). The manager said the credit union didn't know what they were talking about. However, I am pretty sure you are required to fill out the BEN form if your account is interest-bearing; at least if I understand my USAA bank rep correctly (my USAA account is interest-bearing). We were only offered non-interest-bearing accounts at Wells Fargo, which is fine with us since we really just need the account to prove commingled finances and to give him a way to pay visa processing and other fees in the UK that are denominated in USD. I did not need to provide my married name (I am not using it yet for some boring paperwork reasons).

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Timeline

My credit union flatly refused. I went to Wells Fargo instead and opened a new account with my husband (who was present and showed his passport, and we filled all the paperwork out in the office). The manager said the credit union didn't know what they were talking about. However, I am pretty sure you are required to fill out the BEN form if your account is interest-bearing; at least if I understand my USAA bank rep correctly (my USAA account is interest-bearing). We were only offered non-interest-bearing accounts at Wells Fargo, which is fine with us since we really just need the account to prove commingled finances and to give him a way to pay visa processing and other fees in the UK that are denominated in USD. I did not need to provide my married name (I am not using it yet for some boring paperwork reasons).

They didn't mention anything to me about interest or form W-8BEN and I brought up that form because I thought it would be necessary. They told me no, they don't need that form at all. It seemed to me like the woman I was talking to had dealt with this situation before or was just knowledgeable about it because she didn't hesitate at all in describing their procedures to me. I guess it really does depend on which place you bank at, but it doesn't hurt to try asking about it :)

*I-130 Approval Notice hardcopy finally received in Pakistan, the only notice that arrived.

They didn't mention anything to me about interest or form W-8BEN and I brought up that form because I thought it would be necessary. They told me no, they don't need that form at all. It seemed to me like the woman I was talking to had dealt with this situation before or was just knowledgeable about it because she didn't hesitate at all in describing their procedures to me. I guess it really does depend on which place you bank at, but it doesn't hurt to try asking about it :)

That's true. Also, my husband was not on the Wells Fargo account as another primary accountholder; I am the primary accountholder and he is a secondary accountholder. This still counts as a joint account, I was careful to ask; he got his own online banking login and his own debit card.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Timeline

That's true. Also, my husband was not on the Wells Fargo account as another primary accountholder; I am the primary accountholder and he is a secondary accountholder. This still counts as a joint account, I was careful to ask; he got his own online banking login and his own debit card.

My husband might be a secondary accountholder too, how can you tell the difference? He has his own login to the account as well (but I was able to add a second user before making it a joint account anyway).

My husband might be a secondary accountholder too, how can you tell the difference? He has his own login to the account as well (but I was able to add a second user before making it a joint account anyway).

I can't see him when I log into my account online at all, so I can't check this myself; I'm not sure whether your credit union's online interface is different. Certainly my husband has all the rights to actually use the account that I do; he may be restricted from removing me from the account or from closing it. You can call your credit union and speak to a customer service rep, or go in and talk to any teller.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Timeline

I can't see him when I log into my account online at all, so I can't check this myself; I'm not sure whether your credit union's online interface is different. Certainly my husband has all the rights to actually use the account that I do; he may be restricted from removing me from the account or from closing it. You can call your credit union and speak to a customer service rep, or go in and talk to any teller.

I can see him as the joint owner on a different page; I'm not sure how else it is supposed to look for a joint account. I'm sure they probably kept me as a primary accountholder because it makes more sense for them since my husband is not in the US and they have never seen him in person.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are fortunate to have banks that are in Canada and the US so I just opened a new version of a US account through my Canadian account and just added DH and turned it into a joint account. I don't see his name online either but we can see each other's transactions using our Visa/Debit cards. I was sure to order checks for that account which showed both of our names on it. That is one of the items I included as evidence with our petition.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

We are fortunate to have banks that are in Canada and the US so I just opened a new version of a US account through my Canadian account and just added DH and turned it into a joint account. I don't see his name online either but we can see each other's transactions using our Visa/Debit cards. I was sure to order checks for that account which showed both of our names on it. That is one of the items I included as evidence with our petition.

Oh I didn't even think about checks. Did it show both your names together and then your address below? That would be really great evidence to mail in!

Good Job.

:)

Timeline

Yes, the check had both our names on it and then the address. I just wrote VOID on it and scanned it and kept the original since we are only sending copies in at this point. I felt it was useful evidence as most people wouldn't open a joint account with someone unless it was a legit relationship. Those are my thoughts anyway.

USCIS - 40 DAYS

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted

2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Yes, the check had both our names on it and then the address. I just wrote VOID on it and scanned it and kept the original since we are only sending copies in at this point. I felt it was useful evidence as most people wouldn't open a joint account with someone unless it was a legit relationship. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Wow great! Thanks for mentioning it! I am sure that it does really help as evidence. I'm going to do the same thing you did but send it in with our NVC package so the embassy should get it all before his interiew. Good luck to you and your husband!

Timeline

Wow great! Thanks for mentioning it! I am sure that it does really help as evidence. I'm going to do the same thing you did but send it in with our NVC package so the embassy should get it all before his interiew. Good luck to you and your husband!

I'm happy to help my fellow VJers any way I can :)

Good luck to you, too!

My biggest concern right now is my 4-year-old and 7-year-old boys behaving themselves at the consulate.

USCIS - 40 DAYS

NVC - 26 DAYS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Chase bank told me my hubby had to be there in person in the bank for them to add him to my account.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.