lierre

Should we expedite or not?

11 posts in this topic

Hello military folks on here! :) hope you all had a great holiday season!

We are about to send in our I-130 petition in a few days. We are currently in a US base here in Asia. My husband is scheduled to PCS back to the US in November 2013. Hence, that is also the month we would want me (non-citizen) to get an immigration visa.

That means we only have about 11 months to finish this entire process. Should we look into expediting the petition and everything else? How did you go about wi expediting?

Thanks in advance :)

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

the normal process takes only 10 months or less.. but it wont hurt you to apply for expedition .. my expedition is different from others..

Edited by .MythaG-

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

Won't you file directly at the consulate? (dcf) and that's faster anyways? Or is that different than in Germany?

DCF doesn't apply to all countries. To where we are, it doesn't

MythaG, why did yours get expedited?

I was thinking we will file our petition. Then when he gets his orders, we will call the military helpline and request to have the petition expedited. NVC will be a different "monster" to tackle

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I was thinking we will file our petition. Then when he gets his orders, we will call the military helpline and request to have the petition expedited. NVC will be a different "monster" to tackle

Oh ok I didn't know that. Good luck on a fast processing!

Oh ok I didn't know that. Good luck on a fast processing!

Thank you! I am so nervous about it. My husband's away a lot and I don't wanna get stuck with the process just because he isn't home to sign anything :(

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Thank you! I am so nervous about it. My husband's away a lot and I don't wanna get stuck with the process just because he isn't home to sign anything :(

You could have him sign certain things already so u have it once you need it. But I'm sure it won't take too long for you, you already live together and all so there should be no doubts about your relationship. My husband and I were together in Germany for over 3 years before he left for the states. Our petition approval only took 4 weeks, we have the feeling it had something to do with it.

You could have him sign certain things already so u have it once you need it. But I'm sure it won't take too long for you, you already live together and all so there should be no doubts about your relationship. My husband and I were together in Germany for over 3 years before he left for the states. Our petition approval only took 4 weeks, we have the feeling it had something to do with it.

Wow! That is great to know :)

Did you send a copy of your command sponsorship letter? I know it's illegal to photocopy our military id card so I don't wanna do that. Were there other things military-related that you sent? What did u put as address for when you move to the US? My husband still doesnt know which state he will be going to next.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I wish there were more military-specific answers on VJ :)

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Wow! That is great to know :)

Did you send a copy of your command sponsorship letter? I know it's illegal to photocopy our military id card so I don't wanna do that. Were there other things military-related that you sent? What did u put as address for when you move to the US? My husband still doesnt know which state he will be going to next.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I wish there were more military-specific answers on VJ :)

Well we really don't know why it went so fast for us, we can only guess and assume.

We weren't married yet when he left Germany we got married on my first visit in the us, the only military related thing we sent was the application for my military Id card. Besides that we had pictures, letters /emails, proof of a car insurance where he had my name on it too, proof we lived in the same household before, oh and we did have a POA too, two affidavits written by my mom and my best friend, can't think of anything else now.

My husband already rented a house when we started the visa so I could put that address on everything. Hmm I don't know what you should write there...maybe Add an additional page where you explain the situation !?

Well we really don't know why it went so fast for us, we can only guess and assume.

We weren't married yet when he left Germany we got married on my first visit in the us, the only military related thing we sent was the application for my military Id card. Besides that we had pictures, letters /emails, proof of a car insurance where he had my name on it too, proof we lived in the same household before, oh and we did have a POA too, two affidavits written by my mom and my best friend, can't think of anything else now.

My husband already rented a house when we started the visa so I could put that address on everything. Hmm I don't know what you should write there...maybe Add an additional page where you explain the situation !?

Thank you for the suggestions.

My husband already had his car, apartment way before we even met. The norm here in Japan I think is to only have property named after one person.

But at least he got me on his bank account and I have that sponsorship letter from his command. Thanks for giving your input :)

Audre Lorde

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

coz i am in the us army. i get my citizenship within 1.5 years only (staying in usa). after i graduated in college i joined the army and they ask me to dl the n400 and filled it up .. so from conditional green card, i jump to citizenship. i didnt do all the papers works. all i did was filled up the form, biometrics and interviewed (same day) and oath taking before bct graduation.

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.