littlecrazyangel

Dual Citizenship

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi!

I'm a little bit confused. Currently I'm Romanian citizen in process to obtaining the American citizenship. How do I renounce the Romanian citizenship?

After I will get the American Citizenship I wanna get the Hungarian citizenship. I would like to be dual citizen American-Hungarian. Or it would be better to get the Hungarian citizenship then the American and then renounce the Romanian citizenship? I'm not playing games but for some reason everything is complicated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi!

I'm a little bit confused. Currently I'm Romanian citizen in process to obtaining the American citizenship. How do I renounce the Romanian citizenship?

After I will get the American Citizenship I wanna get the Hungarian citizenship. I would like to be dual citizen American-Hungarian. Or it would be better to get the Hungarian citizenship then the American and then renounce the Romanian citizenship? I'm not playing games but for some reason everything is complicated.

200 different countries, 200 different agreements regarding each individual country done at consulate parties. Have to go to the DOS site, look up your country and learn the rules.

My wife would like to severe all relations with her home country, but due to agreements between our state department and Colombia, she cannot. She is required to maintain her Colombian passport if she wants to visit her family, and to do that, must maintain citizenship in Colombia. DOS loves to call it dual naturalization, but for all practical purposes, it is dual citizenship. Hypocrites in my opinion.

She took her oath very seriously with the USCIS, but no longer dealing with the USCIS, but now with the DOS, an entirely different governmental agency! Is it complicated or hypocritical? I feel its the latter.

One thing it is, is expensive, with only three such of her home country consulates in the entire USA, and have to show up in person to maintain that passport. You are NOT a US citizen just like if you were born here. If I hear one lie from a person or an organization, to me, its all lies.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is what it is, lucky you can have both from your country, my wife cannot.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I was from a country where dual citizenship seen it as an evil doing or still at war situation. People from a country allows a dual citizenship is very lucky so that way they can have the freedom doing both countries benefits, not to lose their heritage without any guilt yet identifying themselves as (your birth country) -American citizen. But rules are rules. if there is no such negotiation between the two countries your previous country and America. I'd be it to be an american. Indeed, it is what it is. I am more patriotic than anyother citizen maybe solely cos of that reason that my birth county wouldn't give people the freedom to keep their own countries. I pledge allegiance to the American flag. And that's it. It's your choice. If they can't accept the way you are you have to choose one or the other.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.