VikingMamma

I-864 Questions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iceland
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Hope your journeys are going as smoothly as possible and that you are having a good holiday season :)

I am putting together our I-864 package and am slightly confused about what the best way to go about filing is. In the middle of all this visa application process my husband and I moved to Denmark so we could be together. We sent out our original petition to the USCIS in June 2012 and I went to visit him in Iceland in July 2012. At the end of August 2012 we chose to move to Denmark for the length of one volleyball season so he could work and we could be together. Now we are 100% that we want to go to the US and have started getting everything back together as quickly as we can in hopes of him being allowed to enter the US prior to June 3, 2013, when I begin summer school at a University back home.

Now for the question, because we technically have residence permits here in Denmark do I need to list that as our country of Domicile and also our residence?

I know that sounds like a dumb question, considering it is technically our residence. I just don't want them to think we've moved and established a residence somewhere else and intend to stay.

I have a copy of my university application that I have submitted and I'm wondering if I should attached that as proof that we fully intend to return to the US once his visa is granted?

Also, for the income part of the I-864, I'm not 100% on how I should go about filling it out. We plan on living with my dad for at least the initial move back home ( 1st 6 months to 1year, but perhaps longer) and am wondering if I should list him as a joint sponsor or a household member as technically he could be either/or. I could also claim my mother as a join sponsor instead of my father, but I don't know if one way is easier than the other. My parents divorced in 2010 but filed jointly up through 2009 (under married but separate). Will that complicate things at all? Also, I'm wondering if my tax returns will confuse them as I lived with my mother the three previous years while I was in university. She claimed me as a dependent up until last year when I had my own daughter and claimed HoH filing status in order to avoid the massive paperwork process in filing for a W-7 for hubs and filing jointly.

So, to sum it up (sorry, I'm terrible at being concise!), should I list my father a joint sponsor or a household member as we intend to live with him when we return to the US? And finally, should I include any notes that I was studying during the years that I lived with my mom?

Ugh, I feel like I am over thinking this, but I want it to be plainly understood the first time around. We never had any RFE's with the I-130, and I'm hoping to have the same luck this time!

Thanks in advance for your help and Happy New Year to you all :)

Alissa (USC) married to Orri (Iceland)
Married 12-30-2011
Currently waiting in Iceland for visa approval
06/13/2012: I-130 filed
06/15/2012: USPS Confirms Delivery
06/20/2012: G1145 Email Received
06/18/2012: NOA1 Date
08/21/2012: NOA2 - Approved
09/14/2012: AOS Invoice Date
10/05/2012: AOS Marked as PAID
10/17/2012: IV Invoice Date
02/12/2013: IV Bill marked as PAID
02/13/2013: AOS Package Sent

02/28/2013: AOS Package Accepted
02/13/2013: IV Package Sent
03/06/2013: IV Package Accepted
03/06/2013: Case Completed

03/14/2013: Consulate Received Case
03/07/2013: Interview Scheduled
03/08/2013: Medical Examination
04/10/2013: Interview, Reykjavík Embassy - APPROVED!
04/13/2013: Visa Received

04/27/2013 - Immigrant Visa Fee paid
05/02/2013: POE- Denver
XX/XX/2013: Welcome Letter Received
XX/XX/2013: Green Card Received
Petition Approval Time: 68 Days
Time between USCIS and NVC: 25 Days
Total Start-to-Finish Time: 322 days

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Hope your journeys are going as smoothly as possible and that you are having a good holiday season :)

I am putting together our I-864 package and am slightly confused about what the best way to go about filing is. In the middle of all this visa application process my husband and I moved to Denmark so we could be together. We sent out our original petition to the USCIS in June 2012 and I went to visit him in Iceland in July 2012. At the end of August 2012 we chose to move to Denmark for the length of one volleyball season so he could work and we could be together. Now we are 100% that we want to go to the US and have started getting everything back together as quickly as we can in hopes of him being allowed to enter the US prior to June 3, 2013, when I begin summer school at a University back home.

Now for the question, because we technically have residence permits here in Denmark do I need to list that as our country of Domicile and also our residence?

I know that sounds like a dumb question, considering it is technically our residence. I just don't want them to think we've moved and established a residence somewhere else and intend to stay.

I have a copy of my university application that I have submitted and I'm wondering if I should attached that as proof that we fully intend to return to the US once his visa is granted?

Also, for the income part of the I-864, I'm not 100% on how I should go about filling it out. We plan on living with my dad for at least the initial move back home ( 1st 6 months to 1year, but perhaps longer) and am wondering if I should list him as a joint sponsor or a household member as technically he could be either/or. I could also claim my mother as a join sponsor instead of my father, but I don't know if one way is easier than the other. My parents divorced in 2010 but filed jointly up through 2009 (under married but separate). Will that complicate things at all? Also, I'm wondering if my tax returns will confuse them as I lived with my mother the three previous years while I was in university. She claimed me as a dependent up until last year when I had my own daughter and claimed HoH filing status in order to avoid the massive paperwork process in filing for a W-7 for hubs and filing jointly.

So, to sum it up (sorry, I'm terrible at being concise!), should I list my father a joint sponsor or a household member as we intend to live with him when we return to the US? And finally, should I include any notes that I was studying during the years that I lived with my mom?

Ugh, I feel like I am over thinking this, but I want it to be plainly understood the first time around. We never had any RFE's with the I-130, and I'm hoping to have the same luck this time!

Thanks in advance for your help and Happy New Year to you all :)

You live where you live. To which Consulate is your case now assigned?

Use (not claim) either your father or mother as a joint sponsor but neither as a household member. I-864a for household member is used only when the joint sponsor needs to combine income to qualify.

Your University application and acceptance can be shown at interview to deal with the issue of intent to re-establish US domicile.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.