cappucino boy

Moving to Poland or Europe

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

just a question if any USC's were thinking about moving from the U.S. to Poland or someplace in Europe with your spouse. If so and not Poland where were you thinking of moving. I'm thinking that I'd (with her of course) of moving to Poland for the summer months (her mom has a big house in Sandomierz, Poland) and perhaps buying someplace in Europe for the winter and switch places. My Polish isn't so good and I'm trying to learn it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS to Europe forum as not AOS process related *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

just a question if any USC's were thinking about moving from the U.S. to Poland or someplace in Europe with your spouse. If so and not Poland where were you thinking of moving. I'm thinking that I'd (with her of course) of moving to Poland for the summer months (her mom has a big house in Sandomierz, Poland) and perhaps buying someplace in Europe for the winter and switch places. My Polish isn't so good and I'm trying to learn it.

We discussed that I moved to Europe (I'm the USC), either Poland or elsewhere, France, Spain and UK were in consideration as I would have a much easier way to settle there. After discussion, it seemed best that she moved to the US. At the time, a couple of years back, the financial and job situation in Europe was not as good and 'starting over' didn't seem a good idea. I had even investigated going to work in Poland with a US company (IT consulting); but for our case, the numbers just didn't work.

Now, her home in Warsaw was/is a small flat which she thought would not be the best for me; I had lived in Europe before myself, in a small flat (Sweden), so I was not really worried about living space; additionally I have lived in several countries, some less developed and was not worried at all.

Learning Polish was also a consideration, note that I speak Swedish, French, Spanish and German and even with that, it just didn't look like such a good idea.

If you have never lived in Europe (or outside the US) for a length of time, I'd say that you need to give it a try for at least couple of months before settling. You would be surprised how the little things you are used to in the US become a major annoyance.

Most importantly, newly married is already a stress, I mean, adapting to each other to add the stress of a new country, job, finances, etc. I was raised with a European family and even with that, we thought it would be best to settle in the US at least for the first 2-3 years, afterwards, we will discuss again moving to Europe or Latin America.

Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Gosiz & Tito,

Thanks for the great advice I appreciate it. Your right when you said that I should try it out first. I currently have 30 years of service with a governmental agency and intend to stay at least 5 years more to bolster my retirement funds to approximately 80% of my present salary. I will just leave the service and not take retirement till I am 65 which means the amount I will receive will be more than if I retire out right. I'm planning to work (somehow) during the five years till I am 65. I'd like to think during this time we could stay in Poland 6 months to a year and see how it goes. What do you think, I've be trying to learn Polish but you already know how hard that is to do. Also she would have to get her citizenship before we leave so if we decide to come back we can.

One of my main reasons for moving to Europe is that is so different, different cultures, people food and everything else in a short distance. I also figure I can spend a long time traveling and discovering Europe better over there as opposed to staying here and going over to visit. Flight travel isn't going to get any cheaper in time so that is another consideration. i also I could always come back too. Well there you have it don't know if it will work but I'd like to give it a try.

We discussed that I moved to Europe (I'm the USC), either Poland or elsewhere, France, Spain and UK were in consideration as I would have a much easier way to settle there. After discussion, it seemed best that she moved to the US. At the time, a couple of years back, the financial and job situation in Europe was not as good and 'starting over' didn't seem a good idea. I had even investigated going to work in Poland with a US company (IT consulting); but for our case, the numbers just didn't work.

Now, her home in Warsaw was/is a small flat which she thought would not be the best for me; I had lived in Europe before myself, in a small flat (Sweden), so I was not really worried about living space; additionally I have lived in several countries, some less developed and was not worried at all.

Learning Polish was also a consideration, note that I speak Swedish, French, Spanish and German and even with that, it just didn't look like such a good idea.

If you have never lived in Europe (or outside the US) for a length of time, I'd say that you need to give it a try for at least couple of months before settling. You would be surprised how the little things you are used to in the US become a major annoyance.

Most importantly, newly married is already a stress, I mean, adapting to each other to add the stress of a new country, job, finances, etc. I was raised with a European family and even with that, we thought it would be best to settle in the US at least for the first 2-3 years, afterwards, we will discuss again moving to Europe or Latin America.

Good luck

Gosiz & Tito,

Thanks for the great advice I appreciate it. Your right when you said that I should try it out first. I currently have 30 years of service with a governmental agency and intend to stay at least 5 years more to bolster my retirement funds to approximately 80% of my present salary. I will just leave the service and not take retirement till I am 65 which means the amount I will receive will be more than if I retire out right. I'm planning to work (somehow) during the five years till I am 65. I'd like to think during this time we could stay in Poland 6 months to a year and see how it goes. What do you think, I've be trying to learn Polish but you already know how hard that is to do. Also she would have to get her citizenship before we leave so if we decide to come back we can.

One of my main reasons for moving to Europe is that is so different, different cultures, people food and everything else in a short distance. I also figure I can spend a long time traveling and discovering Europe better over there as opposed to staying here and going over to visit. Flight travel isn't going to get any cheaper in time so that is another consideration. i also I could always come back too. Well there you have it don't know if it will work but I'd like to give it a try.

Sounds like a plan. Your situation is much different and better -being closer to retirement that we are-. One thing to consider is how to get medical health care while in Poland/Europe and you will find is quite different than here. The 6 months in Poland will get you a good idea of how life is there, but not necessarily in other countries in Europe. One type of work that is relative easy is to teach English, both privately or with an institute. That should bring in some $ and provide a lot of flexibility.

Yes, is best your spouse becomes citizen first, so it's easy to return; we are in the exact same plan, except that we would move to South America -already decided country and city!!-

Your thoughts on traveling are sound, just keep in mind that current Poland salary standards are low compared to other countries in Europe. Having a place to stay does help quite a bit though. Once you hit places like Paris or Prague you will first get a $-shock, but keep in mind that it is possible to travel around Europe on a budget, especially with the low cost airlines (that unfortunately don't hit Poland as much) and with train fares on sale (I recall a Munich-Paris on a night train for 10 euros, and a Paris-Krakow easyJet fare of 20 euros!!)

Finally, you want to investigate and decide how to best get your retirement $ to Europe at the lowest cost and least hassle. As for the other country in Europe to live, you also want to investigate rules about living there. Generally, since your spouse is a EU citizen, it opens the door for several countries, but is still a process to obtain the residency card. In some countries is automatic just for asking, others require a process that could be annoying at times. I'd suggest to also investigate North Africa (Morocco for example, that is quite stable and low cost; I love Fez by the way and if we were to move to Europe, I'd spend the Winters there -the Winter in Poland is quite cold to say the least)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.