jeffinjapan

Questions from Japan

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello,

I've been perusing the forums for a few weeks now, but this is my first post.

I have a few questions and I hope somebody can clear them up!

First, about myself...

I am an American male and I've been living in Japan for just over 10 years now. I've been married to a Japanese national for 9 years. We have no children.

We were planning on staying in Japan indefinitely since I have permanent residency here, a great job that I love and own a condo here.

In March, my father in America was killed in a traffic accident. My mom hasn't been well, so my wife and I decided that we might try living in America for a while.

I've been filling out the I-130 and G-325A forms...

My questions:

1) It looks like I have to send the forms to a lockbox in Chicago. I believe that in a very recent change, they are no longer accepted here in Japan. It requires a money order for payment, so I was thinking about sending the packet to my mom and she could get the money order and send everything to Chicago. Is it a problem if the package is postmarked from America even though I'm in Japan?

2) Japanese documents must be translated, but can I just do it myself? I've lived in Japan for a long time and I'm very proficient at translating... I've even done freelance translation from time to time... Of course, I'll write the proper certification note, but will the RFE me if I do the translations myself? I'm really worried about this one...

3) Whenever I write my address in English, I always include romanized words for prefecture, city and divisions in my address. For example, I live in Shiga Prefecture, but I would normally write Shiga-ken. Is that ok? Should I just write Shiga? It looks really weird (incorrect?) when I write my address without these words. Any advice from those with Japanese spouses would be really helpful...

Well, that's all for today! Thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I've been perusing the forums for a few weeks now, but this is my first post.

I have a few questions and I hope somebody can clear them up!

First, about myself...

I am an American male and I've been living in Japan for just over 10 years now. I've been married to a Japanese national for 9 years. We have no children.

We were planning on staying in Japan indefinitely since I have permanent residency here, a great job that I love and own a condo here.

In March, my father in America was killed in a traffic accident. My mom hasn't been well, so my wife and I decided that we might try living in America for a while.

I've been filling out the I-130 and G-325A forms...

My questions:

1) It looks like I have to send the forms to a lockbox in Chicago. I believe that in a very recent change, they are no longer accepted here in Japan. It requires a money order for payment, so I was thinking about sending the packet to my mom and she could get the money order and send everything to Chicago. Is it a problem if the package is postmarked from America even though I'm in Japan?

2) Japanese documents must be translated, but can I just do it myself? I've lived in Japan for a long time and I'm very proficient at translating... I've even done freelance translation from time to time... Of course, I'll write the proper certification note, but will the RFE me if I do the translations myself? I'm really worried about this one...

3) Whenever I write my address in English, I always include romanized words for prefecture, city and divisions in my address. For example, I live in Shiga Prefecture, but I would normally write Shiga-ken. Is that ok? Should I just write Shiga? It looks really weird (incorrect?) when I write my address without these words. Any advice from those with Japanese spouses would be really helpful...

Well, that's all for today! Thanks in advance!

No problem with 1 or 2. I often recommend translating yourself but then having a bilingual friend actually certify the translation. Certifying them yourself is OK though.

When asked to write the full address on a single line, use "Shiga-ken" but when filling in a blank for city, it might be more appropriate to enter just "Shiga". This is really not critical. "City" is part of the name of New York City but not part of the name of Seattle, for instance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1) It looks like I have to send the forms to a lockbox in Chicago. I believe that in a very recent change, they are no longer accepted here in Japan.

Yes, unfortunately. It's too bad because when Tokyo processed I-130s it was essentially instantaneous, especially in a case like yours.

It requires a money order for payment, so I was thinking about sending the packet to my mom and she could get the money order and send everything to Chicago. Is it a problem if the package is postmarked from America even though I'm in Japan?

Not at all.

Not a problem at all. That's what I did. The embassy even provides translation templates for those not-so-proficient.

I have always written it out in the Japanese way (in romaji, of course) without problems. This applies to immigration, taxes, you name it.

Timeline

Thank you so much!!!

Almost ready to send!

One final question, though...

I see on lots of posts that you need 4 copies of the G-325a, but the current instructions only seem to require one copy. Can anybody confirm that one copy is fine?

You need zero copies of the G325a but you need one original signed G325a from each of you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello all!

I need some help!

I sent my I-130 package to my mom in the states and she got the money order for me and sent the package off to Chicago.

I got a confirmation email, but the postcard was sent to my mom's house in America!

Does that mean they think I'm living in America??? I've been in Japan for ten years!!!

Do I need to make a correction or something? If so, I'm not really sure where to start. Any advise?

Timeline

Hello all!

I need some help!

I sent my I-130 package to my mom in the states and she got the money order for me and sent the package off to Chicago.

I got a confirmation email, but the postcard was sent to my mom's house in America!

Does that mean they think I'm living in America??? I've been in Japan for ten years!!!

Do I need to make a correction or something? If so, I'm not really sure where to start. Any advise?

This is not going to matter for your petition adjudication but what address did you indicate you lived on the left side of your I-130, Japan or USA? It's actually good the mail is going to the US address.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.