shin shin

how soon is the divorve hearing?

19 posts in this topic

It is my understanding you won't get any help from JAG other than your spouse's compliance with military regulations regarding him supporting you by providing his BAH while you are married but separated. JAG is an attorney for the military and does not deal with civil family matters.

You should contact the legal aid office in your area and request a pro-bono attorney. It is doubtful you will receive any spousal support from him, but it never hurts to ask. As an LPR most social programs bar you from receiving assistance for the first five years but again, it never hurts to ask.

Any military benefits you are entitled to as his dependent will end when the divorce is final, this means his requirement to provide you with the BAH, your free medical and dental, commissary, etc. so make use of them while you can.

Seeing as you have no driver's license or job you should keep in mind that returning home is an option.

I'm working on getting driver's license now and also got some employer interested to hire me...Going home is always my option but at least I wanna try to get back my life first...

My husband told me before that dental is not covered by our insurance because he has to extra is that right???

Filed: Timeline

^Yes as a LPR most state welfare programs bar you from receiving assistance for the first 5 years, HOWEVER in cases where the LPR can prove abuse, its a different story. If the OP (or anyone in a similar situation reading this) does have a valid claim of abuse they should go down and apply for assistance if they truly are in need of it. There are programs specifically designed to help (it will vary by state) and they dont have the citizenship requirements.

As for him voluntarily agreeing to spousal support- I agree, hes most likely not going to. But that doesnt mean the OP still should not push for it.

As for the medical- since it is not possible to keep the OP on the medical ins after the divorce, the OP should demand in her settlement that the husband provide her with prvt insurance at his expense for a period of X amount of time.

^Yes as a LPR most state welfare programs bar you from receiving assistance for the first 5 years, HOWEVER in cases where the LPR can prove abuse, its a different story. If the OP (or anyone in a similar situation reading this) does have a valid claim of abuse they should go down and apply for assistance if they truly are in need of it. There are programs specifically designed to help (it will vary by state) and they dont have the citizenship requirements.

As for him voluntarily agreeing to spousal support- I agree, hes most likely not going to. But that doesnt mean the OP still should not push for it.

As for the medical- since it is not possible to keep the OP on the medical ins after the divorce, the OP should demand in her settlement that the husband provide her with prvt insurance at his expense for a period of X amount of time.

I will consult legal aid this Monday and maybe Women Shelter can help me too

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.