ethomps

Biggest Mistake of My Life?

48 posts in this topic

The guy on the phone reassured me that I wasn't flagged for misrepresentation, and that it shouldn't affect my future application for a CR-1/IR-1 visa.

PHEW! Talk about the best news I've heard all week :P. My fiance did talk to an immigration attorney today, and he gave us a bit of a scare when he said that if my process goes well, I'd need to interview in Montreal (Canada). Which in his experience, is regarded one of the strictest consulate's in the world. Salesman talk? :S

This lawyer is looking for a sucker to take for a loooong ride. Countries in the VWP tend to have it very easy. If you want strict/hard consulates check out the experiences/journeys of people from the Middle East and North Africa & from the Sub Sahara of Africa.

Anyway, since you found out you haven't been flagged, your case seems pretty clear cut/average. Just read the guides, follow it and you're good.

This lawyer is looking for a sucker to take for a loooong ride. Countries in the VWP tend to have it very easy. If you want strict/hard consulates check out the experiences/journeys of people from the Middle East and North Africa & from the Sub Sahara of Africa.

Anyway, since you found out you haven't been flagged, your case seems pretty clear cut/average. Just read the guides, follow it and you're good.

Just to clarify, Canada is not VWP but VWP countries do have it a lot easier than MENA countries.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Good news is that I called the office of where they pulled me over last week. The guy on the phone reassured me that I wasn't flagged for misrepresentation, and that it shouldn't affect my future application for a CR-1/IR-1 visa.

PHEW! Talk about the best news I've heard all week :P. My fiance did talk to an immigration attorney today, and he gave us a bit of a scare when he said that if my process goes well, I'd need to interview in Montreal (Canada). Which in his experience, is regarded one of the strictest consulate's in the world. Salesman talk? :S

That is good news. As for you lawyer, I would suggest finding another one if you decide to go the attorney route. Your lawyer is misinformed and will probably charge you for every little thing. As people on this thread have suggested, just do the research on VJ and you may be able to do the whole K1 process yourself. When I first started researching the whole K1 procedure, I was overwhelmed and thought that I might need an attorney but then took a deep breath, relaxed and just followed most of the instructions in the K1 guideline, used the K1 forum specific to Canada and used some of the example forms when I was filling out the paperwork (yes I the CDN citizen did this as I am very type A and my hubby US citizen claims to be a lazy man and is a little more laid back...). I had no problem at the consulate in Montreal when I went for my interview. The whole interview process was maybe 10 minutes long for me but then again we were together for 4.5 years and I had alot of evidence of proof of relationship.

Remember, VJ does not provide legal immigration advice but is more of an informal information immigration website.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.