10 posts in this topic

I would like to share my friends story here. On Nov 12th, she had her interview at Dhaka, everything went fine. They gave her a token slip to come back next day at 2 PM. When she did they gave her the blue paper, under 221(g) it says 'additional processing'. They kept her passport and phone number and said we will contact you. What should she do?

She should wait until the embassy contacts her.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I forgot to mention that she is married of a US citizen. Also, everyone else around her that appeared on the same day got the visa next day.

Can anyone think of a good reason why they will ask her to pick up visa next day and then next day they will give her 'additional processing'? There is no outstanding document or anything like that.

There are few things come to my mind:

a) They need to do additional security check on her husband. But why would be come up on a later time?

b) They need to verify financial support of her husband or the co-sponsor. But again, why do that come up later?

c) They need to validate the marriage. But what could make them to do so after they found everything is ok?

Someone told me that if they kept the passport, they will get back within 2 weeks tops. Is that right? Also, someone else told me that a senior office (supervisor) gives the final approval and that's the person who put a hold on it. Is that true?

This not something that never happened. One should be ready for anything. The length of AP can be from few weeks to few months (even 6+) depending on the complexity and search type but this certainly does not mean a rejection. If the candidate has nothing to worry about and is not a criminal of any sort, hold tight as this is going to be a waiting game. Keep the fingers crossed and after few months the petitioner can start reaching out to local congressman, senator for an answer (if it is delayed that long) for some info on the status. There is no reason to give up hope and get killed with the stress. An applicant should be aware of this sort of bumps........ Be prepared for the worst.....

To make it easy to understand, if two identical twin who are born us citizen marries (with identical life style, status, income) another indentical twin the same day, applies for the IR1/CR1 the same day filling each document together, there is no guarantee on their application approval process and one may get approved long before the other one. Tell them to hold on tight and let them wait for some sort of feedback from embassy within the next few months...........

Filed: Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi Im Ashraf an US Citizen and im on the same boat.My wife ,9 months old daughter and my parents appear on interview September 17th ,2012.My parents get visa next day but they keep my wife and daughter passport and also told them the embassy will call them when there visa is ready.Since then its almost 2 months now no response.i keep calling Department of state they say its still under addministrative processing.i dont know how long i have to wait.i remember for one of my friend it take 4 month to recieve visa.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

221G : A simple BLUE form asking for Extra Supporting Documents required by them to take a decision on your Visa Issuance. A case Number is Marked on this Form for your further communication. If they ask for additional documents then just submit them according to instructions given. If no further info is required then your case is in AP, which has no particular time frame, usually it takes 60-90 days, but some complicated cases may take longer.

I married a US citizen 4 years ago, after interview my case went in same process, it took 6 months to finish AP.

Edited by Mr. Deol

By the way guys, I went to US Embassy Website, Dhaka and found a page for Additional/Administrative Processing people.

It is located under:

Visas > Non-Immigrant Visas > Case Status Check

I landed there by simply Google searching "us embassy dhaka additional processing"

There is a link to a PDF on this page (the PDF is updated daily) that shows status of each AP (Additional/Administrative Processing) status. Here is my problem, it is by PIN ID and PIN ID is supposed to be located in the bottom right hand corner of your additional administrative processing letter. Guess What? My friend's blue paper (Form OF-194 10-2007) does not have any PIN ID.

Her case number is hand written on the form but I don't see any PIN ID.

Did everyone else has a PIN ID located in the bottom right hand corner of your additional administrative processing letter? If you do, please confirm here and also check the PDF file on the website, some of them are ready for VISA pick up.

Still_hopeful --> difference is non immigrant and immigrant visa. One check the status of non immigrant visa (e.g. B1/B2) status in there. AP for immigrant visa is not going to appear on that PDF file and is quiet different

She has no immigration history. This is the first time she appeared for US visa. She has only been to Thailand once for a week, otherwise the passport is blank. Does that make any difference?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.