Found Frolicking

CR-1 Application Process Length?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been in Canada for just short of 4 years now (still in Canada at present). My husband and I have been married for 3 years as of September. We have a son who was born in August. I assume the CR-1 would be the only way for my husband to immigrate to the U.S. through me? How long does this take? I have been hearing that the couple has to be separated for a portion of the immigration process. Is this true? Are there ever exceptions? Being that we have a son, I can't imagine the two of us being separated for even a couple months. My son might even know who he is when he sees him again in such a case! Would love to hear about the kinds of processing times and if there are any options I am unaware of... Thanks.

Our History - 5 years of marriage, known each other for 8 years (and counting!)
06/15/2006 - Met my husband online
05/06/2007 - Met in person for the first time in San Francisco, CA
11/04/2007 - Met in person again for two weeks in San Francisco, CA
12/15/2007 - Decide to be friends, due to distance
06/01/2009 - Entered Canada with my husband, intending to return to the US (started living together)
06/09/2009 - My husband and I fall in love
09/20/2009 - Married in Calgary, AB, Canada
06/09/2010 - 1st Anniversary
06/09/2011 - 2nd Anniversary
12/18/2011 - Expecting our first child
06/09/2012 - 3rd Anniversary
08/31/2012 - Our son is born in St. Albert, AB, Canada

06/09/2013 - 4th Anniversary

06/09/2014 - 5th Anniversary

USCIS - 36 days
12/10/2012 - Mailed I-130
01/01/2013 - Received NOA1 email
01/11/2013 - Received NOA1 letter in mail
02/05/2013 - NOA2 (Approved) but update is not reflected anywhere
02/19/2013 - Received NOA2 letter in mail

NVC
03/06/2013 - AOS fee invoice received
04/18/2013 - AOS fee paid
04/21/2013 - AOS paperwork mailed

01/06/2014 - Supporting documents requested

06/24/2014 - Mailed supporting documents

07/03/2014 - Email verifying documents were received

07/10/2014 - Received interview date

08/11/2014 - Scheduled medical

08/15/2014 - Scheduled interview date (APPROVED!)

08/18/2014 - Visa status changes to ISSUED on CEAC website

08/19/2014 - Waybill # for Loomis arrives in e-mail

08/20/2014 - Visa/Passport ready for pick up early morning

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A "normal" CR-1 takes 9-12 months from initially sending in paperwork to interview. Usually, when the US citizen lives abroad, it gets auto-expedited though recently that has not always been true. If expedited, it'll only take a few months- hopefulkly some Canadians will come by and give you country specific experience.

You don;t have to be separated. One of the big issues with the US citizen living abroad is that you need to financially sponsor your husband for the visa, and living abroad, your income doesn't count. So some people opt for the US citizen to move back to the USA first and get a job. The other options are to sponsor on assets (you need 3 times as much as income- things such as a second car, rental or holiday home or savings), or to get a co=sponsor: a US citizen or greencard holder who will stand guarantoor for your husband.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I obviously don't know your situation or your capabilities, but my husband and I are around 8 hours away from eachother. This allows for constant trips back and forth. In december, my husband will be visiting the states with me for 2 weeks while paperwork processes.

Also, just want to make sure you legally LIVE in canada.

I have "lived" in canada for 3 years now, but I don't actually live here, I just stay for months at a time as I hold a full time job and residence in the states and have the ability to work from the computer while up here.

Just in case that is the case with you, you cannot file with your address "abroad" you have to file as if you were in the states. Also, in case you ARE a legal resident of canada and read anything about filing abroad expediting the process, that is not typically the case for canada.

If you have no intention to move back to the US to hold a US job as proof of support, you will need to find a co-sponsor for support.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.