2,987 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving!!! Let's be thankful because you are SURVIVORS! Unfortunately many people died due the abused suffered. 3.200 women were killed by their spouses in 2010.Every 3 minutes in the US one person is assaulted or beaten by their partners.An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.It's a time to be grateful for your health, your family, friends.Let's be thankful for all the blessings.

May God gives strength to each and every one of you to overcome the violence or mental abuse that you were exposed. May the Lord bless you and keep you always in his care.

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving!!! Let's be thankful because you are SURVIVORS! Unfortunately many people died due the abused suffered. 3.200 women were killed by their spouses in 2010.Every 3 minutes in the US one person is assaulted or beaten by their partners.An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.It's a time to be grateful for your health, your family, friends.Let's be thankful for all the blessings.

May God gives strength to each and every one of you to overcome the violence or mental abuse that you were exposed. May the Lord bless you and keep you always in his care.

Thanks for encouraging words but so sad about how many women are killed and how many women and men are abused . happy thanksgiving to u.

Happy Thanksgiving to u 2 and all here, yes we are truly survivors........victors not victims :-)

Filed: Other Timeline

Public benefit is anything the welfare office provide but with vawa it varies from state to state. I see that u got approved in 2010 when was your interveiw cause from wat am seeing it took 2 yrs from your approval to get green card not including time you waited for approval.

Just want to know your timeline

Good luck

Oh well.. actually i applied vawa from foreign country in 2010 which was approved in 2011 and applied IB1 visa on approved vawa; had visa interview and got immigrant visa with permanent residence status in 2012 and been few days since i am here. will be going to make social security in few days, so was wondering if I am eligible for benefits, If yes what are they?

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Happy thanksgiving everyone!!!Have a wonderful celebration.Be gentle to that turkey...lol.

April 2009-Divorced

April 2011-Filed I-360,I-485,I-765(filed few days b/4 divorce was 2yrs which would have made me ineligible)

May 24,2011-RFE(For good faith marriage & Good moral character)

Aug 19,2011-I-485 touched(correspondence from USCIS were returned)

Aug 24,2011 & Aug 26,2011-Attorney called USCIS

Sept 12,2011-Another RFE for I-693 & passports sent

Sept 19,2011-RFE for I-693 & Passport received

Oct 18,2011-I-360 touched(status changed to "Response to RFE review)

Oct 21,2011-Prima facie sent

Nov 1,2011-Prima facie recieved(Still no EAD or Biometrics done)

Dec 1,2011-I-485 touched(still no EAD or Biometrics)

Dec 12,2011-1-485 touched(Interview notice sent-worried cause i don't have the vawa approval yet)

Dec 15,2011-called USCIS about my case

Dec 19,2011-Attorney called to cancel interview b/c we are still waiting for Vawa approval notice

Jan 5th,2012-New EAC #s issued for I-765 & I-485 by VSC(Both were sent back to VSC)

Jan 8th,2012-Attorney faxed in Request to expedite my case

Jan 19,2012(I-485 & I-765 touched)

Jan 25,2012(Biometrics letter mailed)

Jan 26,2012(Biometrics letter received by attorney)

Feb 1,2012(Biometrics letter in hand)

Feb 6,2012(EAD card mailed by USCIS)

Feb 8,2012(Biometrics done,I-485 & I-765 touched,EAD delivered by USPS)

Feb 10,2012(EAD in hand,I-765 touched)

Jul 2,2012(Attorney called cos my case was out of processing time)

July 3,2012(VSC called Attorney back/sent out RFE 4 GFmarriage same day)

Sept 28,2012(RFE received by VSC)

Oct 26,2012(I-360 approved,Oct 13th was actual approval date)

Nov 19 & Nov 21,2012(I-485 transferred to another office)

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

zainab786 once you have the green card you should not use public benefits because it will work against you when you will file for citizenship. Until the individual receive the green card Vawa filers can use public benefits without any problem,but once you have the green card you should be able to provide for yourself without using government funds for that. The Uscis can consider you a public charge and may not allow you to reenter in the USA when you are returning from a trip abroad or denying your Citizenship.In case of emergency after receiving the green card I do not recommend that you get any benefits more than six months at all. The State or Government might grant you benefits, but despite that you will have a big problem in the future. If you have children your children can use food stamps and medicaid without problem BUT NOT CASH ASSISTANCE, and YOU should not apply for any public benefits after receiving the green card or you will face serious consequences regarding your citizenship or reentering in the Usa after a trip abroad as i said before.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Other Timeline

zainab786 once you have the green card you should not use public benefits because it will work against you when you will file for citizenship. Until the individual receive the green card Vawa filers can use public benefits without any problem,but once you have the green card you should be able to provide for yourself without using government funds for that. The Uscis can consider you a public charge and may not allow you to reenter in the USA when you are returning from a trip abroad or denying your Citizenship.In case of emergency after receiving the green card I do not recommend that you get any benefits more than six months at all. The State or Government might grant you benefits, but despite that you will have a big problem in the future. If you have children your children can use food stamps and medicaid without problem BUT NOT CASH ASSISTANCE, and YOU should not apply for any public benefits after receiving the green card or you will face serious consequences regarding your citizenship or reentering in the Usa after a trip abroad as i said before.

Oh really so the benefits thing would cause me a problem.. I guess I am not applying for it than! thank you so much for letting me know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.