mmb

Court records destroyed

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm waiting for packet 3 right now and have sent of for a police check frim both Scotland and England.

In 1979 I had a minor conviction and was admonished, this would be considered spent for most reasons and under Scottish Law the 20:40 rule applies (it was more than 20 years ago and I'm now over 40 with no more convictions).

As I don't feel I want to risk lying on the form I contacted the court to find out how I could get a copy of the record.

I discovered the court no longer exists, it's work taken over by another local court. The court that has taken over has no records from the court Iappeared in.

I contacted the office of the Procurator Fiscal who confirmed there are no records from that time. He has agreed to provide me with a letter to confirm this. I feel this is a bit of a Catch 22.

Anyone have any ideas if I'm doing the right thing? (the guides just don't cover this :wacko: )

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

US does not have a 20/40 rule, or anything similar.

You declare it to the best of your knowledge.

Include the letter explaining why no court information is available.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
US does not have a 20/40 rule, or anything similar.

You declare it to the best of your knowledge.

Include the letter explaining why no court information is available.

Thanks, that's why I asked the fiscal to send me the letter.

I knew my mispent youth would catch up with me one day. :blush:

I just hope the consulate will accept it.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Hi there

do not worry about it, we are parents going through our daughter and we had the same problem, hubby had an offence over 35 years ago and we could not get any records for it from anywhere. We even wrote to the Archives centre in Kew as advised by the County court where he was convicted.

I explained this to the embassy and as long as you can show that you have done all possible and have the letters to prove this, they are fine about it. You should be OK

Sorry, computer went crazy for a minute, did mean to say whatever you do, do not lie, just make sure that for the missing records you have all the paperwork i.e any letters to show what you have done to try and find out about them and the responses you have received.

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Timeline
Hi there

do not worry about it, we are parents going through our daughter and we had the same problem, hubby had an offence over 35 years ago and we could not get any records for it from anywhere. We even wrote to the Archives centre in Kew as advised by the County court where he was convicted.

I explained this to the embassy and as long as you can show that you have done all possible and have the letters to prove this, they are fine about it. You should be OK

Sorry, computer went crazy for a minute, did mean to say whatever you do, do not lie, just make sure that for the missing records you have all the paperwork i.e any letters to show what you have done to try and find out about them and the responses you have received.

Thanks, I'm glad i'm not the only one to be in this situation. I had no intention of lying, but was worried about telling the truth without records to back me up.

As well as the letter from the Procurator Fiscal I think I'll ring around and see if there is a record centre for Scotland as they might be able to give me something in writing as well.

I hadn't thought about showing the consulate copies of letters I sent asking for information, I'll include those too, if they don't want them they don't have to read them.

PS was the waiver you had to file caused by his offence? do I need to find out how to file a waiver?

Edited by mmb

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Timeline

What was the conviction for.

How old was he.

What was the sentence.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

How old was he.

What was the sentence.

you asking me?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Timeline

How old was he.

What was the sentence.

you asking me?

:huh:

How old was he.

What was the sentence.

you asking me?

:lol: yes, Boiler is asking you :lol: Our waiver was filed for offences that my hubby committed when he was 17 -24, nothing serious but they then count as multiple convictions and there was nothing we could do even though he is now nearly 53 and has never offended for over 28 years

If you were a minor and it was only one offence and from what you say I think it was and it was only a minor conviction then you will probably be OK - but do not hold me to that as I am not a lawyer. You really need to do some research and the USCIS site has plenty about excludability and waivers

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Timeline

How old was he.

What was the sentence.

you asking me?

:lol: yes, Boiler is asking you :lol: Our waiver was filed for offences that my hubby committed when he was 17 -24, nothing serious but they then count as multiple convictions and there was nothing we could do even though he is now nearly 53 and has never offended for over 28 years

If you were a minor and it was only one offence and from what you say I think it was and it was only a minor conviction then you will probably be OK - but do not hold me to that as I am not a lawyer. You really need to do some research and the USCIS site has plenty about excludability and waivers

Thanks munchkin, I wasn't a minor but the offence was, I do want to be prepared just in case.

I hope everything goes well and fast for you and your hubby.

Maggie

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.