Kevo

Gift ideas

43 posts in this topic

I think I'll go with tshirts, hats, and halloween candy on clearance now (Hershey's ;) ). Thanks all for the suggestions.

I can't wait to see the Philippines, meet her family, and see her again. It's only been 3 months but seems like forever!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hershey's cheap?? When I think of American chocolate I think of Hershey's. If I send or bring chocolate it will be Hershey's and Hershey's only. Hershey's is delicious.

Now excuse me while I check to see how my Hershey's stock is doing. ;) Seriously though, Hershey's only for chocolate.

SPOT ON!! Hersey's to the grave!

Hershey's cheap?? When I think of American chocolate I think of Hershey's. If I send or bring chocolate it will be Hershey's and Hershey's only. Hershey's is delicious.

Now excuse me while I check to see how my Hershey's stock is doing. ;) Seriously though, Hershey's only for chocolate.

He He, I love Hershey chocolate also, and it is fine to give to the kids. But if your going to give chocolate as gift to a adult family member and remember it not just Nanay and Tatay, it is all the Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents and anyone you visit while there. Don't want to insult anyone by not bringing a gift. When you arrive in Manila go to the duty free store and buy some Toblerone chocolate bars for the adults. You can get all the Hershey chocolate at any Robinsons grocery you want so no need to pack chocolate in your luggage. While Hershey chocolate is considered cheap in the Phills, it not so much, you buy any chocolate lately, he he. :lol:

Yeah, they're going to be disappointed if they're expecting an American to bring them Swiss chocolate. Frankly, if Hersey's makes them think I'm cheap I really don't care. My goal isn't to make them think I'm rich. Actually, one of my concerns going in is her relatives trying to mooch off of me, so being labeled cheap may not be a bad thing, haha.

Five for $10 t-shirts seem to be a hit in my case. Chocolates are also nice for the kids. Take advantage of the after-Halloween candy sale :). Remember, the moment you brought them something is already considered thoughtful. Your girl will love you even more for that.

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now that we have established Herseys is a GREAT chocolate and not cheap in my book either do not look past the keyword MINI's. I like the Mixed Variety Bags, they are individually wrapped so no other fingers been on them while trying to break those large Bars into smaller sizes. Secondy what do kids do when you split something? They look to see which one is bigger! This way, no fingers and all same sizes :). Also the MINI-Peanutbutter-&-Chocolates (Reeses) are VERY POPULAR with the Adults Too and ME!!! LOL :). I froze 5 Bags of Mini's then wrapped in news-paper, 30 Hours later they were PERFECT condition to eat.

PS: Do NOT forget the UNO Card game, found at WALMART $4.00. Stay with Original UNO for now ;)

Mr Pangga

GOD Bless

Edited by Pangga&Shine

5 OCT 2011 Meet on a Free Christian Website www.jaderune.com
19 OCT 2011 Agree to be exclusive GF & BF after seeing her CENOMAR
10 NOV 2011 He Purchased Round Trip Ticket to Meet Me and Family.
7 to 27 FEB 2012 We Meet and Spent 21 Wonderful Days in Bohol.
26 FEB 2012 Engagement.
12 MAR 2012 I-129F Mailed to Dallas, TX Lock Box.
19 MAR 2012 USCIS email NOA1 and sent to California Service Center.
22 MAR 2012 NOA1 Letter I-797C received from snail mail.
20 APR 2012 Another NOA1 Letter I-797C this time with Alien # Added.
15 AUG 2012 She travels to Cebu an Obtained: NSO, NBI, BC and CFO Seminar Certificate in hand.
28 AUG 2012 NOA#2 I-797, received text and confirmed on dashboard. 162 days from NOA#1.
28 AUG 2012 FEDEX my packet to Her. Added I-134, Newly dated Intent to Marry Letter.
4 SEP 2012 FEDEX received in Bohol.
5 SEP 2012 MNL#, IIN# and BID# all retrieved from NVC.
6 SEP 2012 BPI payment made.
26 SEP 2012 St Lukes Medical PASSED smile.png
9 NOV 2012 Embassy Interview Date: Result = APPROAVED
15 NOV 2012 2GO Visa Delivered

22 NOV 2012 Point of Entry, Detroit, Michigan USA

28 NOV 2012 Marriage License

7 DEC Applied SSN, 17 DEC recieved SS Card

29 DEC Married

Adjustment of Status filed in Mid MAR 2013

AOS has 3 each NOA1 recieved

Biometrics was done mid April 2013.

SS Card changed to Married Name with Madien Name now middle name.

EAD / AP combo-card approved 18 MAY 2013.

AOS Interview was 28 MAY 2013, Approved.

Green Card with EAD/AP recieved 15 June 2013.

i think i'll jump in & give my 2 cents worth

when i went to the the province for the 1st time to meet my wifes family

i got dad a 1/2 gallon of JD (i also wraped it up in bubble wrap TWICE & then built a plywood box for it to go into)

even if the man doesn't drink (most do) he will put it up on a shelf so everyone who enters the house can see it

having a huge bottle of american whiskey over there is a really big deal!!!

for mom i stopped in the local town while on the way to the family house & got her a 50 kilo sack of rice (about 115 lbs)

please understand that MANY people in the Philippines skip meals often (welcome to the 3rd world)

by taking the time to buy them a whole sack of rice you are showing them that you care (you will make big points rite from the start)

i think i got the brothers & sisters cheep body wash & stuff like that from walmart

oh i think i also layed out $14.99 for a fixed blade knife for dad on that trip

i played hell finding a knife that was made in the U.S. at the store

most were made in China which they can just buy there

good luck

piglett

06/05/2010 wedding Cajidiocan, Philippines

11/17/2010 I-130 packet sent

11/23/2010 petition has been received and routed to the Vermont

Service Center for processing!!!

11/27/2010 NOA1 recieved by mail

04/23/2011 NOA2 recieved by mail....what a slow process : (

07/22/2011 AOS fee sent in also choice of address & agent form sent

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

02/28/2012 medical done ONE DAY !!!

03/14/2012 VISA APPROVED : )))

MY PICTURES http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

i think i'll jump in & give my 2 cents worth

when i went to the the province for the 1st time to meet my wifes family

i got dad a 1/2 gallon of JD (i also wraped it up in bubble wrap TWICE & then built a plywood box for it to go into)

even if the man doesn't drink (most do) he will put it up on a shelf so everyone who enters the house can see it

having a huge bottle of american whiskey over there is a really big deal!!!

for mom i stopped in the local town while on the way to the family house & got her a 50 kilo sack of rice (about 115 lbs)

please understand that MANY people in the Philippines skip meals often (welcome to the 3rd world)

by taking the time to buy them a whole sack of rice you are showing them that you care (you will make big points rite from the start)

i think i got the brothers & sisters cheep body wash & stuff like that from walmart

oh i think i also layed out $14.99 for a fixed blade knife for dad on that trip

i played hell finding a knife that was made in the U.S. at the store

most were made in China which they can just buy there

good luck

piglett

If it is a knife, just buy it on ebay or amazon. at least in my case, the preference was swiss army knife for $14.99. It turns out to be really handy during blackouts.

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

Ok, got 8 t-shirts and 3 hats...all with an American theme. One of the hats has a rebel flag, I'll get a kick out of seeing them wear that.

Got about 5 mini assorted Hershey candy bags.

Pangga, you sold me on the UNO cards. I'll let you know how that goes.

And Piglett, I'm gonna get a fifth of whisky tomorrow. Probably Jim Beam because I can't stand JD and I know my fiance doesn't like it also. Even though I'm sure JD is probably recognized more.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I bring a ####### load of blowpops and popcorn and it's a hit with everyone. Bring your hershy's chocolates, no one is going to call you cheap. Would hate to be related to the family that does!!!

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Kevo,i knew that place whre ur fiancee lives and i tell you lotions and perfumes is not wise to give as most of them don't use much of it coz they have traditional shampoos..it's a lot better if u ask your fiancee about it of which is most suitable items u could bring..my fiancee did thesame thing to me we talked about it and i told him what my family likes so it wont be a waste..anyhow anything u could bring will be highly appreciated though and your gestures count.. IM 100% ull njoy your visit and it's worth it..LOTS of places there to visit and all NATURE..Have a safe trip..

Ok, got 8 t-shirts and 3 hats...all with an American theme. One of the hats has a rebel flag, I'll get a kick out of seeing them wear that.

Got about 5 mini assorted Hershey candy bags.

Pangga, you sold me on the UNO cards. I'll let you know how that goes.

And Piglett, I'm gonna get a fifth of whisky tomorrow. Probably Jim Beam because I can't stand JD and I know my fiance doesn't like it also. Even though I'm sure JD is probably recognized more.

You know you can buy JB at the duty free store at Terminal 1, about $76 for 3 liters.

When I visited in February I brought a bag of small assorted individually wrapped Hershey's chocolates for the nephew and younger cousins. For my wife, her sisters, and her co-workers I brought Ghirardelli chocolate bars of various flavors (American made premium Swiss chocolate). I brought a box of assorted chocolates for the household help. I brought Polo shirts for her brother and Papa. For Mama I brought apple butter and maple syrup. I plan on bringing the same this time around when I go in December, plus extras for Christmas presents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.