Minu Luvs Pinu

Ontario Vehicle Registration Expiring this month... Can't get Connecticut License

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

I'm so incredibly upset right now. I've been driving back and forth to the DMV in Norwalk, Connecticut (40 minutes with lots of traffic on i-95) to get my license and vehicle registered and It's been an nightmare for me. I have been there three times just this week.

I have paid for my connecticut state license on Tuesday soon after I find out that they cannot issue it to me because of immigrations. My status in the US is... well I don't have one because I'm still in Adjustment status. I have an EAD and I'm actually working now, so #######?! I went back today to see what the status is and all they could tell me is that "We;ll call you once we know your information has cleared immigration" I asked them "How long is this going to take?", they replied "It could take a week, it could take a month, we don't know."

My problem is that my Ontario registration is about to expire on the 31st of October and I didn't bother registering my vehicle because I figured that I would just get in registered in Connecticut without any problems. So now my question is, what should I do? I can't register my car in CT if my registration in ON has expired. I have american insurance on my car now too. I'm with Progressive. They had no problem getting me covered with a Canadian license and registration so long I change it to CT state soon.

Can I register my vehicle online? with my american insurance?

I called the ministry of transportation and they referred me to the Registration department. I called and left them a message but I fear they won't get back to me in time. So I'm desperately seeking some help here. Any one know what to do? I don't wanna have to drive up to Canada this weekend to do this, but if all fails I suppose I'll have to.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Vjers,

I'm so incredibly upset right now. I've been driving back and forth to the DMV in Norwalk, Connecticut (40 minutes with lots of traffic on i-95) to get my license and vehicle registered and It's been an nightmare for me. I have been there three times just this week.

I have paid for my connecticut state license on Tuesday soon after I find out that they cannot issue it to me because of immigrations. My status in the US is... well I don't have one because I'm still in Adjustment status. I have an EAD and I'm actually working now, so #######?! I went back today to see what the status is and all they could tell me is that "We;ll call you once we know your information has cleared immigration" I asked them "How long is this going to take?", they replied "It could take a week, it could take a month, we don't know."

My problem is that my Ontario registration is about to expire on the 31st of October and I didn't bother registering my vehicle because I figured that I would just get in registered in Connecticut without any problems. So now my question is, what should I do? I can't register my car in CT if my registration in ON has expired. I have american insurance on my car now too. I'm with Progressive. They had no problem getting me covered with a Canadian license and registration so long I change it to CT state soon.

Can I register my vehicle online? with my american insurance?

I called the ministry of transportation and they referred me to the Registration department. I called and left them a message but I fear they won't get back to me in time. So I'm desperately seeking some help here. Any one know what to do? I don't wanna have to drive up to Canada this weekend to do this, but if all fails I suppose I'll have to.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello to you, I am in the same predicament as you,the difference is I am in manchester Connecticut, and I have applied for my drivers license, almost a month now, I went to do the written test and they told me they have to wait until they verify my immigration status, I receive a note two weeks later that they got a reply from immigration and they have forward my application and I should wait for another two weeks to hear from them, Its really a pain in the butt since you have to wait so long, am still waiting its almost a month now, still waiting.

Hang in there and I hoping it all works out.

Timeline

Jesus, If I had known this I would have done it two months earlier. I just got my car imported a month ago.

I don't think I need a driving test done, my license is considered "out of state" so it's just to be replaced. But it's ridiculous that it's gonna be taking that long since my license is out of state. I don't get it.

I think I can register my car online in Ontario Canada. I found the link:

http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_residents/ONT06_025225.html

But I'm not sure if this will work out, waiting for my husband to get home before I decide what to do. He's suggesting he register my car on his name. We'll see.

If any one else has any suggestions, please let me know.

Timeline

It worked. I re-newed my stickers online. They should be in the mail within 5 business days. That was a lot easier than anything the DMV in Connecticut can do. I think the only thing I like about the US is my Husband, everything else I could careless for. :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well that's a pain! Now you'll need to turn around and register your car in the US and pay again... when you get everything sorted out of course.

When I got my state license it took me 10 weeks to clear immigrations. It was a nightmare. I ended up having to make an info pass appointment with USCIS to fix my name in their database, because the first time I didn't clear. Hopefully you have an easier time!

Timeline

Well that's a pain! Now you'll need to turn around and register your car in the US and pay again... when you get everything sorted out of course.

When I got my state license it took me 10 weeks to clear immigrations. It was a nightmare. I ended up having to make an info pass appointment with USCIS to fix my name in their database, because the first time I didn't clear. Hopefully you have an easier time!

What do you mean ? Whose Database? and which name? Your last name? and what is an info pass appointment.

10 weeks. Omg jesus christ! I might aswell not even register my car in CT if it takes that long.

Timeline

What do you mean ? Whose Database? and which name? Your last name? and what is an info pass appointment.

10 weeks. Omg jesus christ! I might aswell not even register my car in CT if it takes that long.

When you apply for a state license they run your information through some verification system USCIS updates. I applied for AOS in my married name, but they never updated their system and it still noted my maiden name, So I had my EAD in my married name, and the system had my maiden name, so I didn't clear. My information was sent for manual verification, I waited 10 weeks and still didn't clear. So I had to make an appointment with the local USCIS and have an immigration officer go into the system and update my name so when I went back to the DMV I finally cleared. It was a huge headache. But this is really rare.

You will eventually need to register your car in CT. If you go too long and your insurance company finds out, they will cancel you pretty fast. Generally they give you until your next renewal. Of course, if you never put in a claim or tell them, they probably won't find out. (I'm an insurance agent)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

And I'm sure if an insurance company can find a way to not pay out..........lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yeah well I have every intention of getting my license and registration in CT as soon as I can. Since I can;t do anything about it, I have no choice but to re-new my stickers in Ontario. I'm not gonna get screwed for something I have no control over. It's probably this stupid mistake, they didn't change my last name. Wow, this system is so disorganized. This really frustrates me a lot, you do everything by the rules and you still get screwed.

Timeline

I'm going to be completely honest with you- insurance companies screw people everyday for things they have no control over. But like I said, you should be fine until renewal. As long as you represented information correctly, which it sounds like you did, no reason to think they would deny a claim if it happened.

Hopefully its not a name issue... but if it is, you can fix it. So try not to stress too much... anything can be overcome, and in the meantime your car still has a valid registration and you can drive on your old license.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.