Penny Lane

An open letter to Ann Coulter

20 posts in this topic

If you didn't see it earlier, Ann Coulter has decided to call the President a "retard" ... this is a wonderful letter she received in response.

http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

Dear Ann Coulter,

Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?

I’m a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public’s perception that an intellectual disability means that I am dumb and shallow. I am not either of those things, but I do process information more slowly than the rest of you. In fact it has taken me all day to figure out how to respond to your use of the R-word last night.

I thought first of asking whether you meant to describe the President as someone who was bullied as a child by people like you, but rose above it to find a way to succeed in life as many of my fellow Special Olympians have.

Then I wondered if you meant to describe him as someone who has to struggle to be thoughtful about everything he says, as everyone else races from one snarkey sound bite to the next.

Finally, I wondered if you meant to degrade him as someone who is likely to receive bad health care, live in low grade housing with very little income and still manages to see life as a wonderful gift.

Because, Ms. Coulter, that is who we are – and much, much more.

After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.

I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.

Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.

No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.

Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged.

A friend you haven’t made yet, John Franklin Stephens

Global Messenger

Special Olympics Virginia

Filed: Timeline
If you didn't see it earlier, Ann Coulter has decided to call the President a "retard" ... this is a wonderful letter she received in response.

http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged.

Ann Coulter has a heart? :blink:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Someone took Ann Coulter seriously? :lol:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Someone took Ann Coulter seriously? :lol:

It's not about taking her seriously. She's a professional troll. Doesn't mean she shouldn't be called out, though.

Good for people who don't simply look the other way and stand up for what they believe in, regardless of the source.

So what he is saying is that calling Obama a retard is offensive to retards.

Calling anyone a "retard" or "retarded" as an insult is offensive to people with disabilities.

I wonder how long it'll take before someone comes in here and says people are too sensitive to get offended by these things.

Timeline

I wonder how long it'll take before someone comes in here and says people are too sensitive to get offended by these things.

people are too sensitive and get easily offended....

I'm amused that you try to speak for 'all' of the 'mentally challenged' community in saying that they're offended by it. Some might be, but not all.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

people are too sensitive and get easily offended....

I'm amused that you try to speak for 'all' of the 'mentally challenged' community in saying that they're offended by it. Some might be, but not all.

There it is.

I'm not trying to speak for anyone. Some find it offensive, some don't. Some find "gay" as insult to be offensive, some don't. Implying there's something negative behind being disabled or being homosexual isn't a positive thing.

Luckily, you are not the thought police, and people get to choose how they react or DON'T react to statements like this.

Some will shrug it off, some won't. Doesn't mean the people who don't shrug it off should be silenced because it doesn't bother someone else.

It seriously never ceases to amaze me what people on this forum will choose to argue about. This is a mostly positive post about someone who said something negative, another person found it offensive and responded in a positive way. Nothing controversial here.

Timeline

There it is.

I'm not trying to speak for anyone. Some find it offensive, some don't. Some find "gay" as insult to be offensive, some don't. Implying there's something negative behind being disabled or being homosexual isn't a positive thing.

Luckily, you are not the thought police, and people get to choose how they react or DON'T react to statements like this.

Some will shrug it off, some won't. Doesn't mean the people who don't shrug it off should be silenced because it doesn't bother someone else.

It seriously never ceases to amaze me what people on this forum will choose to argue about. This is a mostly positive post about someone who said something negative, another person found it offensive and responded in a positive way. Nothing controversial here.

If a homosexual is offended by the word "Gay" being used, then perhaps they shouldn't have bastardized the word "Gay" in the first place.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!