IsmoBem

ATTN: ALL Filipinos in the US. WHAT DO U WISH U BROUGHT WITH YOU IN THE US?

40 posts in this topic

Ok so i am definetly bringing some dried mangoes as pasalubong :)

:thumbs: Oh do u think i can bring some dried fish with me? :blush: i tot perishable items are prohibited. :unsure:

Yes you can bring dried fish in your checked luggage, if you get fish at a market just wrap them up real good and tight, the pre-packaged kind you buy like at Robinsons grocery are ok like they come. After you get here find a Filipino store in your area, or there are some online sites for Filipino grocery's for those must have items.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will have to wait for Anne to answer this but we just had the corned beef conversation! I would suggest hair and skin items because it may be hard to find one that she likes and works. Some acne may become an issue. Especially with winter upon us... Guys, get some nasal spray and saline, vaseline and lip balms( get a few different ones) because your girls sinuses and lips will dry out and be uncomfortable and hard to breath.

Bring a box of your favorite noodles. The local Asian shop in USA might not have your brand.

Also, if you're running out of luggage space, consider maybe leaving your sweaters and buying new ones in USA. This is only because you're not used to USA winters, and our sweaters might be thicker than the ones you own. Check with your fiance on the winter temperature where he lives.

i wanted to go to the dentist before i leave PI, but my fiance told me that we have dental insurance for military spouses, is that true?

If you have insurance, then you are fine. :). Many people nowadays just don't have dental insurance.

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you have insurance, then you are fine. :). Many people nowadays just don't have dental insurance.

Do all or anything put off for medical/ dental in Phils. Even with insurance the sticker shock will make her head spin!! even after seeing the grocery bill!

I will have to wait for Anne to answer this but we just had the corned beef conversation! I would suggest hair and skin items because it may be hard to find one that she likes and works. Some acne may become an issue. Especially with winter upon us... Guys, get some nasal spray and saline, vaseline and lip balms( get a few different ones) because your girls sinuses and lips will dry out and be uncomfortable and hard to breath.

I agree! :thumbs: I'm curious though about the corned beef conversation! :)

Bring a box of your favorite noodles. The local Asian shop in USA might not have your brand.

Also, if you're running out of luggage space, consider maybe leaving your sweaters and buying new ones in USA. This is only because you're not used to USA winters, and our sweaters might be thicker than the ones you own. Check with your fiance on the winter temperature where he lives.

This too! :thumbs:

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

i wanted to go to the dentist before i leave PI, but my fiance told me that we have dental insurance for military spouses, is that true?

Dental coverage is almost nothing. You'll still have to pay big chunk of money for any major procedures

I just want some Kropeks and Belo Essentials Day and Night Cream please?

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Hi VJ,

So my hubby just booked a ticket for me, :dance: :dance: leaving early November for US. :luv: Now i am already thinking about wat stuff to bring with me in America. For u guys who's in the US now please take time to answer this question.. :)

WHAT DO U WISH U BROUGHT WITH YOU IN THE US? ( Can be food, meds etc.) :blush:

Just wondering what should i bring with me aside from some pasalubong. :yes:

We jsut went back for our first post marriage visit. My wife brought enough dried fish to feed an Army. it looked like 5 kilos of heroin in the suitcase. Also any of the whitening cream deodorant etc etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You cannot bring dried fish, or any meat products of any kind. They confiscated my Pancit Canton noodles because they had 'chicken' as an ingredient!

Depending on where you are going, in the Bay Area, and Southern California, Seafood City is a chain of Filipino Supermarkets, and they will have a lot of the beauty products, food products you'd want, including shampoo, soap, etc.

So far I have not seen Magic Sarap in any stores though. You might want to bring some of that!!!

Also, bring me some peanut butter flavor Presto Creams, and strawberry flavor Frooties. I can't find them here anywhere :(

In terms of food and beauty products i dont have a problem here in Hawaii cuz we got asian stores here and most of the product from philippines are available, havent seen magic sarap but seen knorr cubes..

but wish i could brought along more medicines, especially pain reliver and my daughter's medicine. Tempra, solmux, neosep syrup..

Our Time Line
---------------------------
CR-1/CR-2
---------------------------

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

Hmmm, if you have sensitive skin and use a beauty regimen from here, you might want to bring ample supply til you find your "kahiyang" products available in the US. I broke out pretty badly last year when the season shifted from summer to fall, turns out my skin became too dry which caused my break-outs and I've got pretty sensitive skin I was afraid to try products from the US. I wished then that I brought more of my stuff from my dermatologist. :( But that's me!

If you like corned beef, I still prefer the ones from here - mas malasa and even the noodles (Lucky Me). :)

NOTED! :thumbs:

Yes you can bring dried fish in your checked luggage, if you get fish at a market just wrap them up real good and tight, the pre-packaged kind you buy like at Robinsons grocery are ok like they come. After you get here find a Filipino store in your area, or there are some online sites for Filipino grocery's for those must have items.

OKEI i will do that. Thanks :):thumbs:

Ok ok ! Thanks :) :thumbs:

Dental coverage is almost nothing. You'll still have to pay big chunk of money for any major procedures

I just want some Kropeks and Belo Essentials Day and Night Cream please?

:rofl:

We jsut went back for our first post marriage visit. My wife brought enough dried fish to feed an Army. it looked like 5 kilos of heroin in the suitcase. Also any of the whitening cream deodorant etc etc.

:rofl: OKEI OKEI! :)

In terms of food and beauty products i dont have a problem here in Hawaii cuz we got asian stores here and most of the product from philippines are available, havent seen magic sarap but seen knorr cubes..

but wish i could brought along more medicines, especially pain reliver and my daughter's medicine. Tempra, solmux, neosep syrup..

Yes Sis, i am definetly bringing those stuff for me and my son. :)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.]1st Cor 13: 4-7

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.