KaliMara

Immigrant Visa - CR1 Interview questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello All,

Both my husband and I have been doing a lot of reading and research in this site,where we found similar answers to our case. In one of the trips from Canada to the US, when my husband was asked in the border "what is the purpose of your trip to the US?" he answered with "going to get married". He didn't know the process of applying for IV through marriage to a US citizen. So he was told to go back to Canada, and if he wanted to just visit the US, he had to bring proof of domicile in Canada. Two weeks later by husband tried to come and visit as a tourist with all the records he was told to have handy in case of further questions from the borders officer. This time he was denied again, and was told to bring back all the records of 6 months of utility bills, phone bills, confirmation of rent paid and his pay stubs from work. After this second time, we decided to start the process for Immigrant Visa. We got married in Canada. Now we are waiting for the Interview date in Montreal Consulate. However, this is where we have questions!!

In the interview, one of the questions being asked is if "you have ever had trouble entering in the US?" which he also answered in the DS-260 - application form, with the correct dates of both times he tried passing the border. We are confused or even worried, if this question has a risky potential in the interview because of the word "trouble"? He wasn't troublesome, wasn't handcuffed or arrested, but had the option to withdraw his request of visit the US, in both times, which he did!! Is this trouble?

Has anyone been in the same situation? If so, what has been the best answer to give? We understood that we were naive, not to know that you can't move from Canada to US as if you move from one town to the other. The difference between countries and rules is that he needed to apply for a visa. So if he answers the same way he did at the border, which is the truth, does the embassy penalizes you for that?

Any advice, suggestions or answers from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I think trouble here is anything that differs from the usual "Hi, passport please, welcome". IMO being honest and writing it on the form was the best thing to do.

If it's on the form he might get asked about it at the interview, he should just tell the truth and explain what happened. The fact that he was honest with border patrol is going to work in his favor when he explains it.

Hello All,

Both my husband and I have been doing a lot of reading and research in this site,where we found similar answers to our case. In one of the trips from Canada to the US, when my husband was asked in the border "what is the purpose of your trip to the US?" he answered with "going to get married". He didn't know the process of applying for IV through marriage to a US citizen. So he was told to go back to Canada, and if he wanted to just visit the US, he had to bring proof of domicile in Canada. Two weeks later by husband tried to come and visit as a tourist with all the records he was told to have handy in case of further questions from the borders officer. This time he was denied again, and was told to bring back all the records of 6 months of utility bills, phone bills, confirmation of rent paid and his pay stubs from work. After this second time, we decided to start the process for Immigrant Visa. We got married in Canada. Now we are waiting for the Interview date in Montreal Consulate. However, this is where we have questions!!

In the interview, one of the questions being asked is if "you have ever had trouble entering in the US?" which he also answered in the DS-260 - application form, with the correct dates of both times he tried passing the border. We are confused or even worried, if this question has a risky potential in the interview because of the word "trouble"? He wasn't troublesome, wasn't handcuffed or arrested, but had the option to withdraw his request of visit the US, in both times, which he did!! Is this trouble?

Has anyone been in the same situation? If so, what has been the best answer to give? We understood that we were naive, not to know that you can't move from Canada to US as if you move from one town to the other. The difference between countries and rules is that he needed to apply for a visa. So if he answers the same way he did at the border, which is the truth, does the embassy penalizes you for that?

Any advice, suggestions or answers from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!

Take a deep breath and let it out. You'll be fine :) I had a similar situation where I was denied twice at the border. After the second time, I didn't bother again and my husband just came to visit instead. I answered on the DS-260 about my two denials (as there was no way I was going to lie or cover it up). At my interview, I was prepared to answer questions about my 2 denials. I had the answers all mentally ready. Guess what? They never even asked me about it! Although I knew it wouldn't be a problem (they can't deny a visa just because you got denied at the border for silly reasons), I still thought I'd be asked a question or two. As a Canadian, it's nothing worth worrying about. The officers know that we cross a lot to the US, and that denials do happen. As long as one isn't denied entry due to something serious (like being suspected of being a terrorist or something), it's not an issue.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you so much for your fast reply!!

Saylin, since you have been through the same situation, my next question will be around preparation for proof of relationship. Besides the Marriage Certificate, did they ask you for pictures, e-mails, proof of spouse's visits?

Thank you so much for your fast reply!!

Saylin, since you have been through the same situation, my next question will be around preparation for proof of relationship. Besides the Marriage Certificate, did they ask you for pictures, e-mails, proof of spouse's visits?

Besides the required documents, they asked for no proof of relationship. Montreal is really easy in this aspect. It's very rare to be asked for proof of relationship. I still most definitely suggest bringing it, but it's likely you won't be asked at all for it. The interview is also very short (compared to other countries). I was in the actual interview room less than 5 minutes. Was only asked two questions. I suggest you read my review (found by clicking on the 'timeline' button to the left) :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.