LarissaAnn

Anyone married on a tourist visa then left? What should the U.S. citizen's invitation letter contain?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance is planning to visit the U.S. and we want to do a civil ceremony so that I can begin processing my UK immigration ahead of time. What should I write in my invitation letter for him to give to U.S. customs? Do we just let them know right out the gate the purpose of the visit IS just a visit but that we do intend to marry, he'll leave afterwards, then I'll be joining him at a later date? Or should we not bluntly advertise it like such?

You should not provide an invitation letter at all. It is not required, and makes things look fishy. A US Citizen does not need to invite tourists here for them to be admitted, and in fact has no power to do so. The tourist must show strong ties to home and convince the CBP they will leave.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

You should not provide an invitation letter at all. It is not required, and makes things look fishy. A US Citizen does not need to invite tourists here for them to be admitted, and in fact has no power to do so. The tourist must show strong ties to home and convince the CBP they will leave.

Good to know. I was thinking a letter from myself confirming with my own evidence (letter of resignation from my jobs etc.) my plans to leave with him after our marriage would be a help but if it's not necessary then that's one less thing to stress about I suppose. Thank you Harpa =)

I'm in the exact situation where my Fiance (US) and myself (UK) wish to get married in the USA in order that she can come to the UK.

I understand it is perfectly legal to get married on the ESTA as long as you intend to leave after.

However I am worried that I might get stopped at customs if they don't believe I plan to leave after.

Other than a letter from work, car finance agreement and tenancy agreement for my rented flat is there any other information I can bring as proof that I plan to leave after?

Is it best to say I am coming to visit or that I am coming to marry and then intent to leave?

My fiance is planning to visit the U.S. and we want to do a civil ceremony so that I can begin processing my UK immigration ahead of time. What should I write in my invitation letter for him to give to U.S. customs? Do we just let them know right out the gate the purpose of the visit IS just a visit but that we do intend to marry, he'll leave afterwards, then I'll be joining him at a later date? Or should we not bluntly advertise it like such?

1. Unless he has a criminal record or previous immigration violations, he doesn't need a tourist visa as a UK citizen. He can just fill out ESTA online and enter on the visa waiver program.

2. Invitation letters are not required, needed, nor are they particularly helpful. I agree with Harpa, they look more fishy than anything else.

3. It's perfectly legal to get married while in the US as a tourist. In fact, if he intends to leave after the ceremony, tourist visa/VWP is the only appropriate way to do it.

4. If the main purpose of this trip is the wedding, I personally would tell them flat out he's here for his wedding, and that you guys plan on living together in the UK. I would probably bring some kind of evidence showing ties to the UK though, such as an employer letter, apt lease or property ownership etc. just in case.

Edited by Jay Jay

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.