Liverpool

Time from Filing I-130 to Getting Visa for my Son?

7 posts in this topic

Good morning, everyone. I came from England six years ago, married my fiancé and two years ago became a Naturalized American citizen. Sadly my wife died last year and I would like to bring my son from England, using the Form I-130, to live with me, work here and make a living for himself. I am 75 years of age and my son is single and 45 years of age.

A couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

(1) How long will it be from the time I send in the Form I-130 to my son obtaining the visa to come to America? Just a rough idea, please!

(2) If, God forbid, I was to die before my son got the visa what would happen to my application?

(3) In question B6 (Marital Status) on the Form I-130 I have obviously ticked “Widowed” but in question B8 (Date and Place of Present Marriage) do I put “N/A” as I am not married and put in a covering letter explaining this?

(4) In question B12 (Date Marriage Ended), would I put the date my wife died and put in a covering letter explaining this?

(5) What does my son have to do while waiting for a decision, e.g. gathering information about himself, his work, his police record, etc.?

(6) It states on the Instructions that copies of my son’s birth certificate and my marriage certificate are all that is needed. Is that all or would you recommend anything else?

(7) As I live in Florida it states on the Instructions that I should mail the I-130 to Phoenix. Would you recommend using U.S. Postal Service or Express Mail/Courier delivery?

Any other information you think I should have to make sure that I have filled in the Form I-130 correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. About 7 years

2. It would disappear. Visas are for family re-unification, and he would not have family in the USA anymore.

5. Closer to the time of the interview, he should gather police records from any country he has lived in longer than 6 months, and his vaccination records.

6. Plus the forums.

7. Use normal post, don't waste your money.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As you are now a US citizen, if your son is unmarried the wait time is much less. Not sure how much, maybe someone else can confirm this for you.

Much less than what? The 7 years I quoted are correct as of the current visa bulletin: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5779.html

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Much less than what? The 7 years I quoted are correct as of the current visa bulletin: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5779.html

Wow! Seven years. After having read the "US Visa Bulletin for November", for which I thank you "Penguin", I see that it would be easier, or I should say quicker, if you were a Permanent Resident rather than a U.S. Citizen; which I find strange! I must have misread somewhere that the time to obtain the visa would be in months rather than years. Oh, well, I am a little more despondent now than when I woke up this morning. At my age I'll have to stay fit and healthy for a few more years yet!! Thank you for your responses. Jack.

Wow! Seven years. After having read the "US Visa Bulletin for November", for which I thank you "Penguin", I see that it would be easier, or I should say quicker, if you were a Permanent Resident rather than a U.S. Citizen; which I find strange! I must have misread somewhere that the time to obtain the visa would be in months rather than years. Oh, well, I am a little more despondent now than when I woke up this morning. At my age I'll have to stay fit and healthy for a few more years yet!! Thank you for your responses. Jack.

F2A is for children--little kids , minors. Your son is called a "son" not "child" in immigration language because he is over 21 years old. Right now it's 8 years if you were a LPR. The sooner you apply, the sooner you get in the queue. The wait changes monthly and could go up or down, but if you don't apply, you don't have a place in line.

Your first questions--

3. N/A works or write not married

4. Date of death is when your marriage ended.

No explanation needed. They'll get it because you ticked widower. The form is often used for married people petitioning for spouses so they ask for when the marriage took place.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.