ljs

Passport Valid for 6 or 12 months?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I was at the passport office last week and spoke to the supervisor about the "In Lieu of Guarantor" and the timeline for such applications and was told that if you have no guarantor, they cannot guarantee that you will even get a passport, which I think will not be the case here, but she explained that they have to check every reference (4) and do extended security checks. Because of this all bets are off regarding timeframe for getting your passport back and you cannot have it expedited.

I don't think Passport Canada can ever "guarantee" that ANYONE will get a passport. I mean, you have to pass through several security checks and all, so it's quite possible that even with an official guarantor (as opposed to the "In Lieu of Guarantor" form), you may not get a Canadian passport.

I have a question: Does that mean you need to write down two NEW references on the "In Lieu of Guarantor" application, in ADDITION to the two references you wrote down on the original passport application, or can you use the same references?

I've heard that -- if you turn in your application to a Passport Canada office in person -- you should receive your passport in about 10 business days. If you use the "In Lieu of Guarantor" form, does that mean that the processing time takes significantly longer? If it does, any idea how much longer?

I'm interested in knowing because my fiancee may or may not have to use that form. She has a few possible guarantors, but none of them are certain by any means. They could refuse or they may not even remember her.

She's supposed to come down to the U.S. on December 30, 2006. Is that enough time for her to receive her passport, if she has to make use of the "In Lieu of Guarantor" application? If that isn't enough time, I've read that technically, Canadians won't be required to have passports to come into the United States until January 8, 2007 (she leaves to return home to Canada on January 7, 2007), but I've also heard -- and I don't know how reliable this is -- that the airlines won't let someone board an international flight without a passport. Is that true as well?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. :help:

So as far as I can see, our best option will be going with the 10 months remaining passport and hoping for the best-as if the interview isn't nerve wracking enough!!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've heard that -- if you turn in your application to a Passport Canada office in person -- you should receive your passport in about 10 business days. If you use the "In Lieu of Guarantor" form, does that mean that the processing time takes significantly longer? If it does, any idea how much longer?

I'm interested in knowing because my fiancee may or may not have to use that form. She has a few possible guarantors, but none of them are certain by any means. They could refuse or they may not even remember her.

She's supposed to come down to the U.S. on December 30, 2006. Is that enough time for her to receive her passport, if she has to make use of the "In Lieu of Guarantor" application? If that isn't enough time, I've read that technically, Canadians won't be required to have passports to come into the United States until January 8, 2007 (she leaves to return home to Canada on January 7, 2007), but I've also heard -- and I don't know how reliable this is -- that the airlines won't let someone board an international flight without a passport. Is that true as well?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. :help:

One thing your fiance can try if she uses the 'In Lieu of Guarantor" for her passport is to check to see if her local MPs office has a Commissioner of Oaths on staff. I used to be a C.O. and regularly completed the 'In Lieu of Guarantor" forms. All of the passport applications for which I completed the 'In Lieu" forms processed without problems and apparently without delays. She can also use a family doctor, dentist, chiropractor, or veterinarian which might be available to her as well. Yes, going in person to the Passport Office is the best and fastest way to obtain a passport. Going in person means that they will check over the application in her presence, ensure that the photographs are suitable (the most common reason for a passport application to be returned) and if not she can get them done again right away so there is no delay, and then show her original birth certificate but they will return it to her at that time so she keeps it in her possession - they will take a photocopy. The passport should be received within 10 days - mine took 7 last time I followed that route.

She won't require a passport to re-enter Canada as a Canadian but the passport rule to enter the US by air does come into effect Jan 8th. Canada has not enacted any legislation to require Canadians having passports to enter Canada, but she will probably be required to have a valid passport for her flights between the US and Canada. If she is close enough to the border she could use a land crossing which won't require a passport until 2009 and then catch a flight from the US to your location. She should have time, however, to obtain a passport prior to December 30. She should go as soon as possible, however, as things do slow down near Christmas.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.