ljs

Passport Valid for 6 or 12 months?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For some reason I have it in my head that passports must be valid for 12 months+ when you go for your interview in Montreal. I have searched through my packets 3 and 4 for something to that effect and had a look on here too, and have come up empty. Does anyone have a link or information as to how long passports must be valid when getting your K visa?

Thanks,

Linda

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

Six

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...4.html#Applying So it may need to be longer than 6 months if you are just starting the visa process, the passport needs to be valid for 6 months past the date that you enter the country on the k-1 visa. Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Ok..I found it in my checklist from Montreal....I was beginning to think I had lost my mind!

"1. Passport: Obtain valid passport or if you already have a passport,

make certain that it is still valid for at least one year. "

This add a new level of stress to my life now! My daughter's pasport expires Aug 07 and since she has not lived in Canada for the past 10 years of her 16 yrs, we have no guarantor for her. The passort office told me that they cannot guarantee a passport with no guantor and cannot expidite it either. Our appointment in Montreal is in two weeks! Ugh...

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

I-130 for Daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Ok..I found it in my checklist from Montreal....I was beginning to think I had lost my mind!

This add a new level of stress to my life now! My daughter's pasport expires Aug 07 and since she has not lived in Canada for the past 10 years of her 16 yrs, we have no guarantor for her. The passort office told me that they cannot guarantee a passport with no guantor and cannot expidite it either. Our appointment in Montreal is in two weeks! Ugh...

You should be fine, print out the page from the state department that I posted and point out the 6 months claimed there, your daughters passport should fit with in the parameters set out by the State-Department which oversees the consulate.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...4.html#Applying

I think the consulate puts a year on the form to make sure that beneficiaries look and have more than what is required so that they can anticipate the ones that are close at the point of interview.

Make sense?

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

You can ask a notary to notarize her documents! You just have to pay a fee.. and it's around $20 the last time I paid.

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Timeline

You should be fine, print out the page from the state department that I posted and point out the 6 months claimed there, your daughters passport should fit with in the parameters set out by the State-Department which oversees the consulate.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...4.html#Applying

I think the consulate puts a year on the form to make sure that beneficiaries look and have more than what is required so that they can anticipate the ones that are close at the point of interview.

Make sense?

Yeah makes sense, still worried though..... :(

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

I-130 for Daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, from what I've read before here on VJ -- and just looked up on Passport Canada's website, in order to be sure -- is that your guarantor can be a citizen of Canada OR the United States, so long as you're a Canadian citizen living within the United States.

The same rules apply to American guarantors as they do to Canadian ones (medical doctors, dentists, attorneys, police officer, etc.), and they must sign the necessary documentation and photos. Your guarantor CANNOT be retired; however he or she CAN be a relative.

I have a feeling, however, if you had a relative who could act as a guarantor, none of this would be an issue. Anyway, that's the scoop on guarantors within the U.S. for Canadians. Here's the link on guarantors at Passport Canada as well.

I hope some of this has helped. :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The passport must be valid for the entire time that the visa is valid. So since the visa is good for 6 months, the passport must be good for 6 months...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
Okay, from what I've read before here on VJ -- and just looked up on Passport Canada's website, in order to be sure -- is that your guarantor can be a citizen of Canada OR the United States, so long as you're a Canadian citizen living within the United States.

The same rules apply to American guarantors as they do to Canadian ones (medical doctors, dentists, attorneys, police officer, etc.), and they must sign the necessary documentation and photos. Your guarantor CANNOT be retired; however he or she CAN be a relative.

I have a feeling, however, if you had a relative who could act as a guarantor, none of this would be an issue. Anyway, that's the scoop on guarantors within the U.S. for Canadians. Here's the link on guarantors at Passport Canada as well.

I hope some of this has helped. :)

Thanks DeadpoolX...but we have been in the UK for most of the 10 years :)

The passport must be valid for the entire time that the visa is valid. So since the visa is good for 6 months, the passport must be good for 6 months...

Zyggy, that makes perfect sense, and the logical part of me thinks it will be fine, but is not what it says on the checklist....so will you come with me on the 14th and explain it nicely to the consular officer? :lol:

Edited by ljs

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

I-130 for Daughter

Filed: Other Timeline

AFAIK, a guarantor just has to have known you for at least 2 years, not just the past 2 years. So if a listed guarantor has known your daughter since before you moved to the UK, that should be fine.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Oh...well, in that case, I don't know what to say...now I feel foolish.

I don't know WHY I just assumed you were living in the United States. If you were, then you wouldn't be going through any of this right now in the first place! :wacko:

Anyway, I suppose that information will be useful for you, sometime down the road a bit. Too bad it's none too helpful right now though.

I'm taking it that a "In Lieu of Guarantor" form wouldn't work out, right? I don't think those forms slow down the passport processing time at all; they might slow down the application process some though, since you actually have to obtain the form, and get it notorized by a notory public. From what I've heard, it's a real pain, but sometimes it's the only option as well. I don't know if your passport would get to you in time though... :(

Your guarantor CANNOT be retired; however he or she CAN be a relative.

Sure they can, as long as they're still active in the professional association. :thumbs:

Timeline

Okay, you're right. I didn't read the entire passage on Passport Canada. :blush:

It says the following: "Retired guarantors are not eligible unless the guarantor's name still appears on the listing provided to Passport Canada by the relevant association."

Timeline

Oh...well, in that case, I don't know what to say...now I feel foolish.

I don't know WHY I just assumed you were living in the United States. If you were, then you wouldn't be going through any of this right now in the first place! :wacko:

Anyway, I suppose that information will be useful for you, sometime down the road a bit. Too bad it's none too helpful right now though.

I'm taking it that a "In Lieu of Guarantor" form wouldn't work out, right? I don't think those forms slow down the passport processing time at all; they might slow down the application process some though, since you actually have to obtain the form, and get it notorized by a notory public. From what I've heard, it's a real pain, but sometimes it's the only option as well. I don't know if your passport would get to you in time though... :(

Don't worry about it :)

I was at the passport office last week and spoke to the supervisor about the "In Lieu of Guarantor" and the timeline for such applications and was told that if you have no guarantor, they cannot guarantee that you will even get a passport, which I think will not be the case here, but she explained that they have to check every reference (4) and do extended security checks. Because of this all bets are off regarding timeframe for getting your passport back and you cannot have it expedited.

So as far as I can see, our best option will be going with the 10 months remaining passport and hoping for the best-as if the interview isn't nerve wracking enough!!

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

I-130 for Daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.