Sunshine25

AOS K-2 checklist and a couple of questions!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I've just about finished preparing my own AOS, and I'm now working on my sons.

I wanted to make sure everything I have is correct.

AOS

G-1145

I-485

Copy of my I-864 Affidavit of Support

Copy of I-797 (my NOA2)

Copy of my marriage certificate

Copy of passport biographical page

Copy of Visa page

Copy of I-94 (front and back)

Copy of birth certificate

Copy of translation of birth certificate (my son was born in Spain)

Copy of DS-3025. Medical from London.

2 passport photos

Cheque for $635 fee.

I-765

Copy of Visa

2 passport photos

I-131

Copy of visa

2 passport photos

My questions are,

1) I've read on here that I don't fill out an I-485 for my son, but photocopy my own and put that in as he is listed in part 3b. Is that right or do I fill out his own form?

2) For the I-765 work authorization form, what do I put in question 16? I put c 9 for my form, is it the same for my son? (He's 4 years old)

3) Do I write the cheque out separately, i.e mine for $1070 and his for $635 or together?

Thanks for any help!

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My questions are,

1) I've read on here that I don't fill out an I-485 for my son, but photocopy my own and put that in as he is listed in part 3b. Is that right or do I fill out his own form?

2) For the I-765 work authorization form, what do I put in question 16? I put c 9 for my form, is it the same for my son? (He's 4 years old)

3) Do I write the cheque out separately, i.e mine for $1070 and his for $635 or together?

Thanks for any help!

1. No, you need to submit an I-485 for your son, as well. Listing him on your I-485 does nothing for him in terms of immigration status. The fee is lower for him if you submit his I-485 with yours.

2. An EAD is optional. It's something you apply for if you intend to work while waiting for your green card. There's no point in getting an EAD for a four year old child unless you need to get a Social Security number for him right away. In that case, (C)(9) would also be the correct category for your son.

3. Normally, I recommend people write two checks, one for each application. That way, if one is returned for failing to sign a form or include a required document then the other one can still be accepted and processed. However, in this case, I recommend one check for both. This necessarily means that if one application ends up being returned for any reason then the other application must also be returned - they can't partially cash a check, and they don't issue partial refunds. You would actually WANT both returned if there's anything wrong with either of them. He can't adjust status if you don't, and he can't get the discounted fee unless his I-485 is accepted at the same time as yours. You want them to accept both or neither.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

1. No, you need to submit an I-485 for your son, as well. Listing him on your I-485 does nothing for him in terms of immigration status. The fee is lower for him if you submit his I-485 with yours.

2. An EAD is optional. It's something you apply for if you intend to work while waiting for your green card. There's no point in getting an EAD for a four year old child unless you need to get a Social Security number for him right away. In that case, (C)(9) would also be the correct category for your son.

3. Normally, I recommend people write two checks, one for each application. That way, if one is returned for failing to sign a form or include a required document then the other one can still be accepted and processed. However, in this case, I recommend one check for both. This necessarily means that if one application ends up being returned for any reason then the other application must also be returned - they can't partially cash a check, and they don't issue partial refunds. You would actually WANT both returned if there's anything wrong with either of them. He can't adjust status if you don't, and he can't get the discounted fee unless his I-485 is accepted at the same time as yours. You want them to accept both or neither.

Thats what I thought! I had already filled his own I-485 out for him, but then I read something different on here.

Yes, I'd like a social security number for him, so I'll list it as c 9.

Thanks for the good advice on the checks. I'd also read on here about writing one check for both, but wanted to see what other people had done.

Thanks for your answers and I hope my checklist will help other people doing the K-2 AOS. :)

Timeline:

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I agree with Jim.

The I-765 is up to you. Your 4 y.o. son likely won't need a SSN before getting the GC. The situation was bit different for my 19 y.o. stepson. He wants to get a part time job, while going to college.

However, I did write one check for the two AOS packets that we submitted. My thinking, as mentioned, was that they would accept both petition packets or none. Since the K-2 AOS approval is dependent on the K-1AOS approval. Additionally, when preparing the various petitions, mine were basically mirror images of each other, except for the specific demographics. So if one was incorrect, the other one would also been incorrect.

YMMV

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I agree with Jim.

The I-765 is up to you. Your 4 y.o. son likely won't need a SSN before getting the GC. The situation was bit different for my 19 y.o. stepson. He wants to get a part time job, while going to college.

However, I did write one check for the two AOS packets that we submitted. My thinking, as mentioned, was that they would accept both petition packets or none. Since the K-2 AOS approval is dependent on the K-1AOS approval. Additionally, when preparing the various petitions, mine were basically mirror images of each other, except for the specific demographics. So if one was incorrect, the other one would also been incorrect.

YMMV

Good luck on your immigration journey.

I've been asked my his doctors office and his school for his SSN, it's not desperate, but I thought I'd do it now with the rest of the paperwork.

I have another question though...

On the forms I-485, I-131 and I-765, do I sign where my son should sign and put (mother) afterwards or do I sign in the place where it says 'signature of person preparing this form'? and put my details in?

Thanks for any help :)

Timeline:

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I've been asked my his doctors office and his school for his SSN, it's not desperate, but I thought I'd do it now with the rest of the paperwork.

I have another question though...

On the forms I-485, I-131 and I-765, do I sign where my son should sign and put (mother) afterwards or do I sign in the place where it says 'signature of person preparing this form'? and put my details in?

Thanks for any help :)

Good question!

Here is a similar-themed thread that I found through the use of the forum's Google custom search. Google can be your friend. :thumbs:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183514-signing-forms-for-minors/

HTH.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Good question!

Here is a similar-themed thread that I found through the use of the forum's Google custom search. Google can be your friend. :thumbs:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183514-signing-forms-for-minors/

HTH.

Thanks again :thumbs:

Timeline:

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.