Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse_Dylan

K-1 in progress--might not use it tho?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I'm really sorry for the confusing topic.

Basically, we have a K-1 almost completed, but the fact of the matter is that my fiancee has her heart set on going to school in England (where she is native). We want to finish the K-1 just in case she can't get into school there. However, I think she definitely will be able to get in, and I personally feel if she were to come here instead, she wouldn't be satisfied.

I have a few questions, and they are, or might, both be off-topic. I'm sorry about that, too. I'm not thinking particularly clearly.

First off, if I was somehow able to move to the UK, and once she was done with school we decided to go back to the US, how would we accomplish this? We would be married at this point, so could we get a K-3 visa for her to come back to the US, despite me being in the UK? Or would I have to move back to the US first and spend a year apart getting a K-3 visa? (That would be awful.)

Secondly, and this is definitely off-topic (but maybe someone can point me to where to go)--I do not currently see any way for me to move to the UK. They did at one point have a spousal visa, so I figured we could get married here, then get me a spousal visa to come to the UK. They've changed the rules now, however, and my sponsor, who could only be my wife (fiancee at the moment), would need to either make $30,000 a year (US conversion-- 18,600 pounds is the actual amount, I believe), or have $100,000 US (60,000 pounds) in savings in order to sponsor me. As she is a student, obviously she doesn't make that kind of money or have that kind of money. Is there even any way for me to get into the UK?

I feel like a wet noodle stuck to a wall at this point, totally gutted. I can't go to be with her in the UK, and I also can't ask her to give up on her school and come to be with me in the US, so it seems we'll continue being apart, which is something I don't know if either of us can tolerate.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, and once again, I'm sorry for being off-topic. I chose this just because I originally had been going for the K-1, which it now looks like we won't even need. If we were apart, she would hopefully be able to come visit me when she had breaks, and based on the fact that she was a student, hopefully they'd let her into the US without much question, even if I were her husband at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm really sorry for the confusing topic.

Basically, we have a K-1 almost completed, but the fact of the matter is that my fiancee has her heart set on going to school in England (where she is native). We want to finish the K-1 just in case she can't get into school there. However, I think she definitely will be able to get in, and I personally feel if she were to come here instead, she wouldn't be satisfied.

Was her desire to go to school in the UK discussed prior to starting the petition process? In looking at your timeline, I noticed you're still waiting for the petition to be approved, so there's still quite a bit more time between the petition being approved to when she'll go for the visa interview. When will she definitively know her school status?

I have a few questions, and they are, or might, both be off-topic. I'm sorry about that, too. I'm not thinking particularly clearly.

First off, if I was somehow able to move to the UK, and once she was done with school we decided to go back to the US, how would we accomplish this? We would be married at this point, so could we get a K-3 visa for her to come back to the US, despite me being in the UK? Or would I have to move back to the US first and spend a year apart getting a K-3 visa? (That would be awful.)

The K-3 visa is essentially obsolete. Your option would be the IR-1/CR-1 spousal visa. If you are able to legally stay in the UK, then the DCF would also be an option, but...

Secondly, and this is definitely off-topic (but maybe someone can point me to where to go)--I do not currently see any way for me to move to the UK. They did at one point have a spousal visa, so I figured we could get married here, then get me a spousal visa to come to the UK. They've changed the rules now, however, and my sponsor, who could only be my wife (fiancee at the moment), would need to either make $30,000 a year (US conversion-- 18,600 pounds is the actual amount, I believe), or have $100,000 US (60,000 pounds) in savings in order to sponsor me. As she is a student, obviously she doesn't make that kind of money or have that kind of money. Is there even any way for me to get into the UK?

...the likelihood of you being able to stay in the UK beyond a tourist visit is not likely given your fiancée's financial situation. I highly recommend reading this pinned thread in the UK forum for more information.

I feel like a wet noodle stuck to a wall at this point, totally gutted. I can't go to be with her in the UK, and I also can't ask her to give up on her school and come to be with me in the US, so it seems we'll continue being apart, which is something I don't know if either of us can tolerate.

This isn't just about you. She will need to make a decision and it seems that's where the sticking point lies from what you've written. Either she wants to go to school in the UK and be apart from you longer or the two of you proceed with the K-1 process and she can pick up schooling in the US. Is there something specific that she's studying where there isn't an equivalent in the US?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, and once again, I'm sorry for being off-topic. I chose this just because I originally had been going for the K-1, which it now looks like we won't even need. If we were apart, she would hopefully be able to come visit me when she had breaks, and based on the fact that she was a student, hopefully they'd let her into the US without much question, even if I were her husband at the time.

Regardless, if the decision is made to be apart while she goes to school, she should still plan on bringing plenty of proof that she will return to the UK. Plus, the fact that you've filed a K-1 shows there is some intent to move to the U.S., so she'll need to be completely upfront with customs if they ask beyond the cursory questions.


Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012



Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It was always her intent to go to school in the UK, but we were unsure about the timetable. I just naively assumed things would work out. I thought maybe we'd live here a year or three, then move to the UK together. She's not studying anything in particular that she can't study here, but she wants to go to a particular school in England. She's taking some resits in January, but I'm sure she'll be able to get into her school.

Our K-1 at the moment--we just recently sent back to the US Embassy in London the paperwork they requested. She needs to do her medical exam now, then the interview. She's planning to come to the US again in February or March. If she wants to go to school in England, she won't stay (in which case we wouldn't need the K-1 visa anyway).

If she goes to school in England, and we're apart for that time, I figure we'll go through the visa process again a year or so before she plans to come to the US. If the laws change, I'll move to England in the meantime, and then we'll either stay there or come back to the US together.

So complicated! Sorry. :(

And yes, if she couldn't come visit while she's going to school, that would be pretty bad. I've been to England four times now (in the last <365 days!), but I've just started a new job, and they're not able to be as flexible. I can't just take two weeks off at a time and go to England, so I don't know when/if I'd be able to visit her.

I think once she gets results back from her resits, she'll know her school status. I'm not sure when she'd know if she was accepted. If she wasn't accepted at her school, I think she'd probably want to just come here instead (or at least it would be a possibility). I don't see any reason she wouldn't be accepted, though, really.

Hopefully that answers everything. I will take a look at the link you gave me, and I'll also research the other visas you mentioned! Thanks very much for the reply.

I wish she'd see how much simpler and more practical it would be for her to come here and go to school here, but I don't want her to resent it for the rest of her life or be unhappy. I have to accept her desire to go to the school of her choice. We're both miserable apart, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your situation isn't really that complicated. It comes down to what your fiancée wants to do and when -- either go to the school of her choice or move forward with the K-1 visa, which would mean moving (and going to school) in the US sooner.

The former will include much more time apart than the latter, of course. I do think the waffling about on what to do should have been decided far earlier, however, but that's between you and she. However, one other implication to investigate is if the K-1 is issued and she arrives in the US, but then leaves, she will definitely have a harder time getting back in for a visit without another visa. I believe the VWP option goes away post-K-1, so whatever decision is made should be done before the K-1 is issued. Otherwise, you will be the one having to travel to the UK until she's ready to re-enter the US on a spousal visa.

Also, update your timeline to show where you are in the process. That's why I thought you were still waiting for the petition to be approved. :yes:


Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012



Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can ask for a delay at London and not get the visa until she makes up her mind. Hold off on the medical exam and interview. No sense spending another $700 to get a visa good for 90 days. Probably not wise to marry in the 90 days if she's going to leave for 3-4 years. She needs to be a Uni student if that's what she chooses and not a long distance wife. People change during those times and don't always want the same things by the end. Make the marriage decision when she is 100% sure she wants to move immediately to the US.

You are correct about moving to the UK. You understand the new rules and don't qualify.


England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I suppose I was thinking that using the visa for 90 days might be our last chance to see each other if they really won't let her into the country anymore. But obviously what I'd prefer is if she were able to visit me in the US whenever she has a break at school.

Do I just e-mail them to ask for a delay? With visa or without, she wants to come for 88 days (or whatever) in February or March. The original plan way back when, was that she'd come in June 2012 and stay until August 2013, but we obviously found out quickly that that's simply not how things work. If we could find some way for her to stay here from March until August 2013, we'd do it, but I don't think there is any way.

I did also think that if the laws change and I can move to the UK (like if they go back to the previous scheme for spouses), being married would make that easier. Maybe that's just an excuse since we really, really want to be married. Even if we only saw each other for two weeks twice a year (hopefully that won't be the case), I'd like to be married to her. So unless there's some kind of reason not to be married, like it would make it harder to visit each other, I would like to be married. But maybe we'll decide to hold off, like you said.

This whole thing has been the biggest challenge of my life. I doubt many people (especially between the US and the UK) actually fall in love on purpose, but it happens, and maybe once in a while, for two really special, lucky people, it happens really powerfully. I know lovestruck people often say things like this and talk about how being apart from their love is miserable. She's the love of my life, though. No one falls in love with someone 4000 miles away on purpose, but when it happens, you don't just throw it away either.

Just ranting at this point. :) Sorry. It's been a really hard day, a really hard couple of days actually. She was here from June 28 until September 24, and then we went back to England together, and I returned to the US alone October 10.

Edited by Jesse_Dylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I was thinking that using the visa for 90 days might be our last chance to see each other if they really won't let her into the country anymore. But obviously what I'd prefer is if she were able to visit me in the US whenever she has a break at school.

Do I just e-mail them to ask for a delay? With visa or without, she wants to come for 88 days (or whatever) in February or March. The original plan way back when, was that she'd come in June 2012 and stay until August 2013, but we obviously found out quickly that that's simply not how things work. If we could find some way for her to stay here from March until August 2013, we'd do it, but I don't think there is any way.

There is a way for that to work...proceed with the K-1 visa as planned where she'll move to the US with the intention of staying for the long-term. Do not use the K-1 visa as a "see each other" visa. If all that is left is the medical exam, then do as Nich-Nick says and contact the Embassy to ask for a delay as soon as possible.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012



Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...