notmuch88tosay

Chinese Marriage Visa Terms and Definitions

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I find I am asking people like Darnell the same questions two or three times, then I forget what they told me a couple weeks later and I do it all over and ask them the same questions again.

The reason being, this Visa terminology is a new language to me; it's like learning Mandarin all over again. So to help the newbies like myself and prevent Darnell from losing his mind or beating a Peiking Duck to death, how about some of you add to (and/or correct) my list of terms needing definitions below?

(You can just copy and paste the list in it's entirety and add to it or something)

Thanks,

notmuch88tosay

[important Definitions]:

Hukou: every Chinese citizen has a Hukou book, a little brownish book that binds a person to an address. Usually in that little Hukou book, it lists one more persons who live in a particular address. Your wife has her Hukou book, and the address on it, is the "Hukou city".

Notarial Document: Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Household Book (Re: Birth Certificate): Tell your fiancee to bring her household book to the notary office called ‘Gong Zheng Chu’. that place will create a Birth Certificate for you and translate it into English.

White book: Every official document in Chinese, you have to get a ‘certified translation’ in English. There are ‘authorized translation agencies’ in China in almost every major city. The ‘certified translation’ they make, is the "white book". It has a white cover, and the translations inside.

A "white book" is not a notarial translation. It is legal certificate (both in Chinese and English) to prove your fiancée’s marital status, criminal history and birth.

White books contain: *certified copy of original document * notarial translation of original document * translators translation statement

While USCIS may accept a self translation or even an 'official' translation from the US. Guangzhou is usually (always?) insistent on getting the official Chinese notarization in the form of 'white books'. When it comes to the interview, make sure you have the 'white books'.

Hukuo City: Usually in the Hukou book, it lists one more persons who live in a particular address. Your wife has her Hukou book, and the address on it, is the "Hukou city".

County Seat: You will marry your fiancée not necessarily in her Hukuo city but in the "marriage office" that services that city, usually the "County Seat".

Certificate of Marriageability: Same as “Affidavit of Marriageability” below…

Affidavit of Marriageability (Single Statement): A notarized 'Affidavit of Marriageability' is also referred to as a 'Single Statement'. This affidavit is available at the Consulate and is a sworn statement or affirmation that you are legally free to marry. You must make an appointment for notarial services.

https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=GUZ&appcode=1

Complete the Marriageability Affidavit form but don't sign it until you arrive for the notarial services.

Affidavit of Single Status: The visit to the U.S. Embassy, will be for the "affadavit of single status", only. THEN - once you have that, take it to the ‘marriage office’ where you two will get married, and show it to them, ASK if it needs to be translated into CHINESE. Usually it does, so ask them WHICH OFFICE they will accept a translation from, then go to that office, and get the translation from english into Chinese, then get married. Figure 1 to 2 days for marriage office/translation office work, be certain to pay for any expedite.

Marriage Office: The place where you get married. In China - to Get Married --The 'Right' Marriage Office is the Marriage Office in the district or city where her Hukuo is registered.

Marriage Bureau: To be officially married in China, you and your fiancée will have to go to a marriage bureau and register and then be issued the marriage certificate. It does not matter what takes place first, registering at the marriage bureau or having the ceremony. Prior to making the trip, the petitioner will need an affidavit of single status.

Chinese ‘Civil Affairs Office’ (民政局 Min Zheng Ju): Where you go to register your marriage. All marriages in China must be registered with the Chinese Civil Affairs Office within the city or town where your fiancé is registered. Persons planning to marry should visit or call the appropriate office for complete details on registering your marriage. Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place.

Notarial Translation: Original marriage certificates come in a little red book. In addition to the little red book, you also need the notarial translation in the white book. Bring your red original marriage certificate to a notary office in China to get a notarized certificate of marriage (a "white book").

Guangzhou only accepts these "white books" but do bring all original certificates to her interview. VO may check them.

1. get a certificate of marriageability showing status, at a US Embassy/Consulate in China. Need appointment, so hit up the website, make an appointment. Bring 50 bucks USD.

2. [hukuo city] go to the marriage office in the civil affairs office, ask them WHERE TO GO for notarial translation into Chinese.

3. [hukuo city] get the chinese notarial translation of your certificate of marriageability

4. [hukuo city] go back to the marriage office, with passport and thing gotten in #3. Pay monies, register marriage.

Notary Public: There are authorized translation agencies in China in almost every major city. The certified translation they make, is the "white book". It has a white cover, and the translations inside. Just go to the notary public and they will give you the necessary information to get your required documents. if you dont know what hokou is, your fiance can explain it. this is a opportunity to familiarize yourself with the notary public.

Notary Office: Bring your red original marriage certificate to a notary office in China to get a notarized certificate of marriage (a "white book").

Do not go to an alternative notary service, as there are many of them out there. Unfortunately not all services are created equal in the eyes of the Chinese government - thus, not all are qualified for foreign affairs. You're looking for at least a city level notary.

District Office: After you file the I-130, you wait a bit. When the case file gets to NVC, she needs more white books, specifically her birth certificate and police clearance certificate (gotten at the hukuo city or the big district office ).

Hukuo-Listed Members: When getting the chinese marriage book translated into English, a notarial translation , find out how they handle that stuff from hukuo-listed members, as she's probably not going to be in that hukuo city when it's time to collect the documents. DO NOT GET THE PCC when you are in her hukuo city, as it will expire by the time you need it at NVC.

“Register your marriage…”: You will register your marriage in the Chinese Civil Affairs Office (Min Zheng Ju). Not just any Civil Affairs Office, it has to be the provincial one for marriage to a foreigner, city level civil affairs office will not take you. But you still need to pay a visit to the US Embassy or Consulate, to get your Marriageability Affidavit.

After your marriage is registered, you may file an immigrant visa petition on behalf of your spouse. If you do not have a long-term Chinese residence permit, you must file a petition at your local USCIS office when you return to the United States.

The place where you register for marriage would also take a photo of you 2 together, for you, right there. So you don't need to bring photos.

Local Marriage Registration Office: Questions regarding what documents the Chinese partner must submit should be directed to the “Local Marriage Registration Office” (Hun Yin Deng Ji Chu - (婚姻登记处).

Provincial Capital: Registering for marriage in China is a relatively simple process, once you have the required documentation in hand. The registration process will only be done at the marriage bureau that has jurisdiction over her hukou, she will need to find out where the bureau of jurisdiction is located. Another thing, my wife and I registered at the marriage bureau located in the Provincial Capital, even though there may have been a marriage bureau closer to her hometown.

I also noticed that while we were waiting our turn, I noticed other Chinese/foreign couples in the same office for the same purpose. I'm surmising that this was the only marriage bureau of jurisdiction for my wife's household registration that would register a marriage where one of the parties was a foreigner.

Chinese ‘Marriage Book’: * [hukuo city] get the chinese marriage book translated into English, a notarial translation (white book) at the office listed here: white books - http://www.visajourn...th-certificate/ do that before you leave China.

* scan the entire white book into a pdf file, email it to yerself, you'll need it later . Do that before you leave China . * Scan her passport and china id into pdf files, email it to yerself. Do that before you leave China .

Marriage Certificate (Red Book): A Chinese Marriage Certificate is not a piece of paper, it's a little passport type book. You obviously will NOT want to send the little book with your I-130 so you will need the Notary Office translation. Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place.

Get the marriage certificate translated at the GongZhengShu (公证书). That is what Guangzhou is going to want. I would get at least 2-3 copies.

Form I-130, Form G-325a, Form G-1145, Form OF-169, Form OF-230 part one, Form I-864

Certificate of Naturalization: A photocopy of ‘naturalization certificate’ is fine now, the rules have changed. Don't send originals of such important documents.

Proof of Permanent Residency: People who are granted permanent residency in a country are usually issued some sort of documentary evidence as legal proof of this status. In the past, many countries merely stamped the person's passport indicating that the holder was admitted as a permanent resident or that he/she was exempt from immigration control and permitted to work without restriction. Other countries would issue a photo ID card, place a visa sticker or certificate of residence in the person's passport, or issue a letter to confirm their permanent resident status.

Petitioner / Beneficiary: The Petitioner is the one petitioning for the immigrant spouse or fiancee (Beneficiary). The Beneficiary is the one receiving the benefit of entering the United States for residency.

Chinese Consulate / Chinese Embassy: If you will be getting married in China, you will need an Affidavit of Single Status before you and your fiancee will be able to register at the marriage bureau. There are two ways you can go about getting this, visit the US Embassy or one of the Consulates and they will provide you with one or you can obtain it stateside by following the instructions of the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for the state that you reside in.

U.S. Consulate in China / U.S. Embassy in China: You can obtain the "Certificate of Marriageability" at a U.S. Consulate in China.

Edited by Captain Ewok
updated from future post...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is a great idea for you to fill in the blanks on the terms. :thumbs: Just use the forum's google search function to find the appropriate threads.Then forum administration could be contacted about putting it in a forum stickie.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

It is a great idea for you to fill in the blanks on the terms. :thumbs: Just use the forum's google search function to find the appropriate threads.Then forum administration could be contacted about putting it in a forum stickie.

ditto :thumbs:

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Timeline

Thanks for your reply A&B and unlockingsky,

I will do so as soon as I can find the time. I think maybe some definitions also might be found at wikipedia.org

Won't know unless I go there and have a looksy. I am determined to save as many Peiking Ducks as I can, so I will.

notmuch88tosay

Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Aaahhh, you provide the path to the top of the mountain where the great master of Chinese knowledge awaits those who seek to know with a thirst of great hunger for the truth.

Thanks,

notmuch88tosay

Timeline

the master can be bribed ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

So I finished this list last night at 12 midnight as my fiancee and her sister insisted on taking me on a crazy Chinese sightseeing tour during the day up a steep as hell mountain in bus where the sister was carsick and trying not to barf, my fiancee was laughing at her and I thought we were all going to die every 45 seconds at every turn. So anyway, here is the list...

Any mistakes, edits needed or additions needed, please let me know.

[important Definitions]:

Hukou: every Chinese citizen has a Hukou book, a little brownish book that binds a person to an address. Usually in that little Hukou book, it lists one more persons who live in a particular address. Your wife has her Hukou book, and the address on it, is the "Hukou city".

Notarial Document: Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Household Book (Re: Birth Certificate): Tell your fiancee to bring her household book to the notary office called ‘Gong Zheng Chu’. that place will create a Birth Certificate for you and translate it into English.

White book: Every official document in Chinese, you have to get a ‘certified translation’ in English. There are ‘authorized translation agencies’ in China in almost every major city. The ‘certified translation’ they make, is the "white book". It has a white cover, and the translations inside.

A "white book" is not a notarial translation. It is legal certificate (both in Chinese and English) to prove your fiancée’s marital status, criminal history and birth.

White books contain: *certified copy of original document * notarial translation of original document * translators translation statement

While USCIS may accept a self translation or even an 'official' translation from the US. Guangzhou is usually (always?) insistent on getting the official Chinese notarization in the form of 'white books'. When it comes to the interview, make sure you have the 'white books'.

Hukuo City: Usually in the Hukou book, it lists one more persons who live in a particular address. Your wife has her Hukou book, and the address on it, is the "Hukou city".

County Seat: You will marry your fiancée not necessarily in her Hukuo city but in the "marriage office" that services that city, usually the "County Seat".

Certificate of Marriageability: Same as “Affidavit of Marriageability” below…

Affidavit of Marriageability (Single Statement): A notarized 'Affidavit of Marriageability' is also referred to as a 'Single Statement'. This affidavit is available at the Consulate and is a sworn statement or affirmation that you are legally free to marry. You must make an appointment for notarial services.

https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=GUZ&appcode=1

Complete the Marriageability Affidavit form but don't sign it until you arrive for the notarial services.

Affidavit of Single Status: The visit to the U.S. Embassy, will be for the "affadavit of single status", only. THEN - once you have that, take it to the ‘marriage office’ where you two will get married, and show it to them, ASK if it needs to be translated into CHINESE. Usually it does, so ask them WHICH OFFICE they will accept a translation from, then go to that office, and get the translation from english into Chinese, then get married. Figure 1 to 2 days for marriage office/translation office work, be certain to pay for any expedite.

Marriage Office: The place where you get married. In China - to Get Married --The 'Right' Marriage Office is the Marriage Office in the district or city where her Hukuo is registered.

Marriage Bureau: To be officially married in China, you and your fiancée will have to go to a marriage bureau and register and then be issued the marriage certificate. It does not matter what takes place first, registering at the marriage bureau or having the ceremony. Prior to making the trip, the petitioner will need an affidavit of single status.

Chinese ‘Civil Affairs Office’ (民政局 Min Zheng Ju): Where you go to register your marriage. All marriages in China must be registered with the Chinese Civil Affairs Office within the city or town where your fiancé is registered. Persons planning to marry should visit or call the appropriate office for complete details on registering your marriage. Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place.

Notarial Translation: Original marriage certificates come in a little red book. In addition to the little red book, you also need the notarial translation in the white book. Bring your red original marriage certificate to a notary office in China to get a notarized certificate of marriage (a "white book").

Guangzhou only accepts these "white books" but do bring all original certificates to her interview. VO may check them.

1. get a certificate of marriageability showing status, at a US Embassy/Consulate in China. Need appointment, so hit up the website, make an appointment. Bring 50 bucks USD.

2. [hukuo city] go to the marriage office in the civil affairs office, ask them WHERE TO GO for notarial translation into Chinese.

3. [hukuo city] get the chinese notarial translation of your certificate of marriageability

4. [hukuo city] go back to the marriage office, with passport and thing gotten in #3. Pay monies, register marriage.

Notary Public: There are authorized translation agencies in China in almost every major city. The certified translation they make, is the "white book". It has a white cover, and the translations inside. Just go to the notary public and they will give you the necessary information to get your required documents. if you dont know what hokou is, your fiance can explain it. this is a opportunity to familiarize yourself with the notary public.

Notary Office: Bring your red original marriage certificate to a notary office in China to get a notarized certificate of marriage (a "white book").

Do not go to an alternative notary service, as there are many of them out there. Unfortunately not all services are created equal in the eyes of the Chinese government - thus, not all are qualified for foreign affairs. You're looking for at least a city level notary.

District Office: After you file the I-130, you wait a bit. When the case file gets to NVC, she needs more white books, specifically her birth certificate and police clearance certificate (gotten at the hukuo city or the big district office ).

Hukuo-Listed Members: When getting the chinese marriage book translated into English, a notarial translation , find out how they handle that stuff from hukuo-listed members, as she's probably not going to be in that hukuo city when it's time to collect the documents. DO NOT GET THE PCC when you are in her hukuo city, as it will expire by the time you need it at NVC.

“Register your marriage…”: You will register your marriage in the Chinese Civil Affairs Office (Min Zheng Ju). Not just any Civil Affairs Office, it has to be the provincial one for marriage to a foreigner, city level civil affairs office will not take you. But you still need to pay a visit to the US Embassy or Consulate, to get your Marriageability Affidavit.

After your marriage is registered, you may file an immigrant visa petition on behalf of your spouse. If you do not have a long-term Chinese residence permit, you must file a petition at your local USCIS office when you return to the United States.

The place where you register for marriage would also take a photo of you 2 together, for you, right there. So you don't need to bring photos.

Local Marriage Registration Office: Questions regarding what documents the Chinese partner must submit should be directed to the “Local Marriage Registration Office” (Hun Yin Deng Ji Chu - (婚姻登记处).

Provincial Capital: Registering for marriage in China is a relatively simple process, once you have the required documentation in hand. The registration process will only be done at the marriage bureau that has jurisdiction over her hukou, she will need to find out where the bureau of jurisdiction is located. Another thing, my wife and I registered at the marriage bureau located in the Provincial Capital, even though there may have been a marriage bureau closer to her hometown.

I also noticed that while we were waiting our turn, I noticed other Chinese/foreign couples in the same office for the same purpose. I'm surmising that this was the only marriage bureau of jurisdiction for my wife's household registration that would register a marriage where one of the parties was a foreigner.

Chinese ‘Marriage Book’: * [hukuo city] get the chinese marriage book translated into English, a notarial translation (white book) at the office listed here: white books - http://www.visajourn...th-certificate/ do that before you leave China.

* scan the entire white book into a pdf file, email it to yerself, you'll need it later . Do that before you leave China . * Scan her passport and china id into pdf files, email it to yerself. Do that before you leave China .

Marriage Certificate (Red Book): A Chinese Marriage Certificate is not a piece of paper, it's a little passport type book. You obviously will NOT want to send the little book with your I-130 so you will need the Notary Office translation. Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place.

Get the marriage certificate translated at the GongZhengShu (公证书). That is what Guangzhou is going to want. I would get at least 2-3 copies.

Form I-130, Form G-325a, Form G-1145, Form OF-169, Form OF-230 part one, Form I-864

Certificate of Naturalization: A photocopy of ‘naturalization certificate’ is fine now, the rules have changed. Don't send originals of such important documents.

Proof of Permanent Residency: People who are granted permanent residency in a country are usually issued some sort of documentary evidence as legal proof of this status. In the past, many countries merely stamped the person's passport indicating that the holder was admitted as a permanent resident or that he/she was exempt from immigration control and permitted to work without restriction. Other countries would issue a photo ID card, place a visa sticker or certificate of residence in the person's passport, or issue a letter to confirm their permanent resident status.

Petitioner / Beneficiary: The Petitioner is the one petitioning for the immigrant spouse or fiancee (Beneficiary). The Beneficiary is the one receiving the benefit of entering the United States for residency.

Chinese Consulate / Chinese Embassy: If you will be getting married in China, you will need an Affidavit of Single Status before you and your fiancee will be able to register at the marriage bureau. There are two ways you can go about getting this, visit the US Embassy or one of the Consulates and they will provide you with one or you can obtain it stateside by following the instructions of the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for the state that you reside in.

U.S. Consulate in China / U.S. Embassy in China: You can obtain the "Certificate of Marriageability" at a U.S. Consulate in China.

Edited by notmuch88tosay

Timeline

seems complete. Yay.

vomiting sisters can be fun, if you can help to aim the spew to those staring PRC people ;)

Timeline

Hi Darnell,

Thanks for looking over my list for errors or editing needed.

I can now clearly attest that I have saved the Peiking Ducks in China from the violent fate that awaited them all.

By the way, my fiancee finally did tell me what her hokuo city is. So now how do I find out the address of the Marriage Office we need to go to?

notmuch88tosay

Edited by notmuch88tosay

• 10 months later...
Timeline

US Consulate, IV Unit, FAQs section, old version:

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.htm

I note this isn't clickable or findable anymore from the newly redesigned IV page.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thread closed to additional discussion; pinned topics are meant for information and not general Q & A. If you have a question, please start your own thread.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.