vic23

How to Put Together Affidavits?

5 posts in this topic

I was finally able to report the birth abroad of my daughter (took less than a month!) and am now starting the DCF paper work for my wife. One of the requirements is an affidavit from people who know us. Does anyone know if this has to go through a "notario" (notarized) in Peru? And does this also have to be translated by an official translator into English? Also what is the wording that should be used? Or an example? An extra question, once the paperwork goes through, what does the DCF filing provide for my wife? Does she get a green card or citizenship? Thank you for all your help! I don't know where I would be if it weren't for the help of all the great people in this forum!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I was finally able to report the birth abroad of my daughter (took less than a month!) and am now starting the DCF paper work for my wife. One of the requirements is an affidavit from people who know us. Does anyone know if this has to go through a "notario" (notarized) in Peru? And does this also have to be translated by an official translator into English? Also what is the wording that should be used? Or an example? An extra question, once the paperwork goes through, what does the DCF filing provide for my wife? Does she get a green card or citizenship? Thank you for all your help! I don't know where I would be if it weren't for the help of all the great people in this forum!

Affidavits: I-130 instructions do not say notarization is required. It is not, unless the consulate in Lima specifically asks for it in their instructions.

Official translations: no. Look at the USCIS website and you'll see that only a competent translator is needed (I did all of ours myself), but you do have to include a specific statement at the bottom of the translation. See here

The wording on affidavits is whatever the author wants it to be. They should include how they know your relationship, the nature of their firsthand knowledge, and some details that would lend authenticity to the letter. They should be short. I'm sure there are examples on VJ if you do a search.

DCF filing is for a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, which grants the holder legal permanent residency ("green card") upon entry into the US. Naturalization can be completed with three years of permanent residency and marriage to a USC.

This is a helpful post by a lawyer on how to assemble affidavits for immigration purposes:

http://www.goldengateimmigration.com/2012/04/nine-essential-elements-of-a-character-reference-letter/

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

• 1 month later...

GlobeHopperMama, that link was SO HELPFUL in putting together our affidavits. Thank you very much, we really appreciate it!

Edited by Nieuwoudt

IR-1/CR-1 for permanent residency, DCF Seoul

04-30-2011: Married in the USA!!

11-09-2012: I-130 filed in person at the Seoul consulate ($420)

• 1 month later...

This is probably too late to help you, but I just thought I would comment. My husband and I recently did a DCF in Lima and we did not include any affidavits. Basically, they are just looking for proof that your relationship is authentic. We have a little eight month old girl together and I have been living in Peru for the last 3 years. Both of those are pretty convincing proof that our relationship is authentic. They accepted the I-130 without questions asked and the woman at the window even told us that having a child together was pretty much what would prove our relationship. Now, since you have a child together, I'm guessing that the affidavits would add some evidence, but aren't really necessary for getting the petition approved. And since you can attend the visa interview with your wife, then you can always answer any questions concerning your relationship right there in the interview.

6/20/2009 - Married

3/28/2012 - Daughter born

10/30/2012 - Filed for CRBA and US passport for daughter in Lima embassy

10/30/2012 - CRBA and US passport for daughter approved

10/30/2012 - Filed I-130 petition in Lima USCIS field office

10/31/2012 - I-130 petition approved

11/13/2012 - NOA2 w/ case number received

11/25/2012 - CRBA and US passport for daughter in hand

11/20/2012 - Packet 3 and interview appointment received

12/04/2012 - Medical appointment

12/06/2012 - Interview appointment. Yellow paper received

12/14/2012 - Additional documents sent

12/17/2012 - Additional documents arrived at embassy

12/19/2012 - Visa approved

12/22/2012 - Visa arrives at DHL office in Arequipa

01/07/2013 - Visa in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.