dleeg

Travel Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone

We want to buy tickets for Colombia for Christmas. Will buy today or this weekend. Should my wife use her name on her passport or her married name on her green card? I thought someone here would know from experience.

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone

We want to buy tickets for Colombia for Christmas. Will buy today or this weekend. Should my wife use her name on her passport or her married name on her green card? I thought someone here would know from experience.

Thanks for your help!

You must use your legal name that is on your passport for your ticket. IF the name on the passport is not the legal name you need to get it changed asap. I know from experience. :)

Totally Agree

You must use your legal name that is on your passport for your ticket. IF the name on the passport is not the legal name you need to get it changed asap. I know from experience. :)

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

The legal name that is recognized in her home country is on her passport. It is also valid here. Until she has a US passport, this is the only name she should ever use for anything international.

The suggestion to just change your name in another country is a uneducated. It is not allowed in all places. When I get citizenship in Perú in the future, the "formula" for a person's name is set by law and is not necessarily related to my name here in the US.

Example: Sarah Smith Richardson here in the US could change to Sarah Elizabeth Smith Jones de Richardson in Perú. It is probably similar in Colombia. (The name formula is from the birth and marriage certificates.)

Not every country or culture changes the name upon marriage.

Moreover, if she does get US citizenship while still maintaining her Colombian citizenship, when she enters each country, she needs to use that passport--Colombian to enter Colombia and US to enter here.

Suggestion: Don't be stupid about name changes. If you plan to do it, make it sensible. I work in a very busy ER with a HUGE volume of non-citizens and the name game is a nightmare.

• "Hello, Ms Richardson?" (no answer)
  • "Ms Sarah Richardson?" (Still no answer)
  • (Scanning the crowd for someone with the injury that matches what you are planning to take care of) "Excuse me, are you Ms. Sarah Richardson?"
  • "Ummm...oh yeah. hahaha...I been married 5 year and no remember husband name...hahaha"
  • "Please state your name and birthday so that I can verify the information." (This is required and non-negotiable.)
  • "Sarah Elizabeth."
  • "Sarah Elizabeth? What is your name on your ID?"
  • (Sarah hands the document to me--this always is suspicious for identity theft/fraud. Seriously...you can't remember your own damned name????) "No, you need to verbally verify your information."
  • "Oh..." (The "sarah" looks down at her hospital wristband and reads it to me. I sigh deeply and take her with me for care.)

It is a real nightmare when the person is very injured or comes in with other ambulances and there are little kids involved that are separated from their parents. Privacy is a federal issue and in a big ER when you or your family is hurting, you don't want your silliness with your name-change at marriage to separate you or slow you down at all. Be practical.

I took both my husband's last names so that my official name here and my official name there will be very similar and hopefully no problems ever when the nitty gets gritty.

(BTW--some people confess to me every week that they are using false ID and just want whatever taken care of. I think every patient is fingerprinted -- a federal requirement for their databases, maybe.)

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Use the name she has on her passport, which is the name the airlines will check before boarding.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help!

My wife has been back to Colombia twice since arriving here almost two years ago. Both times she used her Green Card name which is her married American name, not her native Colombian name. She has never had an issue either in Colombia or America. The only thing ever said to her was at the end of July this year when whe was returning from her last trip to Colombia. The immigration officer reminded her that she would need to file her "next set of paperwork" (her I-751) very soon. If you are nervous use the passport name but in our case it has really never been an issue.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.