neodragon0l

Proof of Genuine Engagement

14 posts in this topic

Hey VJ'rs, I am officially done with the I-134. It is an overkill preparation. Here is a background on my initial application I-129F that was filed on 06/14. To make the story short, I front loaded. I sent a ton of pictures (48 pictures to be exact)and any receipts, boarding passes, and itineraries relating to us meeting in person in 12/2010 and 04/2012. We scheduled an interview on 10/25/2012 and medical appointment on 10/16/2012.Thank you again for your patience in answering my question.

Concern #1: Do we need to write another letter of intent with a more recent date? A letter of intent was already included in the application dated 06/01/2012.

Concern #2: Yahoo Chats - What else should I include to provide proof of genuine engagement? I am about to print out some of our chats. I will restrain myself and keep it to a couple of days per month. Is that enough? Do I have to print all the way back to when we first met online (2008)? At the time of the application (06/2012)? or After NOA2 (dated 09/18/2012)?

Concern #3: Phone Records - About a year ago, I started to subscribe to DUO International, phone service that allows me to talk to my fiancee everyday. If proof they want, we talk like hours. How do I document this as evidence? I still have the proof of monthly subscription. and of course my phone bills that enumerate the number of times I call that number. Because of this subscription, emails and yahoo chats have decreased drastically.

Concern #4: Remittance - I do send remittances once in a while to my fiancee through Xoom. I am still on the fence whether this type of evidence is actually helpful to the genuine engagement. There are stories that can be misconstrued as something else.

Concern #5: Photographs - I submitted 48 pictures. Should I tell my fiancee to bring more?

Concern #6: Letters & Cards - When I did feel like it, I do send her letters, it is not a lot. I plan to just make copies of those letters. Should I include the a photocopy of the envelope???

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey VJ'rs, I am officially done with the I-134. It is an overkill preparation. Here is a background on my initial application I-129F that was filed on 06/14. To make the story short, I front loaded. I sent a ton of pictures (48 pictures to be exact)and any receipts, boarding passes, and itineraries relating to us meeting in person in 12/2010 and 04/2012. We scheduled an interview on 10/25/2012 and medical appointment on 10/16/2012.Thank you again for your patience in answering my question.

Concern #1: Do we need to write another letter of intent with a more recent date? A letter of intent was already included in the application dated 06/01/2012.

Concern #2: Yahoo Chats - What else should I include to provide proof of genuine engagement? I am about to print out some of our chats. I will restrain myself and keep it to a couple of days per month. Is that enough? Do I have to print all the way back to when we first met online (2008)? At the time of the application (06/2012)? or After NOA2 (dated 09/18/2012)?

Concern #3: Phone Records - About a year ago, I started to subscribe to DUO International, phone service that allows me to talk to my fiancee everyday. If proof they want, we talk like hours. How do I document this as evidence? I still have the proof of monthly subscription. and of course my phone bills that enumerate the number of times I call that number. Because of this subscription, emails and yahoo chats have decreased drastically.

Concern #4: Remittance - I do send remittances once in a while to my fiancee through Xoom. I am still on the fence whether this type of evidence is actually helpful to the genuine engagement. There are stories that can be misconstrued as something else.

Concern #5: Photographs - I submitted 48 pictures. Should I tell my fiancee to bring more?

Concern #6: Letters & Cards - When I did feel like it, I do send her letters, it is not a lot. I plan to just make copies of those letters. Should I include the a photocopy of the envelope???

Uh, I am sure you are way overthinking all of this. If your relationship is real, the embassy is not going to pose a problem. The interviewer is not going to read emails. They aren't going to read letters and cards. They might look at photos, glance at phone records. Mainly they are going to talk to your fiance and ask about your relationship. That's what I've heard over the last 8 months. So I think the proof you mention is more than enough - a waste of paper really. I am sure it'll be fine - bring photos of you together or with her family - that's the best proof I think. I've read so many interview experiences and often the interviewer doesn't look at any proof - but if they do then photos are usually the proof they look at. :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make sure you sent an updated letter of intent from you that you will marry your fiancee in 90 days upon her arrival.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

^^^ Yes. You each need an updated letter of intent

^^^ Include the first couple of pages of two chats per month, starting in June 2012.

^^^ If the phone bills show that you called her phone number, then include them. If her phone number is not itemized on the bills, then the bills are not of much use as evidence.

^^^ Include proof of remittances.

^^^ Yes. They like to look at photos.

^^^ She should take the originals of both her letters and your letters.

^^^ You're list of proof of a bona fide relationship is missing one thing...your attendance at the interview!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make sure you sent an updated letter of intent from you that you will marry your fiancee in 90 days upon her arrival.

That's a good idea. But I used the original letter of intent dated Feb 28 in our interview Oct 1 and it was ok. Still, good idea - might as well do that.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think front loading is a joke, especially for the Philippines.

Who is going to look at 48 pictures? I submitted 4 with the 129 and my wife brought 4-6 to the interview which the FO looked at a couple and that was it. As suggested only print a couple pages of your chat log for each month and only for the past year, as for remittances I don't know what they prove and we didn't prove any. Letters of intent to marry, I read on here continually to submit new ones, the embassy requirements state they want clear intent to marry within 90 days (but these are beneficiary requirements), we did new letters of intent and we still have them in a folder somewhere, the DS-156K has the intent to marry statement in it and the beneficiary is required to sign it in front of the CO.

When in doubt read the embassy letter with requirements: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/public/Revised%20K1%20Instruction%20Packet%20_3__rtf2_005.pdf

As long as your fiancee knows you and about you then all will be fine. Oh and make sure she knows your mother's maiden name as they ask that at CFO.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Uh, I am sure you are way overthinking all of this. If your relationship is real, the embassy is not going to pose a problem. The interviewer is not going to read emails. They aren't going to read letters and cards. They might look at photos, glance at phone records. Mainly they are going to talk to your fiance and ask about your relationship. That's what I've heard over the last 8 months. So I think the proof you mention is more than enough - a waste of paper really. I am sure it'll be fine - bring photos of you together or with her family - that's the best proof I think. I've read so many interview experiences and often the interviewer doesn't look at any proof - but if they do then photos are usually the proof they look at. :yes:

Yeah, I may be over thinking this process a little bit and our relationship definitely is real, so I guess the proof is in the pudding. :yes:

1/18/2013 - Married

^^^ You're list of proof of a bona fide relationship is missing one thing...your attendance at the interview!!!

Thanks Tahoma! I just visited her this past April for a month so I ran out of vacation time. If I had a chance, I actually would. Waiting in line during the NBI Clearance is like waiting in line for a roller coaster ride. Most of the fun is just waiting with her and make have the most random conversations ever. :bonk:

Edited by neodragon0l

1/18/2013 - Married

I think front loading is a joke, especially for the Philippines.

Who is going to look at 48 pictures? I submitted 4 with the 129 and my wife brought 4-6 to the interview which the FO looked at a couple and that was it. As suggested only print a couple pages of your chat log for each month and only for the past year, as for remittances I don't know what they prove and we didn't prove any. Letters of intent to marry, I read on here continually to submit new ones, the embassy requirements state they want clear intent to marry within 90 days (but these are beneficiary requirements), we did new letters of intent and we still have them in a folder somewhere, the DS-156K has the intent to marry statement in it and the beneficiary is required to sign it in front of the CO.

When in doubt read the embassy letter with requirements: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/public/Revised%20K1%20Instruction%20Packet%20_3__rtf2_005.pdf

As long as your fiancee knows you and about you then all will be fine. Oh and make sure she knows your mother's maiden name as they ask that at CFO.

Yup, it was probably a joke with front loading. However, PHL is considered a high fraud rate country. It's better be safe than sorry. I don't regret anything since it was a fun project.

Thanks for the CFO tip. The only thing I am annoyed that CFO may ask for my BC. It's the Philippines and I only have one copy here in the U.S.

1/18/2013 - Married

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yup, it was probably a joke with front loading. However, PHL is considered a high fraud rate country. It's better be safe than sorry. I don't regret anything since it was a fun project.

Thanks for the CFO tip. The only thing I am annoyed that CFO may ask for my BC. It's the Philippines and I only have one copy here in the U.S.

Ya its considered a high fraud country but still there is a limit to the the DO-DO that will DO. :lol:

You only need copies of your BC and such not originals, you can scan and email all that CFO requires from you.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I do agree that making the interview would be another proof of a bona fide relationship, and being there would be great for everyone. But it also does not imply that you do not have a bona fide relationship if you can not make it. As this is not a requirement for approval. Everyone needs to look at there own situation, considering the finaincail implications, work vacation days, fiancee's needs and desires, etc. So if you can make it to the interview i would encourage you to,,, but it is not required.

Ya its considered a high fraud country but still there is a limit to the the DO-DO that will DO. :lol:

You only need copies of your BC and such not originals, you can scan and email all that CFO requires from you.

:lol: Thanks Hank!

I have a copy of the BC and scanned it.

1/18/2013 - Married

I agree with Paul, everyone needs to look at their own situation when deciding whether to attend the interview.

I did not attend Chinook's interview because we were confident that Chinook could handle it on her own, and because we wanted to save my vacation days for when Chinook was here in the U.S., and because we had strong proof of a bona fide relationship, and because I had no I-134 income worries.

However, I realize that not every VJ'er feels they have a strong case for visa approval. For example, I believe it's important for the petitioner to attend the interview if attempting to use a joint sponsor. Of course, you won't see that info on the Embassy's list of requirements but, in my opinion, real-life experience tells us it's a good idea.

Ironically, Chinook received a 221g at her interview because of a mistake I made on the I-129F. :bonk: Thankfully, it didn't delay her visa. However, it could have been corrected at her interview if I had been there.

That's actually what I am planning to do when my fiancee comes. Because she is going to adapt here in the U.S., I want to make sure I spend time with her. People say ours is a straightforward case. Same age range, both professionals, no prior marriage, income is secure, etc. The process is a struggle since it would derail a lot of our plans together. I definitely thank this forum since it helps ease the nerves. This experience gives me more sympathy to my clients who are waiting in line for their turn.

1/18/2013 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.