Grashoppr

Question about Interview Letter

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For those who have received Interview Letters, a question...

Does it come from your district office, or somewhere else?

I filed my N-400 to the Dallas office (DO Atlanta). My case was given an NBC number (National Benefits Center), which I believe, is in Missouri.

I've been in line for interview for just over 2 months, earlier this week I received a Yellow Letter from NBC in Missouri. All it asks is that I bring my driver's license - no biggie there.

Just trying to grasp how the process goes. I (mistakenly?) thought that once I was put in line, my file had been forwarded to the DO, but the YL implies that my file is (was) still in Missouri when it was sent.

So will NBC send me the IL, or the DO?

Just curious...

Grashoppr

I filed my N-400 to the Dallas office (DO Atlanta). My case was given an NBC number (National Benefits Center), which I believe, is in Missouri.

I've been in line for interview for just over 2 months, earlier this week I received a Yellow Letter from NBC in Missouri. All it asks is that I bring my driver's license - no biggie there.

Just trying to grasp how the process goes. I (mistakenly?) thought that once I was put in line, my file had been forwarded to the DO, but the YL implies that my file is (was) still in Missouri when it was sent.

Just curious...

Grashoppr

It comes from Lee's Summit, MO, NBC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious...

Grashoppr

As I understand from somewhere in the forum, once the initial processing is completed at NBC Missouri, the files are sent to respective District Offices, who will issue the IL based on their work load and PDs.

Some DOs (eg. Seattle/San Jose) take minimum time to adjudicate N-400. Some DOs work at snail's speed.

(During AOS process, my IL came form local DO 3 months before the actual interview date)

I presume the same local DO will send me the IL for naturalization. (My PD 9/17; FP 9/26. I do not expect to hear from USCIS till next month)

I know USCIS is testing your patience. Relax... your IL is on the way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Interview letter comes from your local assigned field office and they also have the sole discretion as to whether you receive your certificate or not.

Asking for your state's drivers' license is somewhat redundant, as any case I am aware off, only given to the applicant based on having a current valid green card. It's almost like the USCIS doesn't trust their own green card. We had to bring that along, but in our case, never asked to see it. But can't even get in the door without your green card.

Timeline

Yes I thought it was redundant too - but hey, it was movement at least to get that YL 2 weeks ago. ;)

I've been given conflicting info - some say their IL came from NBC in Missouri, others say it comes from the district office. :unsure:

Just curious...

Grashoppr

It comes from Lee's Summit, MO, NBC, i had the same question but when my letter came it came from lee summit , the IO see if there is any opening for a interview then they send the interview letter , so i don't think that it comes from DO office ...:)because i have a interview next month.

Edited by hotshot

Timeline

Thanks. That's where my YL came from too, 2 weeks ago. The YL only asked for my driver's license so nothing complicated there that they might allow extra time for me to get before scheduling interview.

Home stretch is close.... hopefully :) At least my DO seems to get oaths done relatively quickly. From what I've seen, if one has the interview early in the day, the frequently get same-day oath, even if they live within reasonably close proximity. Otherwise, they seem to get it within a week or so. So at least that bit goes quickly - relatively speaking.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.