NC&LEYTE

prepare for interview help!!!!!!!!!!!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Soon we will be scheduling our interview in Manila. What is the 3 most important things to focus on at the interview? What are the 3 worst things you can do?Any advice from past experience will be most helpful.Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Relax, be honest, and smile. If your relationship is real and you have the requested documents and such you will be just fine.

Worse thing to do? Not show up, forget your paperwork. Serious ... relax all will be fine.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

My fiancee were ask 3 questions only: How long was the relationship? what is his job? and have she gone to the states?

After that it was approved coz we had 2 kids and have been together 9 years.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They may ask if you speak english well, and I saw someone ahead of us answer NO, and her fiancee didn't speak Tagalog, they opened up a can of worms by answering NO,the questions went down a doomsday path, the C/O then started asking if you can't speak english well, then how do you two communicate? Then ensued the Crash and Burn. Just be ready for possible questions like that...

Don't scare the OP. lolz You will be fine if you tell the truth. BUT answer the question and do not go in tangents. The above post example may be a fraud case for all we know. lolz.

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just be honest in answering questions. If the relationship is genuine then there's nothing to worry about and don't forget to pray and relax while waiting for your number to flash on the screen. With me I only got 3 questions but it just depends on the consul though.

Timeline

They may ask if you speak english well, and I saw someone ahead of us answer NO, and her fiancee didn't speak Tagalog, they opened up a can of worms by answering NO,the questions went down a doomsday path, the C/O then started asking if you can't speak english well, then how do you two communicate? Then ensued the Crash and Burn. Just be ready for possible questions like that...

No they won't. In fact at the beginning of the interview they will ask if Tagalog or English is preferred.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tell that to the lady who was ahead of us. That may be a prescreen option, but the CO never gave her such an option during the final interview. Just pointing out what we observed prior to our own interview. She was with her American Fiance,who for whatever reason chose to sit down down for the interview instead of standing beside her. Perhaps it was his choice of action that initiated that line of questioning. I guess go with the idea that every interview is different as are the COs. Just be prepared for anything.

Our interview(with a different CO) was hassle-free, but we were prepared(over) for any situation that we thought we could encounter. We chose a course of action that included our CO, meaning we were talking to him and tried to get into mode where it was a personal conversation instead of a formal interview. We noticed our CO was married, so we asked asked questions like, Hello sir how are you this afternoon? We noticed that you are married,is she also filipina? How long have you worked here in USEM? If you can connect with someone on a human level and try to understand them, I've noticed people are usually more willing to help. Paying attention to detail and knowing how to speak to someone could be the difference from having a pleasant or unpleasant interview experience IMO.

Timeline

Their issue wasn't the language of preference for the inteview, it was she did not speak English and he did not speak Tagalog... wreaked of "fraud" as they could not prove a real relationship being they could not communicate with each other. Apples and oranges.

If you Fiancee has requested the interview to be in Tagalog the CO would have obliged.

I was with my wife for her interview as well and the conversation with the Filipino interviewer and the CO was very casual and easy, and we did not "try to connect with either" they were both just easy to talk with.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Relax, be honest, and smile. If your relationship is real and you have the requested documents and such you will be just fine.

Worse thing to do? Not show up, forget your paperwork. Serious ... relax all will be fine.

Second what he said. My wife has been here almost a year now. I did it, and almost all do it. we over prepare and get too nervous about the interview. Like he said, if your paperwork is correct and relationship meets the guidelines you are not going to be denied. You do not need 50 photos and 5lbs of chat transcripts.

I know of only a few that have been turned down or delayed. If I remember correct, the main thing was the affidavit of support and meeting income requirements,and proof related to that.

They hardly looked at my wife's package. I don't think they even looked at a photo. If I remember correct she only had about 5 mins of total face time.

Tell that to the lady who was ahead of us. That may be a prescreen option, but the CO never gave her such an option during the final interview. Just pointing out what we observed prior to our own interview. She was with her American Fiance,who for whatever reason chose to sit down down for the interview instead of standing beside her. Perhaps it was his choice of action that initiated that line of questioning. I guess go with the idea that every interview is different as are the COs. Just be prepared for anything.

Our interview(with a different CO) was hassle-free, but we were prepared(over) for any situation that we thought we could encounter. We chose a course of action that included our CO, meaning we were talking to him and tried to get into mode where it was a personal conversation instead of a formal interview. We noticed our CO was married, so we asked asked questions like, Hello sir how are you this afternoon? We noticed that you are married,is she also filipina? How long have you worked here in USEM? If you can connect with someone on a human level and try to understand them, I've noticed people are usually more willing to help. Paying attention to detail and knowing how to speak to someone could be the difference from having a pleasant or unpleasant interview experience IMO.

I suspect this is onecase when the Fiancee going to the interview, actually hurt the case. I bet if he had stayed home they would have been approved.They did something that red flagged them big time.

I suspect them not being able to communicate was just the tip of the iceberg.

3 Most important things:

- Be honest

- Be very confident - if you know your man, your know your papers, you know your answers - you'll never worry about whatever question the CO would throw at you

- Don't beat around the bush

3 Worst things

- Lie

- Get confused and give conflicting/inconsistent answers against what your papers show (they will not correct you, they'll just give you a poker face)

- Lie

I remember the day I sat down for my interview and the CO indeed asked if I prefer English or Tagalog - I said English ... and to my surprise, this young, probably 30'ish, handsome looking American spoke in straight Tagalog "Ayaw mo ng Tagalog? Pwede naman Tagalog" (you don't want Tagalog? Tagalog is okay) - I giggled but I can't help to have that "oooooh-kaaay?" kind of look on my face - but I politely insisted that I prefer English. (and take note, English is English - not TagLish)

.... so, whatever the situation is, the CO may act very friendly or funny, but don't let that get ya, a CO is a CO and your future is on their hands. Show confidence and professionalism and you'll be fine.

• CR1 Timeline
  • 11.07.08 - I-130 & Documents Mailed to USCIS via USPS
  • 11.09.08 - Docs signed for by whoever R. Mercado is of USCIS... (via tracking result)
  • 11.18.08 - Application transferred to California Service Center
  • 11.20.08 - NOA1 Received
  • 06.25.09 - Approval Notice sent on e-mail from USCIS.. Yaaaa~Ha!!! Thanks "Bro"!
  • 06.29.09 - NOA2 Approval Notice hard copy recv'd
  • 07.14.09 - AOS Notice letter from NVC recv'd
  • 07.24.09 - Recv'd DS-3032 (choice of agent) with MNL Case No.
  • 07.28.09 - AOS certified check payment recv'd at NVC
  • 08.01.09 - DS-3032 Mailed to NVC via UPS
  • 08.06.09 - DS-3032 acknowledgment
  • 08.08.09 - [iV] Bill for Immigrant Visa e-mail recv'd
  • 08.13.09 - [iV] Bill Paid
  • 08.14.09 - DS-230 Instruction Packet e-mail recv'd
  • 08.20.09 - I-864 acknowledgment
  • 08.27.09 - DS-230 acknowledgment
  • 09.09.09 - NVC Case complete
  • 09.12.09 - Appointment Letter recv'd
  • 09.28.09 - Medical
  • 09.29.09 - Medical Passed
  • 10.02.09 - Visa on hold. CRBA Required.
  • 12.21.09 - Submitted addt'l docs. [white slip: Passport and CRBA]
  • 12.28.09 - Visa approved. Thank you Lord!
  • 01.07.10 - VISA ON HAND on my lucky 7th day of the month! :D
  • 01.12.10 - CFO Seminar at St. Mary's
  • 02.17.10 - POE: Detroit. [destination: Chicago ORD]
  • 03.02.10 - SSN recv'd
  • 03.08.10 - 2 yr. Green Card recv'd
  • 03.09.10 - I-797C Welcome notice recv'd

Timeline

to give you an idea on what to expect at the embassy, you may read the Embassy reviews tab. here's mine. :)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/384961-usem-manila-visa-interview/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.