Anja_and_Henry

Moving from Germany

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey There,

Found out yesterday that my luggage is cut down from 2 pieces 32 kg each to 23 kg each :o And I will travel with a not even two year old beginning of April... I have sooo much stuffffffff

I don't have a ticket yet but are there any suggestions on friendly airlines? How much did you guys take? Sending boxes seams so expensive.

Cheers Anja

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Mailing any extra stuff is probably a lot heaper than paying extra on the plane The last time I had overweight suitcases, they wanted charge me $150 per suitcase which is just not worth it. Since the luggage guidelines are valid internationally, there will not be much of a difference between different airlines. What you might consider (depending on your location in Germany) is packing the boxes and travelling to the closest foreign country. Some of the countries surrounding Germany have lower shipping rates. I know some people who shipped their things via Lufthansa Cargo, but only because they got reduced rates (Vitamin B).

Also, think about which items you truly need and what would be cheaper to replace. I know that is a difficult process, but having seen how the few things I took over went I first went over have become part of a rather huge household (and I'm not even into buying things), I'm glad I didn't take all my stuff.

Finally, you might consider packing everything that you don't need immediately (winter clothes and the like come to mind) and asking friends or family who plan on attending your wedding (assuming you guys plan a reception) to bring over some of your things.

Hope things work out for you somehow...

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I flew Continental just last week, and they did indeed drop it from 70lbs to 50lbs for 2 free suitcases. If it is inbetween there, they charge $25, if it's over that, they charge by the pound. If it's over 100lbs, they wont take it at all. Both of mine were between 50 and 70, so the guy just charged me for one.

Only thing i might recommend is putting all your REALLY heavy stuff in your carry on. You can bring a pretty good size carry on and also a backpack/big purse with you, and as far as i know it doesnt matter how heavy it is since you'll just carry it through security with you. It says officially 40lbs, but nobody weighs it.

--K1 Filing--

9-6-05 - Mailed I-129f to Vermont Service Center

9-16-05 - NOA1 received in the mail

9-23-05 - Recieved email for NOA2

9-24-05 - Proposed! (Slightly out of order on this!)

10-11-05 - Packet 3 received in Germany

11-18-05 - Mailed Packet 3 Checklist back in

11-29-05 - Medical and Police Check Completed

1-30-06 - Interview, APPROVED!!

4-1-06 - Together in the US

6-6-06 - Married!

--AOS Filing--

6-28-06 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) and lots of $$$ to Chicago

7-7-06 - Recieved NOA1 for all 3 applications

7-26-06 - Biometrics scheduled and completed (for both EAD and AP)

9-18-06 - RFE Mailed. Need translated Birth C.

10-9-06 - RFE Sent back in, Case touched.

10-31-06 - AP and EAD Approved!

*1-23-07 - Interview Date! (received in mail on 12/4/06)

APPROVED!

my bags were a little heavier than that flying out of Germany but they simply ignored it. i flew Delta and never had to pay for overweight bags.

Don't you get an extra bag for your kid? When my sister was flying she had 2 bags for her and 1 bag for her not yet 2 year old.

Sometimes they also let it slip when they see a visa in your passport but I don't know for sure.

Make sure you check in early, as your kid won't get a seat for himself and if you have a carseat or something you wanna sit in the very front of a department (more leg space). They put me and my sister somewhere in the middle and it sucked, even though we had told them to give us a front seat. We had no room and had to recheck the car seat and all. that was actually meant to be his seat, as 10 hours with a toddler on your lap is not the most comfortable way to travel

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Timeline

Thank you so much for the replies.

I will send some boxes via DHL, 20 kg each, 62.00 Euro per box and leave some things with my Mother to bring later. And YES, I will fill my carry on, with a baby they are not so crazy anyway - the airlines expect you to have stuff. I just don't want to leave all his toys and books behind and buy new stuff. There are things we really like.

Did you bring all your cd's and what about books? I can't leave my live...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm facing the same problems like you are, Anja. (though I don't have a kid and thus less stuff to move)

I can't add much new to this thread since I'll do exactly what is already mentioned - 2 suitcases, heavy carry-on, one or two 20kg boxes sent by DHL. I found that to be the cheapest option.

I have tons of books and CDs too and I decided to NOT bring the books (I'll ask my mom to send them a little further down the road, you don't really NEED books in the first months), but I'll bring my CDs. I bought one of these CD folder thingies for them - they hold tons of CDs but don't need much space/ don't weight much.

Like this one: 222984A1.gif

AOS & EAD:

10/13/2006 - sent AOS and EAD documents

10/18/2006 - NOA1

11/02/2006 - biometrics appointment in Santa Ana

01/05/2007 - interview appointment in Santa Ana - APPROVED!!!

01/16/2007 - greencard in mail

01/22/2007 - EAD card in mail (well, thank you very much)

javatar1.jpgjavbw2.jpgjavbw4.jpgjavbw1.jpg

avbw1.jpgavbw3.jpgavbw2.jpgavbw4.jpg

Jonnie & Sandra

Timeline

Oh thanks, the cd thing is a good idea: shoot, I have 300 cd's plus 20 kids cd's now. But DHL is the only choice for folders and picture books - they are too big but light.

I still have to cancel some contracts - this is so much fun towards waiting for the visa lol

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Book and CDs: See if you can send them as "Buechersendung." I remember that used to be the cheapest way to send anything; the package can only include print and maybe sound media and it needs to be accessible to customs. Don't know if DHL/Deutsche Post sends internationally though.

You can get CD-wallets that hold 500 CDs, btw. It's also possible to put twice as much in one folder than officially indicated. They expect you to use one side of each page for CDs, and the other for booklets. I have just put all my music on my laptop, which I find even more convenient.

I do understand your concern about giving up your life. All my stuff is scattered across Germany currently, and I've no idea how I'll be able to get it over, unless I rent a container. Way too many books...

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Anja-! Go to the UPS website!!!!!!!!! Listen to me ok,maybe you just forgot,lol.

Go to the UPS website to "Kosten und Zeiten berechnen". 20 boxes that weigh about 200KG is 800 Euros.And it's there withing a few days.

Really,check that out!!!!! That's BY FAR the cheapest I have found.

www.ups.de

Good Luck!

Call me sometime,I missplaced your number again..........

Huggs

Natasha

Oh and as for flights-

check out KLM.They're pretty cheap.But with US Airlines you dont have to pay that much tax.Still,KLM has very good deals.Other than that,we just flew with Delta Airlines,but they're not good with kids.At least from my experience.

Anyway,go to www.explorer fernreisen.com (or.de?) they have the best deals.

Huggs again

Natasha

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Timeline

Just wanted to say good luck with your move. This is very exciting I'm sure. :yes:

By the way, would you put my fiance in one of your baggages and mail him to US :lol::lol::lol:

3/24/11 Received 10 year Green Card in the mail - Done. Feels good :-) 'till we do this again for US Citizenship.

12/5/11 mailed packet for Naturalization

12/9/11 was received by USCIS.

4/6/12 received letter for fingerprint appn.

4/23/12 9am fingerprint appointment - done :-)

4/30/12 Recieved Letter for Interview - Sche. 5/31

5/31/12 Interview & Testing

5/31/12 Testing Approved - Waiting for next step

6/21/12 Rcvd email, placed application in the oath sched. que :-)

6/25/12 Rcvd letter - Oath Ceremony is on 7/11/12 @ 9:15am :-)

Timeline

Hey Yasi,

You are waiting for ever now - this is horrible!!! I thought our timeline is tough... Sure, I will squeeze him in for you - pick him up in WA...

Good luck to you, Anja

Did you call your congress person? I remember things started moving faster when we did. I just dont know if it is out of congress reach when things are at NVC. Try and call.

Just wanted to say good luck with your move. This is very exciting I'm sure. :yes:

By the way, would you put my fiance in one of your baggages and mail him to US :lol::lol::lol:

Timeline

That's from Lufthansa on carry-ons:

"Carry-on baggage

First and Business Class passengers may take two pieces of hand luggage on board. One of the pieces should be stowed under the seat in front of you. Economy Class passengers are only permitted one piece of hand luggage.

Each piece of hand luggage may not be larger than 55 « 40 « 20 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg. A foldable garment bag (no larger than 57 « 54 « 15 cm) may also be taken on board as hand luggage. In the interests of your own and other passengers' safety and comfort, bags exceeding these limits must be checked in.

Due to the limited space on board you may keep your cabin baggage until boarding on almost all Lufthansa Regional aircraft. You may hand over cabin baggage directly before entering the aircraft. Also when disembarking you will receive your cabin baggage directly at the aircraft. For that purpose, baggage carts are available next to the aircraft stairs.

In certain cases, First and Business Class passengers may only be permitted to take one piece of cabin baggage on board. This applies to:

Flights with small aircraft (Lufthansa Regional Partner) Flights in countries with restrictive government regulations (such as Italy and the USA)

On flights operated by one of our partner airlines different regulations may apply.

In addition to your hand luggage, you may take the following items on board:

a handbag, wrist bag or small bag with shoulder straps a coat,

shawl or blanket an umbrella or walking stick

a small camera or a pair of binoculars

an appropriate amount of reading material for the journey

a baby basket and baby food for consumption during the flight

crutches or other orthopaedic aids needed during the journey

Not allowed in carry-on baggage are all items that may cause injury:

Weapons and items that may be used as weapons which can discharge a projectile, or look-alike weapons Pointed and sharp items Blunt items "

(taken from: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/...&nodeid=1333482 )

I personally wouldn't go too far with the carry-on. I've had several occasions (with different airlines) in Frankfurt when the carry-on had to fit through that "carry-on-size-device" (if you ever travelled through Frankfurt you know what I mean).

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Timeline

Thanks Anja. I wish we could do that & I would pick him up.... :lol::lol:

I called my congresswoman. She sent a letter to NVC. Waiting for a response.

Again good luck.... :thumbs:

3/24/11 Received 10 year Green Card in the mail - Done. Feels good :-) 'till we do this again for US Citizenship.

12/5/11 mailed packet for Naturalization

12/9/11 was received by USCIS.

4/6/12 received letter for fingerprint appn.

4/23/12 9am fingerprint appointment - done :-)

4/30/12 Recieved Letter for Interview - Sche. 5/31

5/31/12 Interview & Testing

5/31/12 Testing Approved - Waiting for next step

6/21/12 Rcvd email, placed application in the oath sched. que :-)

6/25/12 Rcvd letter - Oath Ceremony is on 7/11/12 @ 9:15am :-)

I personally wouldn't go too far with the carry-on. I've had several occasions (with different airlines) in Frankfurt when the carry-on had to fit through that "carry-on-size-device" (if you ever travelled through Frankfurt you know what I mean).

:yes: And the overhead compartment will only hold so much weight. I have witnessed one of them breaking because people stuffed so much in their carry-on. I think those things take around 80kg but don't forget it won't just be your bag stuffed up there so the weight tallies up quickly.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline

Whenever I fly with Henry nobody said anything so far about the size of my hand carry bags. To Taiwan I had three, one full of food and diapers for Henry and toys and change..... It is mostly not heavy but takes up a lot of space. Scarry thought to have a overhead compartment come down....

I'm so excited now, hope I can sleep for the next month lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.