Eruditional

Getting a waiver for filing another K1 petition within 2 years

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Several months, after an engagement and K1 visa petition filing, my ex and I broke up after the visa was approved, but before she came here to the US. I am sending a letter now for my intent of canceling the visa. She was from China.

After meeting through a friend of a friend, I have recently returned from the Philippines and met a wonderful woman who after spending a few weeks with, I'm already planning on going back and spending more time together. I would like to think that this is going to go all the way. And I wanted to know what is the process for requesting a waiver if I end up filing a petition for K1 visa in less than 2 years? I definitely want to take at least a year for us to get to know each other, however I approach relationships seriously and would like to plan before taking the paperwork plunge. I've met lots of her family and she's even spoken to my parents and things look good. Plus I'm part Filipino so we share some of the same culture (although I was raised in Hawaii) and the gap wasn't as big as previously.

Anyway, the question is, how do I request a waiver to file for another K1 visa within 2 years? What are the chances of such a request being granted?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You can't cancel the visa because you never applied for a visa. Your ex-fiancee did. You CAN withdraw the petition, as long as she never used the visa. Your letter should say you want to withdraw the petition. I'd send a copy to both the consulate and USCIS. Use the consulate's case number with the letter to the consulate, and the USCIS case number with the letter to USCIS.

There is no formal process for requesting a waiver of the multiple filing limitations. You simply include a letter with your petition asking that the multiple filing limitations be waived, and explaining why you think they should be waived in your case. They pretty much always approve those requests unless you have an IMBRA related crime that you're required to disclose with the petition. If you have an IMBRA related crime then they may deny the waiver request.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thankfully my worse offense ever is a speeding ticket ^_^ ok, good to know this isn't something that will come bite me in the butt later on. yeah I didn't mean cancel visa I meant withdraw petition. Although the visa expires in December anyway as it was issued in June. But my ex is not coming to the US at all thankfully.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.