LnS

Russian Visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I've decided to use visahq and am filling out the application online for a tourist visa now. I have a few questions:

1. It is asking for type of accommodation. In reality I'll be staying with my girlfriend, but if I select "Friend" will they deny my visa and tell me I need to reapply for a private/invitation visa?

If I select "Hotel" it asks for the hotel's information (address, phone number etc.). If I select this option, I would need to put false info.

2. It asks "Do you have your own invitation?" I am buying an invitation from visahq. If I select "yes" it asks for all the information, which I don't have yet. So if I select "No" will visahq fill in the required information before sending it off to the embassy or does all the information I put on this application go straight to the embassy without editing?

3. It asks "List all countries who have issued you a passport". So for example when I entered Spain and Ukraine, is that stamp that they put in my passport upon entry considered a "passport"? If so, I should list all countries I've visited even if they didn't require a visa, correct?

Thanks!

1. I don't think you should have a problem putting a friend. They never have in the past.

2. Put "No." "Yes" would mean that you got the invitation somewhere else. They should take care of everything else.

3. The question is all countries that have issued you a passport (not visa, entry stamp, or simply entry). There is (or used to be) another question about all countries that you have visited. If you are a US citizen and have always been one, the US is probably the only country that has ever issued you a passport. In general, you will never be issued a passport by a country of which you are not a citizen.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I've decided to use visahq and am filling out the application online for a tourist visa now. I have a few questions:

1. It is asking for type of accommodation. In reality I'll be staying with my girlfriend, but if I select "Friend" will they deny my visa and tell me I need to reapply for a private/invitation visa?

If I select "Hotel" it asks for the hotel's information (address, phone number etc.). If I select this option, I would need to put false info.

2. It asks "Do you have your own invitation?" I am buying an invitation from visahq. If I select "yes" it asks for all the information, which I don't have yet. So if I select "No" will visahq fill in the required information before sending it off to the embassy or does all the information I put on this application go straight to the embassy without editing?

3. It asks "List all countries who have issued you a passport". So for example when I entered Spain and Ukraine, is that stamp that they put in my passport upon entry considered a "passport"? If so, I should list all countries I've visited even if they didn't require a visa, correct?

Thanks!

Answer to #3. Unless you are a Ukrainian and Spanish citizen your Passport did not come from those Countries. The stamp is not the Passport, the little book with the symbol of your Country on the cover that you handed them on arrival is the Passport. You are a US Citizen. Your Passport was issued by the United States.

Answer to #2. Wait until you DO have the information form your Invitation because at Passport control in Moscow (or your point of entry whichever is your destination) the Passport control officer will FOR SURE look closely at this information and then stamp your Visa for Entry. The fact that you bought your "invitation" is not the point. I did this and did not stay at a hotel most of my trip. Way To Russia has is the one I used for the Invitation. No problems. They E-mail it and I printed it out as they instructed. You will be required to "register" your temporary immigration card you will get on your flight within a few days time or you could get into a difficult situation while in Russia or when leaving. Ask your lady, she will know where to take you to do the registration. Honestly, it is a simple matter doing registration, just don't put it off. Do it! All Russians have to do this when they leave the "home district" after a few days or they also can get a fine. Remember your not in America. Do as you are expected to do and you'll have no problems. Relax, they are not mean to you..your bringing business to them so they are not going to give you a hard time IF your papers are in order. Unless you are applying in New York you can no longer go directly to the Russian Embassy to obtain your Visa. Use your Search Engine and see the correct Russian Embassy to your location to apply to. There is clear information on how to actually submit the Visa Application form on the Consulate General websites. I live near Seattle and they have now contracted to a local travel office to work the Visa's for them. You can read on that website how this works. Probably the same in most other Consulate General.

Answer to #1. Cat skinning. Stay at a Hostel near the airport the last evening there (about $50 a night) and ask them do your registration stamp. It's technically a sly trick but it is not recommended you say you will be at your lady's home or she will have to jump hoops to get the Invitation letter to you. Better to contact a travel agency (Way to Russia is a good source) and get the "package" that will fit the current needs at Passport Control. I plan to buy the Tourist Multi Entry and Invitation for our Interview in Moscow and even though I am married, could legally claim the Homestay Visa and my Russian Wife COULD do the Invitation letter but she has enough going on now with the upcoming move to the States. Don't do that to your Lady. She will appreciate you did not ask this of her. It's a PIA for her to deal with the sovietcrats still left over from the CCCP days. You'll find out if you marry in Russia as we did what I am saying here.

Last bits of info. Russia is a CASH Society. Even renting a car in smaller towns is done on a cash basis. UP front. Cash, not plastic cards. NOT recommended you attempt to drive a rental car unless you are prepared for the kind of driving common in Europe (aggressive). If you do decide to go for the "adventure" you do need your Drivers License translated and the translation notarized (Notary in Russia). Expect to be flagged over at random and payment is in cash for that on the spot by the way. Cops don't waste time in Russia writing tickets. You simply get fleeced and go down the road. Cash is all your going to be able to use for nearly everything on the trip. Do not buy Roubles at your Bank in America before you leave. The rate is poor and it's a hassle. The exchange at the Moscow Airport (if that is your destination) is fair. You'll be able to exchange US Dollars very easily in every city in Russia of any size. Just walking the sidewalks in Moscow you'll see many a sign with the exchanges on them. Do as your lady says and keep your cash out of view when out on the town. Respect her knowledge of her Country, just do as she says and you'll be ok. Be aware that if you tip at restaurants you will be noted as not a local. Get used to the cost now because your Visa Journey is anything but inexpensive. Make very SURE this is who you want in your life for her sake as well as yours.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Right, that is NOT an invitation and should not be called such, since in a Russian visa context it has a specific meaning. It is the same BS document that everyone here has gotten.

From what I have heard, not much has actually changed in the process itself but there are rumors they might expect more documentation in terms of proof of income, etc.

What other kind of proof have you heard rumor of? I am not disagreeing, nor would I be surprised. With the Contracting to outside agency's of the Russian Visa process and the other recent changes this could be yet another "task" in the path. I am actually surprised they have not yet demanded a medical insurance coverage document of some kind! Do tell please.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

What other kind of proof have you heard rumor of? I am not disagreeing, nor would I be surprised. With the Contracting to outside agency's of the Russian Visa process and the other recent changes this could be yet another "task" in the path. I am actually surprised they have not yet demanded a medical insurance coverage document of some kind! Do tell please.

It has always kind of been required, but they wouldn't deny you for not having it, generally. Basically, the same sort of stuff Russians would require if they wanted an American visa: proof of income, letter from employer, etc. But whether this is actually required, I don't know yet it. But remember that getting a US visa has always been difficult and the Russian consulate has always more or less just wanted your money. There is not much danger of Americans staying in Russia illegally, after all.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Answer to #3. Unless you are a Ukrainian and Spanish citizen your Passport did not come from those Countries. The stamp is not the Passport, the little book with the symbol of your Country on the cover that you handed them on arrival is the Passport. You are a US Citizen. Your Passport was issued by the United States.

Answer to #2. Wait until you DO have the information form your Invitation because at Passport control in Moscow (or your point of entry whichever is your destination) the Passport control officer will FOR SURE look closely at this information and then stamp your Visa for Entry. The fact that you bought your "invitation" is not the point. I did this and did not stay at a hotel most of my trip. Way To Russia has is the one I used for the Invitation. No problems. They E-mail it and I printed it out as they instructed. You will be required to "register" your temporary immigration card you will get on your flight within a few days time or you could get into a difficult situation while in Russia or when leaving. Ask your lady, she will know where to take you to do the registration. Honestly, it is a simple matter doing registration, just don't put it off. Do it! All Russians have to do this when they leave the "home district" after a few days or they also can get a fine. Remember your not in America. Do as you are expected to do and you'll have no problems. Relax, they are not mean to you..your bringing business to them so they are not going to give you a hard time IF your papers are in order. Unless you are applying in New York you can no longer go directly to the Russian Embassy to obtain your Visa. Use your Search Engine and see the correct Russian Embassy to your location to apply to. There is clear information on how to actually submit the Visa Application form on the Consulate General websites. I live near Seattle and they have now contracted to a local travel office to work the Visa's for them. You can read on that website how this works. Probably the same in most other Consulate General.

Answer to #1. Cat skinning. Stay at a Hostel near the airport the last evening there (about $50 a night) and ask them do your registration stamp. It's technically a sly trick but it is not recommended you say you will be at your lady's home or she will have to jump hoops to get the Invitation letter to you. Better to contact a travel agency (Way to Russia is a good source) and get the "package" that will fit the current needs at Passport Control. I plan to buy the Tourist Multi Entry and Invitation for our Interview in Moscow and even though I am married, could legally claim the Homestay Visa and my Russian Wife COULD do the Invitation letter but she has enough going on now with the upcoming move to the States. Don't do that to your Lady. She will appreciate you did not ask this of her. It's a PIA for her to deal with the sovietcrats still left over from the CCCP days. You'll find out if you marry in Russia as we did what I am saying here.

Last bits of info. Russia is a CASH Society. Even renting a car in smaller towns is done on a cash basis. UP front. Cash, not plastic cards. NOT recommended you attempt to drive a rental car unless you are prepared for the kind of driving common in Europe (aggressive). If you do decide to go for the "adventure" you do need your Drivers License translated and the translation notarized (Notary in Russia). Expect to be flagged over at random and payment is in cash for that on the spot by the way. Cops don't waste time in Russia writing tickets. You simply get fleeced and go down the road. Cash is all your going to be able to use for nearly everything on the trip. Do not buy Roubles at your Bank in America before you leave. The rate is poor and it's a hassle. The exchange at the Moscow Airport (if that is your destination) is fair. You'll be able to exchange US Dollars very easily in every city in Russia of any size. Just walking the sidewalks in Moscow you'll see many a sign with the exchanges on them. Do as your lady says and keep your cash out of view when out on the town. Respect her knowledge of her Country, just do as she says and you'll be ok. Be aware that if you tip at restaurants you will be noted as not a local. Get used to the cost now because your Visa Journey is anything but inexpensive. Make very SURE this is who you want in your life for her sake as well as yours.

I have never had to do anything with a hotel. Unless they start to check this more closely with the new system, it won't matter. I have done a private registration (уведомление о прибытии иностранного гражданина) with my wife at the post office, but this is separate from a visa. I would agree that renting a car will probably be difficult for an American, but public transportation is good and taxis are reasonable (as long as you know how to negotiate it). If you do rent, one thing that has worked when being pulled over is pretending to not understand or speak any Russian. They have to get you a translator and they won't bother because they probably don't have foundation for a ticket anyways. A good phrase is "Я не понедельник" which is roughly translated "I am not Monday" but is similar to "I don't understand." It gets the point across. Just say it belabored and with an earnest face.

Timeline

I'd like to get information on getting myself, a US citizen, a visa to Russia. My questions are as follows:

1. How long does it take?

2. I'll be going to visit my girlfriend in Russia and stay with her and her family. Should I get a private visa or a tourist visa?

3. If I get a private visa, I read that my girlfriend will have to send me an original invitation. On FedEx's site I see that it costs $139 to ship from Krasnoyarsk to Dallas. Does this sound about right? It seems awfully expensive for just an envelope.

4. I read that I should book my plane tickets before applying for the visa because they want to see the itinerary. How far out should I book in order to ensure I get my visa before my trip? I'd like to go as soon as possible.

5. Can anyone here recommend an agency through which I should file the application?

Any other tips or advice is certain welcomed.

Thanks!

Hi,

I just sent for the new three year tourist visa so it is hard to say how long it will take? Even with the new changes you still need an invitation and you can get that on the web site you get your visa from. I have always used VisaHQ.com and have had good luck so far. The difference in price from a 30 day to a 3 year visa is only about 100.00. I thought about the 'private' visa but it sounded like a pain and she will already have to fill out paperwork when you register your visa there in Russia! You can do that at any local post office but be advised, you will wait for a while and probably fill out more than one of them! Speed and service is not available!:) You can still stay with her family but if more than 7 days you will have to register your visa or pay the price when you go to leave the country. The only thing they really need in the application is the dates you will be in country so you can wait to get your ticket if you wish. I always buy mine first but you really don't have to.

One piece of advice I had to learn the hard way, if you are flying to another city in Russia from Moscow you MUST get your luggage and take it through customs in Moscow!!! It's not only free but very easy and if you don't you will wait (like I did for 5 days) to get your luggage back and of course a hefty little fine of 120.00!!! You simply walk through customs and then recheck your bag!:)

event.png

Timeline

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.

I used visahq and have already sent off the application. I have one slight concern, however. The visa questionnaire on visahq's website asked "Type of Accommodation" and I didn't know what to put because if I select "Hotel" it asks for Hotel Name, Address, and Phone Number and these are required fields so I couldn't leave them blank. And since I had purchased the invitation from the visahq, I didn't have the information to fill it in. I chatted with visahq via live chat and they told me to select "Hotel" and put "N/A" in all 3 fields and that they would fill them in when they receive my application. Well, I did that but when I printed out the actual Russian visa application to sign, it actually said "N/A, N/A, N/A" on the application. I decided to call visahq directly to confirm and hoped to get a 2nd opinion, but I'm pretty sure I talked to the same girl from live chat, and she just said don't worry we'll fill in that part when we receive your application. I asked "will you just white it out and then write over it?" and with slight pause she just said "yea". So, I left it as is and sent it off as she suggested.

So should I be concerned that my application says "N/A, N/A, N/A" where it asks for hotel information?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

No. They fill in the blanks and print it out. It won't be white out and written over.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.

I used visahq and have already sent off the application. I have one slight concern, however. The visa questionnaire on visahq's website asked "Type of Accommodation" and I didn't know what to put because if I select "Hotel" it asks for Hotel Name, Address, and Phone Number and these are required fields so I couldn't leave them blank. And since I had purchased the invitation from the visahq, I didn't have the information to fill it in. I chatted with visahq via live chat and they told me to select "Hotel" and put "N/A" in all 3 fields and that they would fill them in when they receive my application. Well, I did that but when I printed out the actual Russian visa application to sign, it actually said "N/A, N/A, N/A" on the application. I decided to call visahq directly to confirm and hoped to get a 2nd opinion, but I'm pretty sure I talked to the same girl from live chat, and she just said don't worry we'll fill in that part when we receive your application. I asked "will you just white it out and then write over it?" and with slight pause she just said "yea". So, I left it as is and sent it off as she suggested.

So should I be concerned that my application says "N/A, N/A, N/A" where it asks for hotel information?

Hi,

Question 34 is the one you are talking about I assume? I just put the name, address and phone number of the person I am staying with. Not sure you should be worried though!:) They did tell me one thing at VisaHQ, if you are trying to get the new three year visa you might be called in for an interview at the Russian Embassy! She told me about 90% of the people in New York are being called in but they are having better luck in Washington DC. Mine is going through DC so I will know soon!:)

event.png

Timeline

Major cities have services that will register you; I don't know about small ones. But there's certainly no reason to spend the night at a hotel.

Also, although I don't recommend it, I have never been asked about registration when leaving the country.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I hope I am asking in the right place. My wife will be leaving Ukraine in the next couple of months, will she and her six year old son need a visa when changing planes in Moscow? Thanks, Phil.

USCIS:

03/29/2012 - I-130 Sent

04/1/2012 - NOA1 Received

06/25/2012 - NOA2 Received (88 Days)

NVC:

07/31/2012 - Case arrived at NVC (36 Days from USCIS to NVC)

08/16/2012 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses

08/18/2012 - E-mailed DS-3032

08/23/2012 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID

08/27/2012 - AOS bill appears as PAID

08/24/2012 - AOS Package sent

08/XX/2012 - AOS/I-864 accepted

08/23/2012 - DS-3032 accepted

08/28/2012 - IV bill invoiced & PAID

08/30/2012 - IV bill appears as PAID

08/28/2012 - IV Package sent

09/07/2012 - REF Forgot bar code cover sheet in AOS packet

09/08/2012 - Mailed REF will be there Monday Sept.10th

09/25/2012 - Case Complete

10/30/2012 - Medical in Kyiv....All good

11/27/2012 - Interview date

In AP.

01/15/2013- Call from Emb####

02/20/2013 -Denied

04/18/2013- Application sent to State Department.

08/23/2013- Talked to USCIS the application is back at USCIS and "might" review it by December.....

08/23/2013- Pissed off.

03/14/2014- Recivied notice from USCIS. Reply due 04/16/14

04/12/2014- Reply mailed 300+ pages.

04/23/2014- Reply from USCIS they received the packet.

07/07/2014- Called my Congressman to check on progress.

07/08/2014- Got a call back from Congressman aid "USCIS is working on it".

07/09/2014- Got email from USCIS that my address change had gone through. I never requested an address change. Call Congressman and USCIS. Was an error an no address change...

07/10/2014- Received email from USCIS. We are approved again. I think the call to my Congressman helped.

08/04/2014- Application received from USCIS and forwarded to Kyiv.

08/19/2014- Interview Sept.19,2014

09/19/2014- Interview Approved.

Timeline

I hope I am asking in the right place. My wife will be leaving Ukraine in the next couple of months, will she and her six year old son need a visa when changing planes in Moscow? Thanks, Phil.

Ukrainian citizens do not need a visa for Russia.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks. :thumbs:

USCIS:

03/29/2012 - I-130 Sent

04/1/2012 - NOA1 Received

06/25/2012 - NOA2 Received (88 Days)

NVC:

07/31/2012 - Case arrived at NVC (36 Days from USCIS to NVC)

08/16/2012 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses

08/18/2012 - E-mailed DS-3032

08/23/2012 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID

08/27/2012 - AOS bill appears as PAID

08/24/2012 - AOS Package sent

08/XX/2012 - AOS/I-864 accepted

08/23/2012 - DS-3032 accepted

08/28/2012 - IV bill invoiced & PAID

08/30/2012 - IV bill appears as PAID

08/28/2012 - IV Package sent

09/07/2012 - REF Forgot bar code cover sheet in AOS packet

09/08/2012 - Mailed REF will be there Monday Sept.10th

09/25/2012 - Case Complete

10/30/2012 - Medical in Kyiv....All good

11/27/2012 - Interview date

In AP.

01/15/2013- Call from Emb####

02/20/2013 -Denied

04/18/2013- Application sent to State Department.

08/23/2013- Talked to USCIS the application is back at USCIS and "might" review it by December.....

08/23/2013- Pissed off.

03/14/2014- Recivied notice from USCIS. Reply due 04/16/14

04/12/2014- Reply mailed 300+ pages.

04/23/2014- Reply from USCIS they received the packet.

07/07/2014- Called my Congressman to check on progress.

07/08/2014- Got a call back from Congressman aid "USCIS is working on it".

07/09/2014- Got email from USCIS that my address change had gone through. I never requested an address change. Call Congressman and USCIS. Was an error an no address change...

07/10/2014- Received email from USCIS. We are approved again. I think the call to my Congressman helped.

08/04/2014- Application received from USCIS and forwarded to Kyiv.

08/19/2014- Interview Sept.19,2014

09/19/2014- Interview Approved.

Timeline

Tourist visa. No, it's not an official invitation. It's a basic document from a travel agency. My point is that it doesn't mention anything about a hotel. You may be right that everything may go back to the way it was, more or less. In general, I'm just trying to say that there is a change-up going on so any information that is more than a couple months old may no longer be relevant and the OP should be aware of that.

I was in Moscow last month, went through passport control and handed them the 'voucher or invitation' as the agency calls it they just tossed it back to me! I had it folded and they just glanced at it and tossed it! So it must not be very important? They also printed out the 'migration' cards for you. Not sure if that is the norm now but it was nice not having to fill them out!:)

event.png

Timeline

I have never had to do anything with a hotel. Unless they start to check this more closely with the new system, it won't matter. I have done a private registration (уведомление о прибытии иностранного гражданина) with my wife at the post office, but this is separate from a visa. I would agree that renting a car will probably be difficult for an American, but public transportation is good and taxis are reasonable (as long as you know how to negotiate it). If you do rent, one thing that has worked when being pulled over is pretending to not understand or speak any Russian. They have to get you a translator and they won't bother because they probably don't have foundation for a ticket anyways. A good phrase is "Я не понедельник" which is roughly translated "I am not Monday" but is similar to "I don't understand." It gets the point across. Just say it belabored and with an earnest face.

My luck I would get a cop that speaks English but I love the 'I am not Monday' comment!!!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.