LnS

Russian Visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I was in Moscow last month, went through passport control and handed them the 'voucher or invitation' as the agency calls it they just tossed it back to me! I had it folded and they just glanced at it and tossed it! So it must not be very important? They also printed out the 'migration' cards for you. Not sure if that is the norm now but it was nice not having to fill them out!:)

it's not for the passport control; it's for getting the visa.

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I would like to add a quick side question. If you already have a 3year ME tourist visa to Russia, do you need to get a business visa if I am going in to do work as a contractor being paid by a US company?

Will they require me to have 2 visas? this was never a problem when I could only get the 30day visas. :D

Patrick and Yulia

Timeline

I would like to add a quick side question. If you already have a 3year ME tourist visa to Russia, do you need to get a business visa if I am going in to do work as a contractor being paid by a US company?

Will they require me to have 2 visas? this was never a problem when I could only get the 30day visas. :D

You will have to get a business visa and they will void your tourist visa, as far as I know. If your company cares about doing things semi-legally, anyway. Whether they will know about your actual activities in Russia, well... There is always a chance of a raid on companies that employ foreign workers.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

thats what I thought. the more i read the more I saw you can only have one. I think I would rather have a 3yME business visa. but I dont want to get in trouble going to visit family either... They do things very by the book at my company, and I especially want to play by the rules since I care more about going to visit family than working on a project there. Wouldnt want to be banned.

Patrick and Yulia

Timeline

thats what I thought. the more i read the more I saw you can only have one. I think I would rather have a 3yME business visa. but I dont want to get in trouble going to visit family either... They do things very by the book at my company, and I especially want to play by the rules since I care more about going to visit family than working on a project there. Wouldnt want to be banned.

I'm sure it's fine. I know lots of people who lived in Russia for years on business visas they simply purchased.

Первый блин комом.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I'd like to get information on getting myself, a US citizen, a visa to Russia. My questions are as follows:

1. How long does it take?

2. I'll be going to visit my girlfriend in Russia and stay with her and her family. Should I get a private visa or a tourist visa?

3. If I get a private visa, I read that my girlfriend will have to send me an original invitation. On FedEx's site I see that it costs $139 to ship from Krasnoyarsk to Dallas. Does this sound about right? It seems awfully expensive for just an envelope.

4. I read that I should book my plane tickets before applying for the visa because they want to see the itinerary. How far out should I book in order to ensure I get my visa before my trip? I'd like to go as soon as possible.

5. Can anyone here recommend an agency through which I should file the application?

Any other tips or advice is certain welcomed.

Thanks!

Hi,

I got my 'new' Russian three year visa last week!!:)) Multiple entries and good for 182 days over three years. not to bad really for an extra hundred bucks!:)

event.png

Timeline

Hi everyone! I do not really know if that is the right place to write, but I have a little question to make sure what I need to do. My fiancé is visiting me this Christmas to Russia and I want to sent him the invitation. So I need to know what kind of invitation it should be. I mean should it be just written in word doc and then emailed to him or it should be stamped as well and signed by some officials? Before it was enough to have an invitation from a hotel, but now he stays with our family at home. Thank you for any help. Have everyone a good Sunday!:)

as1cMf90g410020MDAwMTg3NHN8MDAwMTM5OGx8T1VSIE5PQTI.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.