TJandJR

another birth cert question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Although am still putting together i29 pack we are doing whatever can be done on his side in Lagos. Which brings us to the birth certificate. I've read many posts regarding this and still confused. He has an Age Declaration from the court. Can he use this to get a certified copy of his BC? Will he need to show anything else with it (passport? Something from his mom?)? He lives in Lagos but born in Ijebu Ode state of Ogun. Can he get it in Lagos or must he travel to Ogun? Thanking you again. In advance.

Filed: Timeline

Although am still putting together i29 pack we are doing whatever can be done on his side in Lagos. Which brings us to the birth certificate. I've read many posts regarding this and still confused. He has an Age Declaration from the court. Can he use this to get a certified copy of his BC? Will he need to show anything else with it (passport? Something from his mom?)? He lives in Lagos but born in Ijebu Ode state of Ogun. Can he get it in Lagos or must he travel to Ogun? Thanking you again. In advance.

AFAIK he'll have to go to his local government area.

The Gowon is also from Ijebu Ode :yes:

Timeline

From the same place? Cool. I guess he'll have to appear in person? He just started a new job so maybe we need to wait a lil while. What will he need to show them? Anyone know the cost?

Timeline

That is what Julius has but I read Lagos won't accept the age declaration from the court as a substitute for the birth certificate. maybe someone who has this experience at the interview can clarify.

That is what Julius has but I read Lagos won't accept the age declaration from the court as a substitute for the birth certificate. maybe someone who has this experience at the interview can clarify.

You're doing the right thing by asking these questions.

The ultimate authority is those who have actually been to the interview. Read latest Enbassy review and contact that poster.

Here's another thread and yet another.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Declaration of age and Attestation of age are two different documents... You get a declaration of age from any high court in Nigeria but a Declaration of age is issiued but the National Population commission in Nigeria.. And for you to get an Attestation of Age , you will need a declaration of age which you already have..So what your fiance needs to do now is just go to the nearest National Population Commission in Lagos to apply for the Attestation of age.. He should go there with his travel passport and also 2 passport pictures .. it cos only #2500 and it will be ready in 2weeks

Timeline

Timeline

Back to the same question... Birth certificate or age attestation thing? I read those threads gown. I'm still confused. I'm either tired or stupid. Lol. Need to hear from someone who has gone through it. So far I got... Use age declaration to get age attestation. Can be done in Lagos although he was born in Ogun. I'm going to get some rest and read all this again tomorrow. Gowon... God bless you both on your upcoming interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Honestly dont stress about it now, you have at least 5 months to figure out that part. I would personally recommend getting birth certificate. Is he not going to home in the next 5 months to collect it? I have a friend with a student visa get ther declaration of age in lagos, he said he to pay something extra though, but I dont knw what

The ultimate authority is those who have actually been to the interview. Read latest Enbassy review and contact that poster.

I'm that reviewer and here's what we posted about getting a BC: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/378516-long-form-birth-certificate/page__p__5536417__fromsearch__1#entry5536417

And I would recommend getting the BC before your NOA2 if possible. This is one of those things that it's just easier to get out of the way (unlike the police report and medical exams which have time restrictions). Not sure if you went to CSC or VSC but hopefully you'll receive your NOA2 soon.

Best wishes!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I was on both thread links posted by Gowon and Yeppers. Unfortunately, contrary to what I questioned in my thread, his parents were born in Edo and my hubby was born in Lagos #gotconfused :bonk: ...so I can't help as far as getting the BC from a different state.

TJandJR your hubby can also do the following, according to the state department website, if he just can't get his BC US State Department

Unobtainable birth certificates

If your birth record is not obtainable for any reason, a certified statement must be obtained from the appropriate government authority explaining why your birth record is unavailable. You must also submit secondary evidence such as:

A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth, as well as both parents names (providing the baptism took place shortly after birth)

An adoption decree for an adopted child

An affidavit from a close relative, preferably your mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parents names, and your mother’s maiden name.

Note: An affidavit executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations must also be provided. More specific information is available from the NVC.

Edited by Aya820

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.