Sandris&Jim

Divorcee decrees of the USC at the interview

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Dear All, I (the foreign fiancee) am just waiting for my NOA2 but I would like to do some work in advance.. My fiance is divorced and I wonder if his divorce decree has to be apostilled for my interview in Caracas (I am venezuelan). I visited USCIS webpage but they do not say anything about it.

Can somebody clarify?

May God be with you All and grant you guys the strenght and wisdom to continue this path.

Thank you so much!

sandra.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

If the beneficiary is divorced of course you need the apostille stamp on the divorce decree. If the US citizen is the divorce one, you dont need his divorce decree for anything cause he already submitted in the k1 visa. My husband was divorce and in the moment of my interview they never asked me his divorced decree, actually is NOT listed in the items require for the interview. If the beneficiary is divorced, must take his/hers divorced decree with the apostille. FYI the apostille in venezuela only has a useful life of 3 month, after that time, the document is totally usless. Try to get the apostille of all your documents, ONCE, you have an interview appointment

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, you may need your petitioner's divorce decree and you should have the original divorce decree with you at the interview. The petitioner submitted a copy of the divorce decree with the I-129f, but USCIS/DOS has the right to request to see the original of any copy submitted to USCIS/DOS. When I had my K-1 interview, I was asked for the originals of my husband's two divorce decrees and the adjudicator actually had to call in a consult on one of them (the first!) because i was in a different format than he had seen before. I know my then fiancee was very reluctant to let the originals out of his sight, but he did and I'm glad or I may have received an RFE at the interview instead of the Visa. So, you do need to bring the original document from which the copy was made. You may or may not need it, but if you do, you will have it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Actually, you may need your petitioner's divorce decree and you should have the original divorce decree with you at the interview. The petitioner submitted a copy of the divorce decree with the I-129f, but USCIS/DOS has the right to request to see the original of any copy submitted to USCIS/DOS. When I had my K-1 interview, I was asked for the originals of my husband's two divorce decrees and the adjudicator actually had to call in a consult on one of them (the first!) because i was in a different format than he had seen before. I know my then fiancee was very reluctant to let the originals out of his sight, but he did and I'm glad or I may have received an RFE at the interview instead of the Visa. So, you do need to bring the original document from which the copy was made. You may or may not need it, but if you do, you will have it.

She should have in case she need it but you cant apostille a non venezuelan document. When the embassy send us our email with list it wasn't listed and they don't ask anything that is not in the list. But for peace of mind she can take her with her. Obviously without the apostille

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Andreita! thank you so much for your feedback!! I did not know about the 3 months expiration on Venezuelan Apostilles. The question came up because in this site, they listed the divorce decrees as requirement for both (beneficiary and USC) http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#4. In any case, I will request him to send it to me. Just in Case.

ALL my documents are apostilled BUT since March.... so here we go once and again!! :(

Dear Zookeeper, Thank you for your comments. Actually our situation should be similar as yours.

God bless you girls!

Timeline

Your welcome! And yes is only 3 month!! Naturally, the police record (antecedentes penales) is only usefull for 3 month only (with or without the apostille) but the birth certificate doesn't have an exp date, but with the apostille id only 3 month. A year ago was 6 month but the minister change it! Thank God el gestor I hired knew it (so do I) and we wait. I was approved on january 19, but we didn't have a date until late february...so when I finally have we started gathering all the documents. Remember that you can have them all in spanish for your interview, but once you are you will need to have a version in spanish and another oficially translate to english, cause you will them both for your AoS package. I did the translation here in the US. Back to topic, bring your fiance's divorce decree if you want to, for peace of mind, but once you get the interview app, they also send you a list so you will see is not need it

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.