CarolinaGirl

IR-1 visa issued Sept 17 expires in 3 weeks??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question for those of you who have been through this already. We picked up my husbands passport and IV package at DHL today and when I looked at the visa it says it was issued Sept 17 2012 and it expires Oct 11 2012. I thought we had 6 months from when it was issued?? That's only 3 weeks from today?!?

I guess my question is does that sound normal? And can we just plan a weekend trip to the US to activate it and then come back to Canada to finish up our business here?

Edited by CarolinaGirl

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am not sure how your embassy works or if it is the same for all countries but I know in Nigeria that the Visa is good for 6months from date of issue or 6 months from medical exam which every is first. So if he had his medical 5 months ago or so that would probably be why you only have 3 weeks. Check with your embassy guidlines but that is probably it.

event.png

event.png

I have a question for those of you who have been through this already. We picked up my husbands passport and IV package at DHL today and when I looked at the visa it says it was issued Sept 17 2012 and it expires Oct 11 2012. I thought we had 6 months from when it was issued?? That's only 3 weeks from today?!?

I guess my question is does that sound normal? And can we just plan a weekend trip to the US to activate it and then come back to Canada to finish up our business here?

When did you have your medical? When they issue your visa, they take into consideration when your medical was, not just the interview date.

But yeah, you can just visit the US, activate it, then return to Canada to tie up any loose ends. A lot of Canadians do this.

Yeah, his medical was done in April so I suppose that's the reason. I guess we'll have a weekend trip to the US in the next couple of weeks! Thanks!

Yeah, if it was in April, add 6 months, that's an expiration in October.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So Saylin- do you know are we likely to get any hassle at the border because we don't have all of our stuff to move with us? Should we tell them that we are just coming over to activate the visa before we go back home and finish up with getting ready to move? I feel like it's a bit more than tying up loose ends, we have to give notice on our apartment, give notice to work and sell or pack up our entire place... it's going to be at least another month or even two before we can actually relocate.

So Saylin- do you know are we likely to get any hassle at the border because we don't have all of our stuff to move with us? Should we tell them that we are just coming over to activate the visa before we go back home and finish up with getting ready to move? I feel like it's a bit more than tying up loose ends, we have to give notice on our apartment, give notice to work and sell or pack up our entire place... it's going to be at least another month or even two before we can actually relocate.

There's always the chance you'll get a hassle, but they should still let you through. Most officers understand there's loose ends to tie up and it can take time. And those were the loose ends I were talking about: lease, job, packing, etc.

Fair enough... I guess I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the loose ends :) I'll just be glad when it's all done and we're moved! Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be much better once you've actually moved to the US and are completely done with Canada.

And you're welcome ^_^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.