Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

RFE for no birth certificate for Chinese abroad

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am in the process of applying for GC for my parents through concurrent I130 + I485 filing. We received an RFE on my dad's I-485 requesting a non-availability certificate of his birth certificate. The problem is my dad was born in China back in the 1930s and moved to Hong Kong when he was a kid. Since he left such a long time ago, he doesn't have a birth certificate, hukou or Chinese ID card. He only has ID documents from Hong Kong. We were able to obtain a sworn affidavit of his birth from his cousin in China, but the RFE said that is only considered secondary evidence. Where can we get non-availability certificate in China? Since he is here in the US awaiting AOS, he is not able to leave the US to apply in person. We did submit I-131 for AP for him but I read that an RFE on I485 would essentially put processing of the AP on hold. Could I or a relative apply on his behalf? We only have 87 days to respond to the RFE and the clock is already ticking fast.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I say call into USCIS, get an ISO, and go over this with an ISO.

DO NOT waste time with a CSR. Use a Telephone, ask for an ISO,

and go over this stuff.

Good Luck !

ps- he does have a HKG Passport, and a HKG ID card, so that's a plus.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't think I could contact them directly for an RFE. I will give that a try.

WHAT HAPPENED? I am kind of in the same situation....HELP.

I'm Canadian on a TN and he's my American boy!

11/10/2009 - Started dating officially
08/24/2010 - Received TN-1 (expires 08/24/2011)
08/24/2011 - Renewed TN-1 (expires 05/06/2013)
12/17/2011 - Got engaged
11/10/2012 - Got married <3
01/10/2013 - Conducted last minute document check tongue.png
01/11/2013 - Documents submitted
01/14/2013 - Documents received by FBAS-USCIS @ Chicago Lockbox
01/17/2013 - NOA1 received. Application routed to NBC for processing
01/25/2013 - Biometrics scheduled (on February 14)
01/30/2013 - RFE received for Foreign Birth Certificate (sh*t)
03/10/2013 - Sent in response to RFE
04/03/2013 - AP approved
04/09/2013 - EAD approved
06/03/2013 - Interview scheduled!

06/03/2013 - AOS approved dancin5hr.gif

08/15/2013 - Green card received!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.