loosegee

Driving License??

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Trying to get an idea of what things i need to do within the first few weeks after moving to California while i wait for my SSN to arrive.

I currently have a UK drivers license. I will be entering under IR-1/CR-1 January 2013 so adjustment of status isn't an issue.

I think i remember reading somewhere that new residents in California MUST apply for or exchange their drivers license within 7 or 10 days or something like that.

So my question is, as a new resident of California MUST i apply for a California license within this 7-10 day period? I understand that i will have to sit a driving test and wont be able to just exchange my license. Or can i continue to use my UK license for up to a year or so?

My wife tells me that i wont be able to get car insurance if i don't have a US license so i'm kind of a little confused about what i need to do and when.

Before anyone suggests it, i've been all over the California DMV site and can't find a clear answer to this so i'm hoping some people on here having actual experience. Cheers

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

No, you actually can't because it requires that you have ssn. So you'll have to wait for that to show up, or apply for it if it doesn't show up.

Here's one who went through it not that long ago; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/311775-california-driver-license-written-test/page__view__findpost__p__5376897

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks for the link Moomin. Appreciate it

Np.

Bear in mind that DMV checks your immigration status and the driver's license will expire when your current greencard/stamp expires(when it's time to ROC). If you're entering on a CR1, that would be 2 years.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Trying to get an idea of what things i need to do within the first few weeks after moving to California while i wait for my SSN to arrive.

I currently have a UK drivers license. I will be entering under IR-1/CR-1 January 2013 so adjustment of status isn't an issue.

I think i remember reading somewhere that new residents in California MUST apply for or exchange their drivers license within 7 or 10 days or something like that.

So my question is, as a new resident of California MUST i apply for a California license within this 7-10 day period? I understand that i will have to sit a driving test and wont be able to just exchange my license. Or can i continue to use my UK license for up to a year or so?

My wife tells me that i wont be able to get car insurance if i don't have a US license so i'm kind of a little confused about what i need to do and when.

Before anyone suggests it, i've been all over the California DMV site and can't find a clear answer to this so i'm hoping some people on here having actual experience. Cheers

You can get car insurance on a foreign license. Just not all insurance providers will allow it. I'm insured on my British license with State Farm. They also gave me a "good driver" discount when I provided the paper portion of my license showing that I hadn't gotten any points.

The law is quite grey as too whether or not you can drive on your foreign license. I guess it depends on how you define being a resident of California. It can mean different things to different people. I missed the deadline to apply for my CA license - you have up until 14 (something like that, I think, maybe someone else can clarify?) days before the expiry of your I-94 to apply. After that you can wait for your EAD - which shows proof of legal residency to apply. So, I"ve been driving round on mine as I hadn't been approved for my AOS, nor received my EAD, so inmy head I'm not yet a resident of California...wouldn;t like to have a run in with an officer as I'm not sure how well my argument would stand up in a court of law.

Hope that helps.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, you cannot use your UK license in Cali because you're not a tourist. Driving with an international license is a privilege for tourists and temporary visitors only. You must apply CA driver's license within 10 days of becoming a CA resident. As far as DMV is concerned, you become a California resident the day you arrived in CA. That's the official rule anyway. In reality, I'm sure many people fail to apply within 10 days because I mean 10 days!!?? come on. Your SSN might not even come within 10 days.

You just need to go there and ask. That is the best thing you can do. I just renewed my long expired (over 1 year) CA license without a problem. One suggestion: if you happened to get a mean uptight DMV rep, just leave and try another time or another location and ask the same question. Some DMV ppl are very understanding and helpful. You want to talk to those nice people :thumbs:

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.